Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line 6 L2T Woes

About four years ago I picked up a Line 6 L2T to use as a powered stage monitor. It came highly recommended by a few members of this forum, and it definitely did not disappoint. But on August 15th the outdoor stage on which I was playing experienced a brief power outage, then what I believe was a return surge. Though my equipment was on a heavy duty surge protector, the L2T appeared to have somehow absorbed the hit. It did not have any sound going to the speakers during the final set, which is when the power problem occurred. I also tested the unit at home the following day, even did a minor disassembly and inspection; no sound. It wil power up, and the control module lights up and shows signal; but nothing arrives at the speakers.

So far repair inquiries have been a bit strange. Sweetwater, from whom I purchased the L2T, wants me to either drop off/pick up the cabinet, or pay for shipping to and from their repair department. Then they want to ship it to the manufacturer for repair, and expect me to cover that plus return shipping from Line 6. Oh, and there's a minimum evaluation fee; $60, IIRC. Hell, for all that I might as well buy a used JBL cabinet or pick up a B-Stock entry-level EV unit... Of the two available repair shops I've talked to - approx 2 hours away (as is Sweetwater), both would attempt the repair in-house, though both made mention of Yamaha's recent purchase of Line-6 and some apparent issues with parts availability, etc.. The closer one - in Illinois - did seem a bit reluctant to take on the project; the one in Indianapolis was eager to be of help. Both are highly rated.

Meanwhile I do wonder if there's a simple solution, i.e. - control module reset, or something like that. Any ideas?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 3 months later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: The L2t has been in the shop since August 28th; I found an authorized repair place about an hour east of me. Unfortunately Line 6's communication with the tech has been poor-to-non-existent. The tech is all but certain that the main board is the issue, so he placed an order that part; the board is returnable should that not be the problem. He has attempted to discuss specifics with a Line-6 rep/tech, but has not received any returned calls. The only thing the tech can figure is that the Covid-19 situation is causing the communications hangups. I certainly could see that being part of the problem, but wonder if there's anything else at play here. The tech and his shop have a good reputation in the region, so I have to wonder what else might be factoring into the situation.

Any insights from fellow forumites? Thanks!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

I use a Line Conditioner Tripplite LC1200. They can be had for about $100 if you do some extensive searching. I wonder if the Tripplite would have saved your L2T from absorbing the hit? In addition to regulating voltage it also has premier surge protection. The unit supposedly comes with $25K of lifetime insurance. I wonder if it the Op Amp took the electrical hit rather than the main board itself?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I use a Line Conditioner Tripplite LC1200. They can be had for about $100 if you do some extensive searching. I wonder if the Tripplite would have saved your L2T from absorbing the hit? In addition to regulating voltage it also has premier surge protection. The unit supposedly comes with $25K of lifetime insurance. I wonder if it the Op Amp took the electrical hit rather than the main board itself?

Dave, I will check with the tech on that. If the Op Amp indeed took the hit, it's replacement could be a simpler solution. Haven't found a parts list/breakout diagram for the L2t, yet. I'd initially removed the main board assembly out of the cabinet, but it's a module that includes the entire back panel of the L2t; and the mother board is buried in that. That's as far as my minimal tech skills took me.

I have been using Tripplite Isobar 8 surge protectors for years, though at the time of the hit my current Isobar was out of commission, so I was using an older unit that might've already been compromised. I worked for Tripplite in the 1990s, and saw a number of burnt suppressors and chokes that had sacrified themselves for gear. Tripplite has a great replacement policy for their surge protectors, so mine was replaced at no cost.

The LC-1200 is a great recommendation. Definitely planning to pick one up this week.

All I can say is that since Frank took over service at Line6 they've been incredible. I would call Line6 directly. They've gone well above and beyond for me the last couple years.

I've been a L6 user since they were a tiny company. They had a middle period where it seemed they were squeezing every dime, but the last couple years they've totally turned around their service department. Covid might be the real issue. Oh...and California fires; they seem to have been in the path of a few.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I tried Line-6 early on; left several messages, but no luck. The tech has barely done any better. I know that Line-6 became part of Yamaha Guitar Group in 2018. Between that transition, Covid-19 and the nearby wildfires I suspect that efficient support has taken a hit. I understand, but to a point; the repair has been on hold for four months now, with little productive communication on Line-6's part. Apparently Line-6 is a tiny company no more.

Apparently Line-6 is a tiny company no more.
I hate it when companies are tiny companies no more (Sibelius, are you listening?)

Cheers, Mike.

I have long memories of being burned by particular MIB acquisitions. The first computer-based MIDI/audio sequencer I purchased was Opcode Studio Vision, along with a couple of their interfaces. I still have great memories of the Studio 5 LX interface. Then came Gibson's slash-and-burn acquistion of Opcode :rolleyes: Took a while to land on my feet after that one: tried Cubase VST, but eventually settled on Logic - which didn't tick the same boxes for me as Opcode Vision until Logic 6.