Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Friday sales

DDMF Magic Death Eye Stereo Compressor is on sale:

https://sites.fastspring.com/ddmf/product/magicdeatheyestereo?_ga=2.11748660.1065179852.1606621305-1331356075.1606621305

I just got the IOS version for $19, down from $31. Will try to use it to learn the basics of using a compressor to glue a mix.

Dangit!!! Already blew my budget. The Magic Death Eye is a legendary piece, made of unobtanium. One guy builds them by hand. They run around $7k and you can't get one.

Tape Op reviewed the hardware compressor and the plugin a few issues back. They gave the plugin high marks for being close to the real deal. I want one. Next time I guess...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DDMF Magic Death Eye Stereo Compressor is on sale:

https://sites.fastspring.com/ddmf/product/magicdeatheyestereo?_ga=2.11748660.1065179852.1606621305-1331356075.1606621305

I just got the IOS version for $19, down from $31. Will try to use it to learn the basics of using a compressor to glue a mix.

Dangit!!! Already blew my budget. The Magic Death Eye is a legendary piece, made of unobtanium. One guy builds them by hand. They run around $7k and you can't get one.

Tape Op reviewed the hardware compressor and the plugin a few issues back. They gave the plugin high marks for being close to the real deal. I want one. Next time I guess...

I had a feeling the hardware Magic Death Eye was not cheap, lol. Personally built by the Capitol Studios mastering engineer...

I learned about it and the DDMF plugins from someone named jolico on the Audiobus forum, who said DDMF worked closely with the Magic Death Eye builder. Jolico also posted some tips for newbies such as myself, along with the admonition that we cannot expect to replicate the results of having seasoned mastering engineers do the job with $12k speakers, properly treated rooms and priceless outboard gear at their disposal.

I have a decision to make over one of three things. I need a good couple of bass VI's so have narrowed it down to Trilian (never on sale) , or a couple of Amblesound basses (Upright, Jaco Fretless) on sale now, or just bite the bullet and succumb to the lure of the dark side and get Full Kontakt while it's on sale once and for all, and then find something that works only with Full Kontakt, like Orange Tree.

Trilian is tempting me the most, Amblesound seems great for the price, and Kontakt plus something else seems the most practical. :idk:

Comments are welcome!

Here for the gear.

I have a decision to make over one of three things. I need a good couple of bass VI's so have narrowed it down to Trilian (never on sale) , or a couple of Amblesound basses (Upright, Jaco Fretless) on sale now, or just bite the bullet and succumb to the lure of the dark side and get Full Kontakt while it's on sale once and for all, and then find something that works only with Full Kontakt, like Orange Tree.

Trilian is tempting me the most, Amblesound seems great for the price, and Kontakt plus something else seems the most practical. :idk:

Comments are welcome!

I probably don't know how to judge a bass guitar emulation software in terms of one vs the other. I have Native Instruments Scarbee Bass which is 6+gb of samples of Rickenbacker bass. To me it sounds like a Ricky bass played by a keyboard. It works on Kontakt Player and all NI plugins are on sale. IK Multimedia is touting their "new-ish" Modo Bass which is fully self contained and also on sale. I just picked up IK Modo Drum and it is very good, I like it so far.

Both of those companies will let you take their plugins for a spin for free which is probably your best bet.

I have 2 actual basses and don't play keys worth mentioning so I use those. One is fretless tuned BEAD the other is fretted and tuned C# F# B E. Both are more or less P basses with Jazz Bass necks and EMG pickups.

Run into a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Drive DI version 2, they both sound just like bass guitars. :laugh:

I'm going to upgrade the Embertone Walker D Lite to the full Walker D with all of the various mic positions for $36. A 135GB piano! (50% off, less the credit for the $39 I paid for the Lite version last month)

And I think I will grab Pigments 2 from Arturia which I can get for $50.

I think that will keep me in good shape for less than one Ben Franklin.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Vidami Video looper pedal 15% off at Chuck Levins

https://chucklevins.com/products/vidami-hands-free-video-looper-pedal-for-video-learning

I've been using my Vidami to learn various things off of Youtube. Not having to take my hands off my instrument to rewind the video, loop it, or slow it down has proven to be worth every penny. If you have to rewind/loop the video as many times as I do, to learn something, the time/convenience really adds up.

IK Multimedia's Syntronik (PC/Mac) is on sale... not on their site, but if you get it from https://audioplugin.deals/deal-1/

$70 instead of $300... which actually makes it cheaper than the more limited iOS version, which is $80 (no discount currently)

(IK's own site has Total Studio Max 2 for $179, which also includes Syntronik.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Picked up 8DIO's 1985 Passionate Piano, which is a Yamaha C5 library, for $66.60. Their sale runs through the end of the day (55% off virtually everything). Now I just have to wait for my high-spec computer to return from repairs. That piano sounds really good in the demos though, whereas I did not care for the rest of their $198 pianos that much (well, the 1928 Scoring Grand sounded nice but not for a general-purpose VI piano, which is what I needed).

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Now it is Cyber Monday.

First one up this morning was Izotope. Breaktweaker expanded and Iris 2 are $9.99 each.

Or, the Holiday Bundle is still $49.99 - https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/izotope-holiday-bundle.html

Thanks for heads-up on this, have picked this one up :thu:

After considerable thought, I am going to snag Izotope Breaktweaker Expanded and Iris 2 for 9.99 each.

The Izotope Holiday bundle looks tempting but I already have all the Elements versions (although they are the previous version) and RX7 Standard.

So for $50, I'd be getting Iris 2, Trash (I don't need more distortion plugins) and a couple of cool reverbs (got plenty of those too). If I wanted to add Breaktweaker (which looks like fun), I'd be in for $60.

Not this month, maybe for the Xmas sale or something.

Of course I need another synth/sampler like Iris 2 like a hole in the head but it looks fun and a bit different from the rest of my accumulation.

Of course, NOW Eventide pops up with sale pricing.

https://store.eventideaudio.com/pages/cyber-monday-holiday-sale?mc_cid=409ee4dc76&mc_eid=e29f1cfa9a

Fortunately, it runs until Jan 4th. I have Micro-Pitch and Physion and they are both excellent. Omnipressor was reviewed in Tape Op and got very high ratings.

In any case, they've provided a sufficient window to download and test a trial before buying. My limited experience with their plugins has been very good.

The interface makes it easy to use and both Micro-Pitch and Physion have "bonus" features that make them versatile.

I think it's safe for me to say that if I had started out using Eventide plugins, I probably would not own nearly as many plugins as I do now.

• 3 years later...
On 11/27/2020 at 2:35 PM, AnotherScott said:

the MIDI Fighter Twister looks especially cool.

Has anyone who has purchased this had a good experience with it? Is it worth $250? 

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin