Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianoteq and a big thank you

I"ve been using Mixcraft Pianissimo for quite some time and overall, I like it. A few months ago, I decided to try East West Bosendorfer. I could never quite get the reverb lowered enough so I went back to Pianissimo . About two weeks ago, I was waiting for Stephen Colbert to start when I decided that the next day, I would search google to find another sound to ether supplement it or replace it. And then it happened. I went to the forum when someone started a thread about Pianoteq. I vaguely recalled Keyboard Magazine giving it a thumbs up. the next night I downloaded the demo version. Less than five minutes later I knew I had to buy it and I bought it the next day.

I don"t like this thing. I love this thing. At minimum, there are 15 piano sounds that I find tasty. And even though the only two rooms that work for me are the jazz studio and dry room this is now my go to sound. I couldn"t find who started that thread but whoever you areâ¦thank you thank you thank you!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's how I felt about it when I tried it, too. I think the modeling sound over samples isn't necessarily for everybody, but for certain aesthetics and playing approaches it just hits those nerve centers just right. Makes me happy.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

It might have been me who started the thread. I am a notorious Pianoteq evangelist, and have been since version 3 or 4. It helps that the guys at Modartt are super nice, and they offer SO MUCH great free content along with the purchasable models. Yeah, there are people who dislike it, but I am not one of them. I wish they made an iOS version; I'd dump my Synthogy and Ravenscroft pianos in a heartbeat.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hi, I've tried Pianoteq quite awhile ago, and didn't like it. But I thought I'd give it another try, given the glowing comments. I just downloaded the demo for version 7.

For the folks that swear by it -- which models are you using?

Did you have to do a lot of tweaks to be happy with it?

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Hi, I've tried Pianoteq quite awhile ago, and didn't like it. But I thought I'd give it another try, given the glowing comments. I just downloaded the demo for version 7.

I downloaded the demo of V7 also, as I've done with each version since V5. To my ears, it keeps getting better â I like the new Steinway â but am still not ready to buy Pianoteq. I can get about the same usefulness from Arturia's modelled V Piano, which I downloaded free after buying one of their controllers last year. Even with tweaks to unisons and voicing with any modelled piano I've tried, there's still something too pristine for me.

Here for the gear.

I won"t list all 15 pianos that I like, but I"ll list my top three--- NY Steinway Model D and under lid, HB Steinway D Jazz, and Bluethner Intimate.

If this thing is similar to the Dallas Cowboysâ¦I just hope it doesn"t stop playing in the fourth quarter. Dr. Mikeâ¦. If I knew where you lived, I"d send you a shrubbery LOL.

Did I have to do a lot of tweaking? So far, the only tweaks that I"ve needed is to change what room it"s in. small hall produces a sound that"s 'too airy' for me. Jazz studio and dry room works best for my ears.

I downloaded the demo of V7 also, as I've done with each version since V5. To my ears, it keeps getting better â I like the new Steinway â but am still not ready to buy Pianoteq. I can get about the same usefulness from Arturia's modelled V Piano, which I downloaded free after buying one of their controllers last year. Even with tweaks to unisons and voicing with any modelled piano I've tried, there's still something too pristine for me.

Too pristine? There"s a tool for that. Use the Condition slider. Something like 90% should be fine.