Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg older classic synths vs current(Triton Le or Krome)

hag01

Someone in my area sells a Korg Triton Le in a good condition in the price of 430USD, and also someone in my era sells now a Korg M50 in a new condition almost in the same price I can get a new Krome EX in my area(1200-1300 USD).

I know these models are considered to be classics, how do they stand in front of the current Krome EX in your opinion?

Please take in mind that I can berry only one synth at one time to play with my band(portability issues), and I already have a Yamaha MODX6 which is my go to bands synth,

But for a long time I wanted some portable synth by Korg, to get the classic Korg sound. A lot of bands I grew up on play exclusively on Korg(I know I know, that's a childish consideration).

What would you do in stand of me right now, if you could choose only one of these synth in the given price?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Triton actions kick Krome ass. If I was in a Metal band and needed a shredder for not much money I"d get Triton.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The M50 has a lot better specs than the Triton Le (better screen, more insert effects, 16-art Combis) as does the Krome. So spending the extra money will certainly get you more. The Krome has a lot more PCM than than M50.... so I'd compare the M50 and Krome sounds and feel to make your final decision. The Triton Le won't stand up well compared to your MODX either...

Jerry

I'd go play the ones on offer and see if I liked them..

Agreed. Befoere checking either Korg out, the question is what sound(s) are missing from the MODX6. The Yamaha is already a lightweight KB in terms of portability. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Triton LE will have a better action than either the M50 or the Krome, but the Krome will have the best available sounds. If you like the LE's sounds, get the LE.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'd go play the ones on offer and see if I liked them..

Agreed. Befoere checking either Korg out, the question is what sound(s) are missing from the MODX6. The Yamaha is already a lightweight KB in terms of portability. :cool:

Actually nothing, the MODX has everything.

It could be nice to have a full tone-wheel organ engine, but the MODX has pretty large variety of great tone-wheel organ PCM presets, that make the job done and in my humble opinion sounds terrific, some of them also pretty twickable.

I may get the K-Sound Organimation expansion at some point because sometimes I play music with people who are extremely picky when it comes to Hammond sounds, then hopefully I will be fully covered in the Hammond sounds era.

Still, if the MODX had the tone-wheel organ engine of the Genos with nine sliders, it wouldn't be great, it would be the greatest keyboard ever(or one of the greatest at least, in my humble opinion).

Anyway, I don't know why all my teenage metal bands play only Korg Korg Korg and no Yamaha, not that Korg isn't great, I'm sure I would get along with just the Krome EX 61 in any band I would play with(Although I didn't had the opportunity to try it by myself yet, but judging from YouTube demos), whether it is the current pop rock band I play with now or if I would play with some metal band suddenly, but the Yamaha MODX is ridiculously capable for the symphonic metal genere, with all the cinematic sounds it has and the amazing FM engine.

It is the only keyboard I had\tested that I like more or less all its stock sounds in all sound sections, but that might be just my unusual taste, I just love the Yamaha sound. But, Korg is also lovely, if I could have Korg and Yamaha brains in one keyboard it would be spectacular(with Korg or Yamaha tone-wheel organ engine).

The M50 has a black & white touchscreen that presented some jitter in at least its first generation. That's your connection with the innards, so keep it in mind.

I still get good mileage from a TR61, the mini-upgrade of the LE. The keyboard would be bad news for serious piano work, but its snappier than I thought when I first bought it. A bit Korg-squishy as well, but its a good foot-soldier. The non-dated sounds & patterns are still timeless. The display has a near-terminal case of @$$, like the Karma. The dot-matrix of synth displays. Best overall module-with-keys I've played.

The Krome has the most current sounds, but again, ass for keys. That's also very subjective, so like my OK with the TR, you may be fine with it for the modern pluses. As the newest Korg mentioned, I'd go there if I was in your intended bracket.

Tritons are/were nice & tough, but never dismiss the age of a synth or the possible expensive medical care it may need.

The MODX deserves a serious look. Its a lot of the Yamaha good with less of the clunky Yamaha bad, i.e., the OS is held down to a dull roar. They're known for having convoluted designs in places, but also solid designs & good support. A meaningful buying factor. It outstrips everything mentioned but the Triton.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

The M50 has a lot better specs than the Triton Le (better screen, more insert effects, 16-art Combis) as does the Krome. So spending the extra money will certainly get you more. The Krome has a lot more PCM than than M50.... so I'd compare the M50 and Krome sounds and feel to make your final decision. The Triton Le won't stand up well compared to your MODX either...

OTOH, the Triton LE gives you aftertouch and assignable outs (and possibly a sampling option) which the M50 and Krome won't have. It's always something...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)