Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Three red basses

IMG_2983.JPGPhoto attached.

A friend brought over a thrift store Squier with the pickguard broken at the jack (sound familiar?).

It is red.

I fixed it.

Then I pulled out both of my basses and took a photo.

I've had the P-Bass with the dark fretboard (ebony) since the late 80's.

It is red.

And recently it became fretless, tuned down to BEAD.

I snagged the Peavey Fury on eBay a few years ago, one of the earlier "Handcrafted in the USA" ones.

It is red.

I put big heavy Schaller tuners on it and an EMG Pa (alnico). pickup.

It has the extra heavy D'Addario ground wounds on it (low E is .110 ground down!!).

I tune it to C# F# B E, sort of like having a short scale bass with extra low notes.

I don't know what point or purpose this thread has so just post whatever you like.

Well it looks like the "doesn't upload the photo" problem is back, I've seen a couple other posts like this. Ugh.

Let's try Flckr. https://flic.kr/p/2keM3zX

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is for us to post our red basses!

wb10ohfa8em3sihshf3hw6tpzp0oqshh.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

That red Jaguar bass is gorgeous, and reminded me that there is still one full scale bass model I could buy for my time in NC (all my basses are back in CA except for my 30" Hofner Verythin model with tape-wound strings), without being redundant with my current collection. So I looked into jaguar basses today. Not much in the current catalogue, but I might see if Sam Ash or Guitar Center have them in stock to try in downtown Raleigh.

On the other hand, I just listened to a bunch of demos and wasn't impressed by the Jag Basses in the current catalogue, but did find a beautiful reddish one from G&L that is sort of like a passive bridge-only MusicMan, known as the G&L Tribute Kiloton Bass (Irish Ale Finish w/ Maple Fretboard). Looks like that one might become my first red bass (I've had and still have some red guitars though).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sir Lug, that's a beautiful red bass!!!!

Now I've tried Firefox instead of Safari and still no love on posting photos.

I'll get it.

Meanwhile, let the red bass fest begin!!!!

That red Jaguar bass is gorgeous, and reminded me that there is still one full scale bass model I could buy for my time in NC (all my basses are back in CA except for my 30" Hofner Verythin model with tape-wound strings), without being redundant with my current collection. So I looked into jaguar basses today. Not much in the current catalogue, but I might see if Sam Ash or Guitar Center have them in stock to try in downtown Raleigh.

On the other hand, I just listened to a bunch of demos and wasn't impressed by the Jag Basses in the current catalogue, but did find a beautiful reddish one from G&L that is sort of like a passive bridge-only MusicMan, known as the G&L Tribute Kiloton Bass (Irish Ale Finish w/ Maple Fretboard). Looks like that one might become my first red bass (I've had and still have some red guitars though).

Thanks! That's one of the original CIJ Jags. They are the only ones with the Slim C neck and set up similar to a Jazz bass (2 single coil pups). Get a LOT of my playing time now.

I had this one for a number of years, little info was ever really found in it. Epiphone 5120 MIJ. Sold it off about 5 years ago.

I was fun but sometime almost felt like a toy. The bridge rests directly on the body and is only held in place by the string tension so really banging away on the thing wasn't the best idea.

My image isn't working so trying something else from the web. Not my bass. On mine the bridge cover and damper was long gone but I had a similar bridge on an old red Kay guitar that looked similar.29158928.jpg

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I had this one for a number of years, little info was ever really found in it. Epiphone 5120 MIJ. Sold it off about 5 years ago.

I was fun but sometime almost felt like a toy. The bridge rests directly on the body and is only held in place by the string tension so really banging away on the thing wasn't the best idea.

My image isn't working so trying something else from the web. Not my bass. On mine the bridge cover and damper was long gone but I had a similar bridge on an old red Kay guitar that looked similar.29158928.jpg

My first electric instrument was nearly identical to that!!! I started on acoustic guitar but my friends wanted a bassist and had a really good guitarist. I was 15 or so, Mom and Dad popped for a Lyle branded bass just like your photo but maybe a slightly different headstock shape. Mine was cheesy redburst too. Long since gone but my first red bass. I don't miss it.

The band found another kid who was better on bass and I was let go. I traded the bass back in for a Lyle guitar that was the same look as the bass. After a couple more auditions, I hid and woodshedded. When I re-appeared on the scene, I had lots of options so I started my own band and didn't have any of the people who passed me by earlier. Petty, I know - but it felt good at the time.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gonna try to post photo one more time.

One might say you have a plethora of red basses.

• 3 weeks later...

butcherNburn,

Yes. Yes it is.

All of my other pickups lack exposed pole pieces, and these exposed ones would occasionally meet up with my strings and the noise was not pleasant. The tape helped, but will be replaced.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.