Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cinder blocks?

Just moved my studio across the hall this week! It was really more of a practice space before, but I'll be able to do some more full productions now, basically anything that isn't drums or a group of players.

My monitors had previously just been sitting on a cheap little plastic table with my laptop and interface. I almost pulled the trigger on some monitor stands (standard Yorkvilles from Long & McQuade) but decided to rethink it. Reviews are split on the product quality and durability, and although they're not that expensive, I am about to go on a bit of shopping spree, so I'm (as usual) trying to stretch every dollar.

A local acquaintance (who's doing quite well for himself as a pop producer) has his monitors on cinder blocks (with some isolation in between). They cost about $5 a pop, depending on where I get em. I'm thinking of just building myself a couple columns for each monitor (Adam F7s), plus a couple more with some spare shelves I have for a visual monitor stand and keyboard/mouse setup.

Thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my monitors on a stack of cinder blocks. It thoroughly isolates them from anything that would vibrate and get in the way of the direct sound. I heartily recommend it instead of expensive stands (and I recommend expensive stands over cheap stands). Takes up a little more room than stands, but they're more effective.

You can wrap the column in scrap carpet if you want to make them prettier. I've been thinking of doing that myself for years, but somehow never got a round tuit.

Thanks Mike. Yep, the stability is a big draw, especially since my cat does come into the room (sometimes with a little too much energy). I'll attach pictures when I start talking room treatment, but it's hardwood, so I'll probably sit the blocks on little carpets, then have a small pad of some sort for the monitors themselves. I also like the idea of reducing the reflective surfaces of a large desk with these little shelves, hopefully keeping the actual computer and other stuff a bit further to the side.

I live in an area where seismic activity has potential to become rather vigorous. On the west coast in the north Puget Sound area and not far from the Straits of Juan DeFuca.

The tectonic plate named The Juan DeFuca Plate" is subducting under the North American plate. It will get stuck and suddenly surge a bit, causing for the most part - small tremors.

I'd like some monitor stands too, currently they are on the upper shelf shelf of a two shelf desk, which does put them at ear level. I've got thick pieces of packing foam underneath, they were used to pack expensive aircraft parts and are not your usual packing foam. They absorb most vibration unless you get loud - which is something I don't do much at all.

My thoughts run more along the lines of a couple of 4' long pieces of large diameter PVC pipe with well crafted tops and bottoms and filled with sand. But I see no reason not to use cinderblocks if the earth you live in is pretty calm.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

There was a tornado here in 1980, some big forest fires and a couple floods in other areas of the province in recent years. Overall, some of the safest lands nature-wise (since I'm not on the floodplain down by the river).

The room isn't huge, but I think it's big enough to handle it. I've gotta be efficient with other stuff anyway, and I think this will help keep the monitor area clean.

There was a tornado here in 1980, some big forest fires and a couple floods in other areas of the province in recent years. Overall, some of the safest lands nature-wise (since I'm not on the floodplain down by the river).

The room isn't huge, but I think it's big enough to handle it. I've gotta be efficient with other stuff anyway, and I think this will help keep the monitor area clean.

Sounds good to me, Nature bats last. None of those things vibrate the earth.

We all gotta take our chances one way or another. I like the idea of solid monitor stands and it's a plus that you can move those a little at a time to anywhere you want them.

They'll never wear out either.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This is an interesting and worthwhile idea... I have never thought about it because I use stands with carpet spikes, which is a little trickier with cinder blocks :)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Remember Ultimate Support "A-frame" stands for keyboards? I have a wide one that can accommodate an 88 note controller like my Kurzweil MIDIBoard. The MB is heavy enough that it needs two poles with tier arms under it. So I re-arranged the "A-stand" into one where one of the stand poles was now vertical. I saw a speaker stand for studio monitors. So a pair of USS adapters for the monitors, and wala!

As a bonus, the speakers are right at ear level while sitting at the keyboards.

http://analoguediehard.com/studio/studio-rearrange-11.jpg