Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Montage vs Modx

I'm still workstation shopping in the background and now that Montage and Kronos both have little siblings seeing it saving money is worth it. Here's a video from Yamaha's Blake Angelos talking mainly Modx, but at end give quick rundown differences, but I hear there are more like the sound quality the computer interfaces send to computer.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm,

"but I hear there are more like the sound quality the computer interfaces send to computer. "

tube]

no comprende here,

esp " the computer interfaces send to computer."

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Great video. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't ever really played a MODX or Montage. I think I was at NAMM when one or both were introduced and have a recollection of not being able to get time with one.

I love the lightweight form factor of the MODX. I also love the way the Montage looks on stage. There have been a few shows I've seen with a Montage perched on top of a B3 cabinet. It has a substantial presence.

" the computer interfaces send to computer."

presumably this...

MONTAGE 6/7/8

The MONTAGE can function as a 32-in/6-out, 24-bit audio interface for your computer when you operate at 44.1kHz. The AD IN can utilize the A-to-D capability of the MONTAGE. What that means is there are 32 simultaneous Outputs from the MONTAGE... You can configure these as individual buses or configure them as odd/even stereo pairs, as you require.

16 Stereo/44.1kHz: Audio data sending capability for the instrument is a maximum 32 channels (16 stereo channels) at a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz.

4 Stereo/44.1-192kHz: Audio data sending capability for the instrument is a maximum 8 channels (4 stereo channels) for a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.

NOTE When '4 Stereo/44.1-192kHz' is selected, available frequencies are only 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, or 192 kHz.

MODX 6/7/8

The MODX can function as a 10-in/4-out audio interface for your computer. The AD IN can utilize the A-to-D capability of the MODX.

The MODX operates at 44.1kHz, 24-bit

from https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/yamaha-keyboards-besides-montage-that-output-196-24bit-audio

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Partial quote by ERIC

"I also love the way the Montage looks on stage. There have been a few shows I've seen with a Montage perched on top of a B3 cabinet. It has a substantial presence"

Wait a minute brother Eric, you're impressed with the way the Montage LOOKS? I thought that was reserved for members of the opposite sex. :/

Note to Blake, GREAT demo. You covered some great musical B&B sounds and demoed great weird sounds to add to a live performance just for fun. The Modx7 is $1599. What a deal. : :cool:

Mike T. .

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

There"s higher-quality output circuitry in the Montage:

PAC circuitry

" the computer interfaces send to computer."

presumably this...

MONTAGE 6/7/8

The MONTAGE can function as a 32-in/6-out, 24-bit audio interface for your computer when you operate at 44.1kHz. The AD IN can utilize the A-to-D capability of the MONTAGE. What that means is there are 32 simultaneous Outputs from the MONTAGE... You can configure these as individual buses or configure them as odd/even stereo pairs, as you require.

16 Stereo/44.1kHz: Audio data sending capability for the instrument is a maximum 32 channels (16 stereo channels) at a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz.

4 Stereo/44.1-192kHz: Audio data sending capability for the instrument is a maximum 8 channels (4 stereo channels) for a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.

NOTE When '4 Stereo/44.1-192kHz' is selected, available frequencies are only 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, or 192 kHz.

MODX 6/7/8

The MODX can function as a 10-in/4-out audio interface for your computer. The AD IN can utilize the A-to-D capability of the MODX.

The MODX operates at 44.1kHz, 24-bit

from https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/yamaha-keyboards-besides-montage-that-output-196-24bit-audio

Found a website that does a technical deep dive into the differences between Montage and Modx.

Modx v Montage under the hood

Side note my new MIDI controller arrived today and I unboxed it. It let me know I'm in my 70's, its 46 lbs of just keys, but very acoustic like feel. So after setting this up the lightweight of the Modx is starting to sound really good to me.

Found a website that does a technical deep dive into the differences between Montage and Modx.

This is a really nice article!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

There are technical differences between the Montage and MODX but IMO, they sound the same.

Great move for Yamaha in being able hit all price points. Think Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If not for the keyboard the Modx would be a easy decision, but I hate those narrow keys. I hear the Montage keys are a bit narrow too. I wish I could lay hands on a Montage none around here maybe once covid calms down I can do a day trip to Hollywood and check some boards out. I was looking at Yamaha's past update/upgrade cycles and Montage is in the window for something. That site with the internals has a couple more articles and possibilities with same circuit board and people requesting VA (virtual analogue). But as the articles point out the time and cost for Yamaha isn't the hardware they are set for years to come, the time consuming and costly part is the software running on those boards.

If not for the keyboard the Modx would be a easy decision, but I hate those narrow keys. I hear the Montage keys are a bit narrow too.

AFAIK, going back at least as far as the DX7, EVERY Yamah non-hammer board has slightly narrow keys. Hammer action models do not.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If not for the keyboard the Modx would be a easy decision, but I hate those narrow keys. I hear the Montage keys are a bit narrow too.

AFAIK, going back at least as far as the DX7, EVERY Yamaha non-hammer board has slightly narrow keys. Hammer action models do not.

Thanks good to know. I'm still new to world of keyboard so would you say that is the norm for all companies non-hammer keybeds?

If not for the keyboard the Modx would be a easy decision, but I hate those narrow keys. I hear the Montage keys are a bit narrow too. I wish I could lay hands on a Montage none around here maybe once covid calms down I can do a day trip to Hollywood and check some boards out. I was looking at Yamaha's past update/upgrade cycles and Montage is in the window for something. That site with the internals has a couple more articles and possibilities with same circuit board and people requesting VA (virtual analogue). But as the articles point out the time and cost for Yamaha isn't the hardware they are set for years to come, the time consuming and costly part is the software running on those boards.

the shelter order is now in place in CA. It might be some time before you find a music store thats open plus has the exact MODX config you want.

I assume you are talking MODX 6 or 7.

At some point, you could simply do a try and buy on line. get clear on your obligation for return shipping cost.

I think the retailers expect 'try and buy/or return in 30 days ' since Covid has been spreading all year.

The MODX 88 keys are a reasonable choice. I have stated this a few times.

As far as the MODX 6 or 7, you could try/buy/return , and simply decide if you can adapt, or not.

There is only so much opinion seeking will inform you or tell you exactly what you can expect.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

AFAIK, going back at least as far as the DX7, EVERY Yamaha non-hammer board has slightly narrow keys. Hammer action models do not.

Thanks good to know. I'm still new to world of keyboard so would you say that is the norm for all companies non-hammer keybeds?

No, it is a Yamaha peculiarity.

If you get ModX I hope you will never need some aftertouch.

I was just using the excellent fatar TP8s AT today with layers from my Access Virus TI and JV1010, two 16 part multitimbral dinosaurs.

SO sweet.

Montage is a performance benchmark, not for nothing. Can the ModX auto sample like the Montage? I suspect there are bunch of little things the ModX does not do, which the Montage does, you won't notice till you want them.

The PC4 seems like the best budget workstation, and yes, of course, it frigging has aftertouch.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Thanks! In case people are looking for direct links to the Montage articles, they are:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-internals-revisted/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/musing-about-montage-va/

I wrote the Montage VA article before Yamaha released the YC61. The YC61 got me thinking that my VA article was a little too pessimistic about adding VA to the Montage hardware. I need to deep dive YC61 some day...

The MODX and Montage digital audio busses need a deep dive, too. Both instruments have a Yamaha SSP2 processor for handling the external audio interface (USB To HOST), but Montage has far more extensive routing and rate conversion. If I were choosing between Montage and MODX as the center of a recording studio, I'd go Montage. It's like having a mini-UR built in. PAC is a plus, too.

Best for the holdays -- pj

Technology Blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

I"m selling my S70/XS and wanted something that feels just as good but with 88 keys, so the Montage 8 is perfect for me. But, I"m no longer interested in playing out. If I was, I may go for the lighter options; the Montage 8 is pretty heavy.

Yes at 63 lbs it's more than I want even for playing at home.

Thanks! In case people are looking for direct links to the Montage articles, they are:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-internals-revisted/

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/musing-about-montage-va/

I wrote the Montage VA article before Yamaha released the YC61. The YC61 got me thinking that my VA article was a little too pessimistic about adding VA to the Montage hardware. I need to deep dive YC61 some day...

The MODX and Montage digital audio busses need a deep dive, too. Both instruments have a Yamaha SSP2 processor for handling the external audio interface (USB To HOST), but Montage has far more extensive routing and rate conversion. If I were choosing between Montage and MODX as the center of a recording studio, I'd go Montage. It's like having a mini-UR built in. PAC is a plus, too.

Best for the holdays -- pj

Technology Blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

This is one of the best blogs I"ve come at.

Highly recommended.