Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How is macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Working for You?

Now that Big Sur has been out for awhile, and we presumably have a final version of Catalina (10.15.7), have you migrated past Mojave? If so, are you finding Catalina 10.15.7 to be a stable platform for your music apps and plugins?

If it mostly works well for you but not entirely, then what are the problem areas?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I run it on a MBP late 2013. It runs everything (Logic Pro X, MainStage, Kontakt, etc.) just fine, no issues.

M-Audio Hammer 88, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha ReFace CP, Korg D1

MacBook Air 13" M1 (2021) Logic Pro X 10.5, Mainstage, Roland Cloud (Ultimate), U-He DIVA, Arturia V-8

JammSammich, Peoria, Illinois

Finally upgraded to Catalina five weeks ago. All has been well.

Only difficulty I had was that Mail.app wouldn't launch, but I moved a couple of files from the user library, and it worked after that (though it had moved some emails to a "Recovered Emails" folder).

Music-wise â worked down my personal Numbers table of software vendors to check for compatibility (I add two new columns to the table for every major system upgrade: one with support page links and one with checkboxes for "compatible"), made sure they were all explicitly certified or updated to the latest versions as needed, and all has been well.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina last week. It's working better than Mojave actually. My UAD interface was causing obnoxious little error messages at shut down and startup. Now it's smooth again.

Apple sure doesn't make it super easy to find an older OS to install do they?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Initially I had lots of DP crashing with Catalina on my 16"MBP. It's a lot better, but I still get occasional "Quit Unexpectedly" messages. Most everything works well. I am disappointed in Sonovox, who make a couple of quirky synths and a harmonica and one other thing I used occasionally. They have not done the work to make their stuff work with Catalina and don't seem to give a sh*t.

Apple sure doesn't make it super easy to find an older OS to install do they?

Maybe Apple doesn't but "dosdude" does: http://dosdude1.com/software.html

As I understand it, his "patchers" are small apps for installing a MacOS on macs that would normally not allow it (I guess that would be all Hackintoshes). They include extra features to patch the installers to do that, but they're certainly useful to regular Mac folk needing to quickly & easily make a bootable USB stick or partition on a drive. I used them when I replaced the internal blade drives on my MacBook Pro and my daughter's Mac Air.

To your point â his patchers include direct links to Apple's servers to download installers for the OSes shown on that page.

patcher.jpg

I switched at the end of March this year - 2014 MB pro running High Sierra. I didn't like Mojave and went back to High Sierra.

Then I found a Sweetwater page on how to best set up Catalina for recording and since Catalina was well along by then I updated. I NEVER update to the "X.0" version of anything, gotta be at least "X.2" or I'll wait.

Now I'm using the latest and I've shut off all the automatic widgets and goodies and it runs great. Not sure if I'll go to Big Sur or not, will be a while in any case.

I'm pondering getting a cheap Billy G box for internet and other mundane tasks and just dedicating the MB pro to recording.

On the other hand, I recently made a boot drive out of a 2 tb HDD with Thunderbolt 2 and installed ONLY recording related software so I can plug that in anytime and record. Since I use cable internet access, it's easy to disconnect it when I'm recording and there will be no "magic updates" of any kind. I'll see how far I get with that first.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It still has odd behaviors with disconnecting external drives and sometimes it won"t let me eject drives because it claims they are in use. I think it"s the Quick Look function that runs in the background all the time.

No issues otherwise (2019 i9 MBP 32GB ram 8GBVram). It is better than the earlier Catalina versions. It doesn"t like a lot of third-party plugins that haven"t gotten the fancy Apple security certification unfortunately.

Make sure you don"t have any remaining 32-bit programs or plugins as nothing will work.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'll find out when my big project is over, I'll upgrade then. I'm still on Sierra. I upgrade when I'm absolutely forced to and not before.

We know :deadhorse:

Just messin' with ya...no harm intended :D:cheers:

Hah, compared to my bud who I'm working on a project with, I'm a man of the far future. He has some really old version of pro tools on his really old laptop...might be Snow leopard OS.

I am certainly due for an upgrade, right now I can't get Logic past 10.4 I don't think. :)

It still has odd behaviors with disconnecting external drives and sometimes it won"t let me eject drives because it claims they are in use. I think it"s the Quick Look function that runs in the background all the time.

No issues otherwise (2019 i9 MBP 32GB ram 8GBVram). It is better than the earlier Catalina versions. It doesn"t like a lot of third-party plugins that haven"t gotten the fancy Apple security certification unfortunately.

Make sure you don"t have any remaining 32-bit programs or plugins as nothing will work.

Command-Option-Escape is your friend when something seems "stuck". I've quit my DAW (or thought I did!) and it clings to the hard drive it was saving to, a nice Force Quit ends that quickly.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

disable it. In terminal. You may have to temp disable SIP to do this, then you'll use a few 'qlmanage' command and a sudo command. I don't have them in front of me to share..... I did this on my music machine Mac, and haven't had the issue and I use external drives.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: