Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Walter Wanderley!

I've been listening to a lot of Walter lately. I don't know if he's an acquired taste to other keyboardists, but I fell in love instantly when I discovered him years ago. He just grooves like a mofo. Some of the stuff you could perhaps call corny. But the more you listen to him the more you appreciate his mastery of comping, and the expression pedal. And not a Leslie in sight. BTW, it's some of the best driving music to be found.

I'll post some of my favorites, starting with a classic - 'A Man And A Woman'.

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batucada. Some great comping on this one.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Chegança. I also like that he doesn't use the same drawbar settings all the time. There is no 'Walter Wanderley' setting.

this was always my fav WW live video. Organ has tabs, there is a Leslie, and a Clavinet D6 and an old Wurlitzer Electric Piano (neither player during this video). Check out his seat at the 3:30 mark. Dude is dope. :puff:

:nopity:

A rare live clip, and a rare use of a Leslie.

Dave beats me to it! http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

this was always my WW live video. Organ has tabs, there is a Leslie, and a Clavinet D6 and an old Wurlitzer Electric Piano (neither player during this video). Check out his seat at the 3:30 mark. Dude is dope. :puff:

Oh yeah....and that percussionist! Victor M is a monster.

Oh, organ's an L-112 with a 145.

He recorded quite a bit on the storied '59 C-3/21H rig at RVG's studio...Rain Forest and A Certain Smile/A Certain Sadness (with Astrud Gilberto) stand out in particular...

Trying to really nail that staccato chording he could do is no easy task...there's a knack to the timing that's challenging as heck. One hell of a musician...

TP

TP

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

A rare live clip, and a rare use of a Leslie.

I love the stacked up plastic chairs he sitting on.

Looks like he has a clav up on top of the organ.

These vids are great - 2 minutes and change and mastery of the instrument.

Another dynamic song, 'Telefone'.

The classic 'Soulful Strut'.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNE_pjkQ0jo

'On The South Side Of Chicago'

'O Barquinho' (Little Boat)

I have just a few more . . . :)

He has two totally different versions of 'One Note Samba'. I love them both. Only one is on YouTube, unfortunately.

Fantastic comping, and a great solo, with the lovely Astrud Gilberto.

Vocé Ja Foi Bahia

Another cool Walter/Astrud song, Portuguese Washerwoman.

I can hear the conversation:

Astrud: Walter, I can't sing this in English

Walter: Just sing "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" - it'll be fine!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAArjydzHIw

One of my early influences. I hadn't listened to him in a while. Walter Wanderly is without compare!

Here is my favorite album of his, every arrangement a gem - he plays piano and organ together:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Q_yMe2nS8

I don't know that album - thank you!

• 3 years later...
I stumbled upon the Call Me video about two months ago and was hooked. Went through a deep dive of every Wanderley album recently that is hosted on Amazon Music. A great style.
Hammond XK5, Alesis QS8, Yamaha DX7IIFD, Roland XV2020 (SRX-11 & 12), Kawai RX7, Scheidmayer Clavichord, Strymon (Flint, Big Sky, Timeline, Mobius, Ola, El Capistan), Neo Ventilator II

• 1 year later...

OMG! I finally found it! I’ve been listening to this excellent Walter Wanderley version of ‘Summer Samba’ for over 20 years. But I could never find it on YouTube. Every time I searched I could only find the slow version or the version with Astrid. I could never figure out why this one was absent. Today I was listening to it and remembered that I had Shazam on my phone and it recognized it, not as Summer Samba, but as Samba De Verão. Same song, different name.

One of the best of the genre. Pay close attention to Wanderley’s great comping during the sax solo. Enjoy!

On 1/26/2017 at 7:05 PM, Synthaholic said:

He has two totally different versions of 'One Note Samba'. I love them both. Only one is on YouTube, unfortunately.

Here’s the other version, now available on YouTube. Compare them. I like them both.

6 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Today I was listening to it and remembered that I had Shazam on my phone and it recognized it, not as Summer Samba, but as Samba De Verão. Same song, different name.

Actually, it's the same name (original name) 😉

Thanks for reviving this thread - missed the first time around.  It's been a while that I've listened to him.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• 2 weeks later...