Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for first guitar <$700

David R

Hey all, visiting from the keyboard world.

Planning on picking up my first electric guitar sometime soon. I had been looking at the Godin Session HT but a guitarist I trust advised me against it. His comments are that it plays really well but doesn't sound great, and he suggested just getting a Fender. Looking for something in a similar price range ($700 CAD). I love Thinline Teles and Teles with humbuckers in either the neck or bridge (not quite as interested in the Deluxe), not opposed to a Strat-style either.

What I've seen in my budget that interests me: Squier Classic Vibe Thinline Teles; Fender Player Series; Gretsch Electromatic Jet. Thoughts on Squier vs. Fender Player? Has anyone tried the G5220 or G5232T? Things to watch out for on guitars in this price range? A guitar or model that I'm missing in my list?

Not really interested in buying a used guitar unless I could see and try it in person â which, with the pandemic, is not going to happen.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the link below, and look at some of the guitars, they are clones of the originals but far cheaper. I have an Agile Strat Clone that I purchased there, and I would put that up against any Fender Strat for quality, play ability, and looks.

https://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

You are in Montreal, a big city. I've never been there, I hear it is lovely.

For $700 I would shop for used guitars and take the trips to see them if you must.

You can get a LOT of used guitar for that money, at least I could here in little Bellingham.

First and foremost, ALWAYS play the guitar unamplified, not plugged in. It should sound crisp, clear and have good sustain. If it passes, then plug it in with a clean, clear tone set on the amp.

The Godin guitars are fine instruments. I would not let one player's opinion of probably one guitar sway your decision too much.

If you try one and it plays and feels great to you, then it might just be your guitar. If your friend doesn't like it then he will never try to borrow it!!! :laugh:

Be aware that individual guitars made by the same manufacturer are different and so are the tones that people like. Also bear in mind that if you buy an electric guitar then the tone of your amp will play a huge part.

This is worth spending a little time on, don't get impatient and end up wishing you'd gotten something else.

FWIW, I'm a guitar tech. I've bought and sold hundreds of guitars and played and adjusted thousands.

Leave some money in your budget for a proper set up, you won't regret it if the tech is good. Welcome to guitar!!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yeah, I played that Godin in the shop years ago (or a similar model that's been discontinued) and I should have bought it back then. The guy I spoke to works for a distributor, so he has seen a lot of gear come and go through his hands.

I'll keep an eye on Reverb et al, and see if anyone I know is unloading stuff. We're entering a new phase of lockdown here so I won't be able to get to any shops in person, another reason why I'm leaning towards new.

I had a lead on a great Guild Starfire last year, but I didn't have the time or money to invest in playing guitar at that time. Should have bought it anyway. Live and learn.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Personally, I own two Godins, and I want to own more. Perhaps your friend"s taste in tone differs from yours; try one out for yourself. Besides that, if you REALLY like the way a particular guitar feels but not the tone, a pickup swap might just solve that issue.

In that price range, I"d also look at G&L Tribute series guitars, Yamaha Pacifica (611 maybe) or the Revstars. Another option- if you dig Les Paul style guitars- us something like an Electra Omega.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Thoughts on Squier vs. Fender Player? Has anyone tried the G5220 or G5232T? Not really interested in buying a used guitar unless I could see and try it in person â which, with the pandemic, is not going to happen.

The Squier Classic Vibe series Guitars are very nice Guitars, and very affordable; the Fender Player series are just up-market Squiers, in a sense, as they're also Chinese-made, but get to have the Fender name on their head stocks. From the Guitars I've handled in each series, the Classic Vibe Guitars were more convincing.

G&L's Tribute series is well worth a look, and some of the ASAT models (G&L's "Tele") have the noiseless PU's. I liked the sound and feel of G&L's Tribute series over the Squier Classic Vibe and the Fender Player series. If I were offered a choice right now, I'd take a G&L.

I have a Godin Freeway SA, which I have mixed feelings about. Build quality and materials are excellent, but . . . I really bought it for the Hex Pickup System that allows me to play my Roland Guitar Synths with it. Still, it's been my main performance Instrument for years now, and never failed me.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Didn't realize the G&Ls were in my price range. That ASAT Bluesboy is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks all... will report back when I make a decision & purchase.

My Site

Yeah, G&L Legacy stuff is good, and also Schecter if you want hum buckers (though they also occasionally make Fender tributes). And as stated, Epi makes some good budget models (as does Squier, if you focus mostly on Classic Vibe series), but I've mostly had good luck with Epi stuff that is over $600 and closer to $900.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I take out a pair of upper end Pacifica guitars I really like that are below $700. But I would buy them off the shelf. I"ve played a couple that weren"t the greatest. They vary in feel. But mine feel like my old 71 Strat. Note- They look great but the flame veneers are really thin so don"t do anything crazy like relic them. I measured the veneers when drilling for my kill switches.

$700 is a pretty sweet price point these days.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt