Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thundercat with Ariana Grande, JD Beck, and DOMi - Wow...

This came up in my YouTube recommended list today...DOMi, Thundercat, JD Beck, and Ariana Grande all in one song. I'm not even sure what to say about it lol...but it's a fun listen and watch. I've always thought that Ariana Grande should go cross over to the jazz side of music sometimes.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYZyzo8UJQM

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[video:youtube]

One of the slickest pieces of pop to have come my way this fall - to me, proof that intelligent life still exists in today's charts. This one's been in high rotation in my car for the last month or so. Ariana Grande is onto something of late... :thu:

I love the tune from a compositional standpoint. Worth listening to just for that. But the mix of instrument voices seems just slapped together, and ineffectively at that. The whole thing is straight piano combined with unrelenting auto-wah guitar. Doesn't work for me at all. I get that these cats probably just got together for a few hours, but surely they could have put more thought into crafting the sonic landscape.

It's cool to see these YouTube-created wunderkinds jamming with a more "conventional" star like Grande -- and visa versa.

I don't have any insider's insight into how collaborations like this come together. As a casual and (unapologetically jaded) observer, it sometimes seems like, rather than being about musical solidarity, it's more about the musicians with the most YouTube clicks seek out others with the same in a premeditated effort to break the internet. But in the end it doesn't matter why a group gets together as long as the result is good.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Most interesting to me is being able to hear the 1980s vibe all over it. Just more confirmation that I'm an old man. :laugh:

From another thread, imitation is a part of learning and growth as a musician. The internet and other musical repositories accelerate it.

These young people have collaborated and put their spin on a sound of yesteryear.

i'm curious to see if/when these talented individuals will develop their own signature voices. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I love the tune from a compositional standpoint. Worth listening to just for that. ...

It's cool to see these YouTube-created wunderkinds jamming with a more "conventional" star like Grande -- and visa versa.

I don't have any insider's insight into how collaborations like this come together. As a casual and (unapologetically jaded) observer, it sometimes seems like, rather than being about musical solidarity, it's more about the musicians with the most YouTube clicks seek out others with the same in a premeditated effort to break the internet. But in the end it doesn't matter why a group gets together as long as the result is good.

While cynicism is often warranted, Ariana Grande has covered "Them Changes" before on some other YouTube session. She legitimately likes the tune. It's one of my favourite Thundercat tunes â really well put-together and free of the weird-for-weird's-sake vibe I often get from his records. Not sure how JD Beck and DoMi fit into this, only because I don't really know much about their careers.

To Prof's point, I would argue that Thundercat has a pretty signature voice on bass at this point. He and MonoNeon currently define the contemporary LA fusion sound. His hookup with Justin Brown is otherworldly.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Sounds like they have more technique than they know what to do with.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The drummer is the best part. I would encourage him to hang out in NY and play with some other heavies, maybe with Cory Henry or Jacob Collier.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

To Prof's point, I would argue that Thundercat has a pretty signature voice on bass at this point. He and MonoNeon currently define the contemporary LA fusion sound.

I know they get a lot of attention for having chops but I'm not getting the James Jamerson, Willie Weeks, Chuck Rainey or Pino Palladino vibe from them. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm never the hugest fan of Grande's voice, but I find it hard to complain about this cool collaboration between supremely talented next-gen musos. Everyone's playing their instrument, each person has their slot; stuff like this makes me feel the future is in good hands.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Saw Thundercat with his trio (drums and keys) in Portland last year, and it was an amazing show! Each tune went off into these amazing improv spaces, all 3 players were on point and had an amazing connection. Also, the hall was split down the middle with one side for underage audience members, and the other for the drinking class. The underage section was absolutely packed with kids grooving deeply to the music, it really made me feel hope for the future.

My band covers this tune (we medley it with Isley Bros' Footsteps in the Dark, which is sampled in the studio version of the tune, and Ice Cube's it Was a Good Day). It's a fun set of changes to blow over.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Nobody is gonna talk about how the main drum pattern is from Footsteps in the Dark by the Isley Bros? I copped that groove for an arrangement of Crazy on a friend's record recently. Nobody uses that groove and it's so nasty.

New&Improv alluded to it above. The Isley Brothers' "Footsteps int the Dark" has been mined extensively by Hip-Hop producers. :cool:

PD