Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Pointless rant: Every year at this time I will be out and about (briefly and carefully this year!!!) and I will hear "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree on the speakers at various and random retail outlets.

Once in a while, they play the version that Brenda Lee had a hit with, in my mind this is the only legitimate version and there is no reason to play any version by a different singer.

I've heard "Dentist Office" instrumentals, silky smooth male vocalists gutting the song with insipid and "perfect" emotionless low key vocals over bland yet boring arrangements.

Today I heard an imitation version, they closely copied everything, sax, guitar, even an attempt to sing like Brenda Lee.

Except, only Brenda Lee sang like Brenda Lee.

Anybody else have a "pet peeve" song that annoys them? :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once in a while, they play the version that Brenda Lee had a hit with, in my mind this is the only legitimate version and there is no reason to play any version by a different singer.
Completely agree,

Actually, most Christmas songs annoy me. But you gotta like Brenda Lee.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Completely agree,

Actually, most Christmas songs annoy me. But you gotta like Brenda Lee.

And I think they start earlier and earlier every year - I find this time of year hard to deal with anyway and this year doubly so. Why they think this is gonna chill everyone out is beyond me!

As far as any pet peeve - there are many but "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" has to be up there! I know I became a curmudgeonly old git back when I "passed" 60 on my birthday, on my own, earlier this year under "lockdown" but I didn't realise how much it would affect how I feel about life. LOL!

But I agree about Brenda Lee.

Two for me, every Christmas.....the Mariah Carey debacle, and the George Michael version of Last Christmas....I guess if I'm being honest and don't care about coming off like a heartless SOB, not a real yuge fan of that "Christmas Shoes" or whatever it's called.....When it comes to Christmas I'm a traditionalist with my musical preferences. Not really into the slick R n B versions of the old tunes.....

Absolutely yes on Brenda Lee. But it's the players, bg's, arrangement, production and flat out groove that makes it great. Nothing compares with it.

With that band and arrangement, she could be singing about Christmas, Hanukkah, or my own mother's funeral, and I'd still be tapping my toes and nodding my head.

I think I'll stay out of the "Which Christmas song do you love/hate and why?" debate.

However - I got curious about some of the details of "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree," and did you know that, according to Wikipedia:

1) "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" was written by Johnny Marks, who had previously penned "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "A Holly Jolly Christmas". (Yeah, I knew that.)

2) In spite of her mature-sounding voice, Lee recorded the song when she was only 13 years old. (WOW, I had no idea about that one.)

3) The song's declaration of a rock and roll sound notwithstanding, its instrumentation also fits the country music genre, which Lee more fully embraced as her career evolved. The recording features Hank Garland and Harold Bradley on guitar, Floyd Cramer on piano, Boots Randolph on sax, Bob Moore on bass, and veteran session player Buddy Harman on drums. (All LEGENDARY sidemen. Triple-A Team. I always want to know that info!)

THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! A Christmas miracle, indeed!

Here"s my playlist for when I start to feel festive.

Steve Lukather"s jazzrock-fusion Christmas album with some Joe Pesci comedy thrown in.

Still don"t understand the exact circumstances that led Luke of all people to record a Christmas album.

Look Out For Angels is a great song with some great solos by Luke and Mike Landau over Herbie-esque changes.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Ever notice the bass line during the sax solo? It's brilliant. When my band covers this song I wrote that line out note for note as it's so important.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Ever notice the bass line during the sax solo? It's brilliant. When my band covers this song I wrote that line out note for note as it's so important.
Like a walking bass line but up an octave. Never listened for it before. Thanks for the tip.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

2) In spite of her mature-sounding voice, Lee recorded the song when she was only 13 years old. (WOW, I had no idea about that one.)

THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! A Christmas miracle, indeed!

"Little Miss :Dynamite" was one of her handles. Yes, she started really young. Listening to her sing ":Sweet Nothings" and realizing she was pretty much a kid at that point is sort of awkward.

At the same time, Brenda Lee was a HUGE influence on vocal AND performance styles for many white female vocalists. In a sense she was kind of a female Elvis. She probably heard and loved Big Mama Thornton among others.

And Janis Joplin probably had her Brenda Lee moments.

I still love "My Echo, My Shadow, And Me." great stuff. Crackerjack band and great studio engineers? You betcha!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On the aussie end of the spectrum there's this ditty but a warning VERY Coarse language / NSFW:

Artist: Kevin Bloody Wilson

Song title: Hey Santa Claus