Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey, Mac people! You're rich! Spend more!

I guess this answers the question "So what's wrong with collecting my personal data? I don't care if ads show up for stuff that resembles my searches."

Mac Users May See Pricier Options on Orbitz

The good news, of course is that you don't actually pay more if you book the same room on Mac or Windows...just that if you use a Mac, you're initially steered toward higher-price options.

But...airlines already quote higher prices if they think your spending habits justify it. If you book a flight to the same destination, on the same flight, with the same airline, as someone else, it's entirely possible that one of you will be shown a higher ticket price than the other. In this case it's not steering you to a higher price, it's an actual price difference that you have to pay when you're booking the flight.

If I ever get to book a flight again, I should probably do it from my Windows desktop, not my Mac laptop. What's next? Making sure you go into a car dealership with a cheap Android instead of an iPhone?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peanuts - Oh No!!! There is a small fraction of the public that is allergic to peanuts. Instead of a treat that is actually nutritious, you'll get a little bag of pretzels full of carbs, salt, and preservatives you cannot pronounce.

I don't want to distress or harm someone who is allergic to peanuts, but surely there is a better choice than the little bag of pretzels.

That's why I bring a zip-lock baggie with my own roasted mixed nuts (sans peanuts).

When I landed in Australia in 2018 I didn't finish the nuts, as Air Canada actually had pretty decent food and I slept a lot on the plane.

I got to customs and that dog came sniffing at my pocket. They asked me what it was, I told them mixed nuts and showed them, and told them if they weren't allowed I'd be glad to surrender them. They looked at my customs form and because I claimed the nuts, they told me to keep them. And the dog got a dog biscuit. So I feel good about indirectly giving the dog a treat. ;)

I wanted to pat the dog on the head, but I knew it wasn't a cool thing to do.

But that's off on a tangent.

When looking for airfares, use a VPN, and a different account. When you find what you want, before you go back, clear your cookies, shut your browser down and reboot, shut your VPN off and back on so it registers a different ISP number and then go back. If they see you coming back, the bots in the software has been known to raise the price.

I started with Macs with a Classic II, Motorola CPU and System 6 (OS6). I bailed at OSX with IBM CPUs. Since my 'other' business is writing styles for Band-in-a-Box and since the StyleMaker app on BiaB/PC is and has always been better than the same app in the Mac (not the Mac's fault, BiaB leans PC). When PG Music finally made the style and song data identical for both Mac and PCs, I saw no need to stay on both platforms.

My main business of gigging with backing tracks demands a computer. I bring one and a spare, but if both break, I can get a PC anywhere, not so for a Mac. That's insurance. I use ThinkPad laptops, and they are pretty much bulletproof. I just retired a 2002 ThinkPad because the CMOS battery died, I replaced it, and it didn't fix the problem. It still works, but I have to set date and time when it boots.

So I get better deals by using Windows? I'll take them.

If my software needs were Mac oriented, I'd switch. I'm not a fanboy of either.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I'm a Mac user. Google, Facebook, eBay, and many websites share user data between them. This became obvious when FB would post ads directly related to a recent search on Google. Google ads on other websites related to recent searches. Open an eBay auction from FB and they'll smother you with more eBay ads. TOO MUCH!

Since then, I refused to open ANY websites when I have FB open. I always shut down my browser then re-open it to surf my other usual haunts. The only search engine I use now is DuckDuckGo.com. That put a stop to sharing user data.

When looking for airfares, use a VPN, and a different account. When you find what you want, before you go back, clear your cookies, shut your browser down and reboot, shut your VPN off and back on so it registers a different ISP number and then go back. If they see you coming back, the bots in the software has been known to raise the price.

That's a GREAT tip!!!

I'm a Mac user. Google, Facebook, eBay, and many websites share user data between them. This became obvious when FB would post ads directly related to a recent search on Google. Google ads on other websites related to recent searches. Open an eBay auction from FB and they'll smother you with more eBay ads. TOO MUCH!

Since then, I refused to open ANY websites when I have FB open. I always shut down my browser then re-open it to surf my other usual haunts. The only search engine I use now is DuckDuckGo.com. That put a stop to sharing user data.

Have you tried Bravo browser? I was going to install it but got distracted. It is also supposed to enhance personal privacy by not storing information.

I use DuckDuckGo and it's good.

I also run an ad blocker - highly recommended.

I don't currently have a Facebook account, I am not sure I miss it but I can see it being good for driving traffic to other places that might monetize more efficiently.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

To browse anonymously, you might want to try Tor Browser. Maybe use that one for FB and your normal browser for everything else.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...