Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chuck Leavell: The Tree Man

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just clicked through and realized that CIFF is Calgary! Just down the road from me. Some of Chuck's gear may actually be there, in the collection at the National Music Centre. The film festival happened a couple months ago though, so it's no longer available through them as far as I can tell.

Anyway, the film is available on a bunch of on-demand services now, but it doesn't look like the big-name streaming services have it yet. Curious to hear from anyone who watches it!

Thanks, always loved Chuck... going all the way back when everyone was buying Electric Light Orchestra albums.... I was buying 'Sea Level' albums in 1976 .. and his Allmans work of course.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Oh, I cannot wait to watch this. Chuck Leavell has been a favorite player of mine since the days long ago when my dad would put on the Allman Brothers' Greatest Hits and point out his playing in Jessica.

Also, a lot of starpower in that trailer, but isn't Keith Richards just the greatest?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Wow, does this bring back memories. Was in a band opening up up for Sea Level in Northwest Indiana years ago. Myself and our drummer drove to O'Hare airport to pick up Chuck. He could not have been a nicer guy. Sea Level was a sort of jazz fusion band that killed it. I distinctly remember how difficult it was for the roadies to pick up the grand piano and lift it up on to the stage and then have a guy come in and tune it. I was a young man back then.

but isn't Keith Richards just the greatest?

Richards is surely one of the most unique and original characters in the history of the world. "the man's a real man . . . you hear me?" then takes a drag of his cigarette so he can live another five minutes.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Chuck really has the dream gig as far as I can say. Absolute top top 1% of touring gigs playing with the Stones as you know you will be treated like beyond royalty everywhere and travel in the most first class fashion. And get paid well into five figures a show -- to play some rock and roll and blues keys!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

but isn't Keith Richards just the greatest?

Richards is surely one of the most unique and original characters in the history of the world. "the man's a real man . . . you hear me?" then takes a drag of his cigarette so he can live another five minutes.

Must have been filmed before he quit.....

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-rolling-stones-keith-richards-has-finally-quit-smoking-2606213

Oh, I cannot wait to watch this. Chuck Leavell has been a favorite player of mine since the days long ago when my dad would put on the Allman Brothers' Greatest Hits and point out his playing in Jessica.

Also, a lot of starpower in that trailer, but isn't Keith Richards just the greatest?

We share the same birthday. LOL.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Chuck IS a gentleman & I'm unbelievably lucky to be able to call him a friend. I also have a truly great story where I get to say he

"subbed" for me once, which I'll save for another thread, another day.

I just finished watching this. Rented it on Amazon Prime. It was well worth the $4.99.

Hell, the version of "Georgia on my Mind" at the end was worth that.

I was listening to his playing, and realized how many of his licks that I use. He has been a major influence on my playing.

I also noticed how many of the songs that I have loved throughout the years because of his playing.

Master Class in playing, and humanity.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Wow, that would have come in handy back in 1973! I remember setting the turntable RPMs to 16 which cut the tempo roughly in half and dropped the pitch around an octave. Then dropping the needle to pick out as many notes as I could. Repeated until all notes were identified. It was a tedious and slow process, but likely good for developing my ear, and as a 9th grader I had the time to do it. Things were so different then that it feels like a different lifetime. Of course this was all done uphill, both ways, in the snow :)

I bought a Korg Poly 800 because of Chuck. He, Don Muro, and guitarist Elliot Randall were doing new product demonstration for Korg/Unicord at winter NAMM 1984. After seeing how much fun Chuck and Don were having with the Poly 800 strapped on like a Keytar I got one as soon as they were available.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Another huge Chuck fan here. To me no one else combines Southern soul and melodicism, along with rhythmic inventiveness and drive (his comping on Southbound!) the way he does. I've tried very hard to learn his stuff. His playing on EC's MTV Unplugged recording is a textbook how-to for how to play in a setting like that and I still find his solo on Old Love to be stunning.

Of all places, I found some great Chuck playing in an Alfred Blues Piano book that I bought because it featured him, along with Reese Wynans and Dr. John, and enlisted those artists to record examples of their styles. It included some very evocative and creative musical excerpts from Chuck that would have been great in a movie soundtrack. It also included an extended slow blues that is my favorite example of that from him. I really wish he and the backup band would have recorded a whole record, while together.

I'd seen some of that Jessica instructional video before (I spent a few weeks learning that solo some years back), but never the whole thing. Man, I could watch him play forever. You know, sometimes with players I'm blown away by harmonic understanding or technical execution or any number of ideas that seem totally outside of my vocabulary... but this is different. It's amazing how he takes a simple two-chord pattern, and plays mostly major pentatonic over it, but gives it so much energy, life, melody, and sense of beginning, middle, and end. It makes sense that the original solo was an improvisation, since it's mostly pretty "lick-based,"I guess, but when I throw my bag o' piano riffs at something, it doesn't wind up sounding as iconic as that!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.