Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For all you slide guys...

picker

Somebody posted a link to this video, and I really like the tone he gets on slide. I noticed he seems to lean into the lower strings, and gets what I describe as a vocal tone, somewhat reminiscent of what Derek Trucks gets. Any of y'all get that kind of sound?

• Like 1

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

That's cool, he's really good. His right hand technique is excellent as well.

I play slide but not enough. I tend to bear down a bit and use a heavy slide, can't have low action. I switched to lap steel, no frets and way high action so I can use a solid Shubb bar and get amazing sustain.

No frets, no finger work on the neck.

I've seen David Lindley twice, he is the master of the lap steel. You've probably heard him, he played on Jackson Browne's Running On Empty, Warren Zevon's Werewolves Of London and for Trio (Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris.

Solo act, he is amazing. Has low tuned string(s) for bass, a hollow body long scale lap steel that he taps with his right hand for drum sounds, it sounds like a band. He can sing on top of it, insane.

I've never seen him but Sonny Landreth kills it too. There's a video on YouTube with him and Derek Trucks jamming. They are having fun and holding their own.

The guy on YouTube that makes slide guitars out of shovels is really good too.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Somebody posted a link to this video, and I really like the tone he gets on slide. I noticed he seems to lean into the lower strings, and gets what I describe as a vocal tone, somewhat reminiscent of what Derek Trucks gets. Any of y'all get that kind of sound?

Wow, thanks, picker! I hadn't heard of him, but as good EXCELLENT as he is all-around, I sure should have.

Now, you got me doin' some searchin' an' some readin', and it turns out, that part of that sound is from his using clean, high-headroom tube-amps and favoring various excellent overdrive and fuzz pedals- I believe it's one of his overdrives he stomps on in that vid, and I'll look further into that in a bit; and another good sized portion of that sound is that guitar, a steel-bodied Strat-stylee, a Mule Resophonic Guitars baritone 25.5" short-scale (for a baritone) Stratomule, custom-made by Matt Eich, with a "gold foil"* type pickup somewhere in the neck/middle position, and a mini-humbucker type at the bridge, both made by Mr. Eich... Tuned Baritone Standard, B - E - A - D - F# - B, lo-to-hi, a Perfect 4th below 'normal' Standard, with .017" or .018" through .064" gauges (which may seem very heavy, but at that lowered tuning on a normal Strat 25.5" scale-length, it'd be fairly normal in tension and feel).

*(The "gold foil" style of pickup often found on cheap vintage guitars from the '60s and '70s, currently in vogue with more and more players)

Besides all that, MOST of his sound, his tone, comes from his technique, playing pick, pick-and-fingers, fingerstyle, his "touch", his heart and mind, his vision. The above listed guitar, pickup, pedal, amp, string and tuning choices do contribute...

...but I'm sure he'd still "sound like him" on virtually any guitar and rig one might hand him- you know what I mean.

I bet you would, too.

EDIT: I came back to toss ya these, picker...

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Every once in a while the Youtube recommended videos really are worth a watch....

They threw this up for me last week. I'd seen him review gear for Andertons in the UK a couple times, and knew he was an excellent player. But somehow I'd never taken the time to explore his music. The gig I've linked to is excellent. Great playing and tone.

• Like 2

I contacted him through his website, and asked him about the tone I mentioned. His reply was pretty short, but confirmed what I thought. It seemed to me that when I heard that, he was picking a note on one of his E,A or D strings, then sliding up to a note 2 or 3 frets higher, and adding some vibrato by shaking the slide. I'm thinking the winding on the strings contributes to it. I'm sure it takes some practice to get it, and yes Caevan, his amp & pedal rig has to have a lot to do with it. With Derek Trucks, he'll get the 1st & 2nd notes, then silde on through to higher ones, which seems to increase what I'm talking about. Got to work on this, it's such a cool sound!
  • Like 2

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I contacted him through his website, and asked him about the tone I mentioned. His reply was pretty short, but confirmed what I thought. It seemed to me that when I heard that, he was picking a note on one of his E,A or D strings, then sliding up to a note 2 or 3 frets higher, and adding some vibrato by shaking the slide. I'm thinking the winding on the strings contributes to it. I'm sure it takes some practice to get it, and yes Caevan, his amp & pedal rig has to have a lot to do with it. With Derek Trucks, he'll get the 1st & 2nd notes, then silde on through to higher ones, which seems to increase what I'm talking about. Got to work on this, it's such a cool sound!

Oh, OK, you were meaning the way he rapidly shoots up into those notes on the lower strings, really giving them some momentum and drive. Good stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

apropos of nothing, I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and saw these - I love the colours, although I might only be able to use the gold, blue, red, and maybe the green one on my pinky:

69344_W3.jpg

The red and the blue might be similar enough to what Lowell George used for a slide, which I believe was an 11/16" sparkplug socket, maybe shorter than those...

• Like 3

Listening to that first vid, I immediately thought of both Derek Trucks’ and Bonnie Raitt’ slide techniques.  Also a bit of Chris Rea’s and Gary Clark, Jr.’s taste in dirt.

But that fingering?  Whooooooooooo!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/