Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Three great books as Xmas presents

I'm late for Xmas with this, but all the same, consider:

Action Park by Andy Mulvihill with Jake Rossen

During the 80s+, there was a beloved amusement park in rural New Jersey called Action Park, but also Traction Park or its HBO Mac documentary title, "Class Action Park." Its a unique piece of Americana. Visitors showed off scars or even casts as badges of pride, having survived their fun. The rides were built from Mulvilhill Sr.'s unique imagination and not always to safety specs, shall we say. Taking one on was a personal risk. He used his kids and their friends as crash test dummies for new rides. They often shot into the trees or landed far beyond the intended 'safe' zone. The park lasted in this form for twenty years, against all comers. Recommended because I kept laughing in disbelief throughout this neatly-edited gem.

Harpo Speaks! The Autobiography of Harpo Marx

Harpo: "I quit school early as a kid. I knew how to make a friend, steal an orange for lunch, get a nickel for the movies and how to have a dog. What did they have to teach me?" Fair point!

You not only get a great, deep view of his life as a Marx, but also an easily engaged backdrop of his period of history. For me, the kicker was the last 2 entries of the permanent list of house rules on the refrigerator, once he & his wife adopted four children. "9. Anyone found guilty of scratching the felt on the pool table will be docked a week's wages. 10. Anyone found guilty of abusing a pet will be docked a MONTH'S wages." A continually rich read without a wasted word.

Tom Waits On Tom Waits: Interviews and Encounters

Edited by Paul Maher Jr.

"Change your shorts, change your life!

Change into a 9-year-old Hindu boy, get rid of your wife!"

~ from "Step Right Up"

This is an eclectic collection of non-Rolling-Stone-level pieces, from college papers, local entertainment tabloid-ettes and radio interviews. It covers an extended period of Tom's work and its ideal for a real fan like me, but its maybe not the go-to for a first introduction. There are a surprising number of references of modest stature that add flavor to the history of one item or another. Insider moments add savor to some already great songs. Recommended for both entertainment's sake & cultural merit.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm late for Xmas with this, but all the same, consider:

Action Park by Andy Mulvihill with Jake Rossen

During the 80s+, there was a beloved amusement park in rural New Jersey called Action Park, but also Traction Park or its HBO Mac documentary title, "Class Action Park." Its a unique piece of Americana. Visitors showed off scars or even casts as badges of pride, having survived their fun. The rides were built from Mulvilhill Sr.'s unique imagination and not always to safety specs, shall we say. Taking one on was a personal risk. He used his kids and their friends as crash test dummies for new rides. They often shot into the trees or landed far beyond the intended 'safe' zone. The park lasted in this form for twenty years, against all comers. Recommended because I kept laughing in disbelief throughout this neatly-edited gem.

Thank you for sharing! I have very fond memories of Action Park! In graduate school in the late 80's, a bunch of us would make an annual pilgrimage to get our share of bruises, wounds, and strawberries. I remember the infamous Alpine sled racer, which was a fiberglass track with these sled racers. If you touched the sides while flying down the ramp, you would get such a burn it was incredible! A fried of mine's shirt touched the side, and the polyester literally melted. No kidding. If you wiped out, you were covered with the worst and biggest strawberries and burns.This same friend was determined to conquer this ride at top speed so he donned a wrestler's head gear to cover his ears (which got burned when he wiped out the year before), knee and elbow pads, shin guards, and leather gloves just to protect himself. The strawberries from that ride were so bad, they would weep for a few days, and your underwear and clothes would get stuck to you. We loved that place despite coming back every time covered in our wounds.

https://www.history.com/news/the-rise-and-fall-of-action-park-new-jerseys-most-dangerous-water-park

May I recommend my friend Dave Chisholm"s new graphic novel 'Chasin" The Bird: Charlie Parker In California'. In addition to being a great trumpet player, composer, and teacher, Dave"s work in this media is outstanding. Forward is by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

https://z2comics.com/products/charlie-parker-chasin-the-bird-graphic-novel?variant=34100481327244