Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who collects Sound Effects compilations?

Today at the Habitats for Humanity thrift store I found 2 CDs, fifty cents each.

Big Scream CD's 8 "Wind!" and 9 "Twisted Laughter.

I already have CDs of:

250 Totally Cartoon Sound F/X

250 Totally Gross Sound F/X From Hell

75 Spectacular Sound Effects Vol. 1

Halloween Sound Effects

50 Bird Songs From Around The World

Scary Sounds CD

50 Special Backgrounds For Telephone Calls and Sound Effects for Answering Machines

100 Sound Effects Volumes 1, 2 and 3

A couple of these have no copyright notification on them. One has a copyright but says on the front cover and inside that you can use the sounds "or for whatever else you want." so they've put themselves in legal jeopardy if they are not indeed granting full permission. One is copyrighted 1985, hard to know if it's expired or if it was renewed. And 3 of them have Canadian copyright without a date.

Not sure what any of that means, I haven't really used them for projects but they are pretty fun. And cheap. I paid $.99 for a few of them and I don't think any of them were more than $2.

Anybody else collect them?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Library of Congress has sponsored (I guess that's the right term..) a website called Citizen DJ that has millions of audio and video clips in the public domain you can use. They even have an on-screen app to do little remixes right there on the 'site. I prefer to download clips for DAW-mangling, etc.

I like the old vaudeville-era clips....perfect for electronic Orb-like stuff...

Here's a link:

Citizen DJ

nat

The Library of Congress has sponsored (I guess that's the right term..) a website called Citizen DJ that has millions of audio and video clips in the public domain you can use. They even have an on-screen app to do little remixes right there on the 'site. I prefer to download clips for DAW-mangling, etc.

I like the old vaudeville-era clips....perfect for electronic Orb-like stuff...

Here's a link:

Citizen DJ

nat

Awesome!!! Bookmarked, a goldmine of insanity ready to be converted to crazy.

Thanks Nat!!!!

"My gosh." I say to myself - this is where they parked the Joe Smith collection. The Joe Smith Collection

Joe Smith was an essential record executive associated with the Warner labels. He recorded his conversations with musicians and insiders. He was a reflective kind of guy and did not want to miss anything.

He donated his collection to the LOC and they have made some progress digitizing it.

Edit: this was one of a number of collections linked from Nat's Citizen DJ post. This was the press release from 2012.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-12-117/intimate-recordings-of-music-legends-donated/2012-06-18/

Thanks spokenward! Bookmarked.

5 posts in and this thread has gone to a very different place quickly. It really never occurred to me to look for sounds online, as obvious as that idea is out here in the real world.

I did a search for "Free sound libraries" and there is a limitless supply of sounds available. I suppose the next step will be to think of a description of a sound and search for specific sounds.

That could truly lead anywhere. Maybe I should get out more!

I do have a small Tascam recorder with built in mics that does a great job of recording sounds. Could sort of be like a "photographer of noises" or something...

This would come up sooner or later - the BBC collection is posted publicly here:

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

NOTE: the license is posted and limited, but they do provide an inspirational source for gathering your own library.

"The Sound Effects are BBC copyright, but they may be used for personal, educational or research purposes, as detailed in the license." (license linked from the site)

The old CD collection is still available commercially online as either a CD or downloadable.

This would come up sooner or later - the BBC collection is posted publicly here:

http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

NOTE: the license is posted and limited, but they do provide an inspirational source for gathering your own library.

"The Sound Effects are BBC copyright, but they may be used for personal, educational or research purposes, as detailed in the license." (license linked from the site)

The old CD collection is still available commercially online as either a CD or downloadable.

I've heard of this collection but forgot all about it, thanks for the memory refresh!

This is a great thread, and the Library of Congress link is pure gold! I have a lot of sound effects, including the Sony collection from films and Frank Serafine's stuff. It sure comes in handy from time to time.

Wow, that Citizen DJ thing is amazing, I'll have to look into it more later.

Definitely the world of sound effects and samples has moved completely online, there are millions of royalty-free libraries to be downloaded. Plenty of garbage, of course...

I have a friend who works as a foley recorder/mixer in a small studio here. Extremely cool stuff to talk about and hear their process and the realities of film audio post-production. They've done some subcontracting for some Netflix Originals and it is extremely demanding. There's a famous actor he didn't want to name that constantly touches his clothes during scenes that drove him absolutely bananas. :laugh:

I once possessed a few ancient CD-ROMs of Akai and Roland goods, but they're history. Over time, I've picked up a folder full of free WAVs and cheapo oddities like Kitchen Sink, many of them bizarre. They compliment the baseline effects I have in things like Alchemy. I have no need of assignable material for building a multi-zoned Rhodes; that's covered more sensibly elsewhere. If I need a colorful bridging event, a 4-bar modular gobble or a woman laughing like a hyena, its possibly in that folder. They have to be applied with a light hand, lest ye begin to come across like Spike Jones. That doesn't mean I might not see a cartoon anvil being dropped as the perfect sting between two fussy sections.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I once possessed a few ancient CD-ROMs of Akai and Roland goods, but they're history. Over time, I've picked up a folder full of free WAVs and cheapo oddities like Kitchen Sink, many of them bizarre. They compliment the baseline effects I have in things like Alchemy. I have no need of assignable material for building a multi-zoned Rhodes; that's covered more sensibly elsewhere. If I need a colorful bridging event, a 4-bar modular gobble or a woman laughing like a hyena, its possibly in that folder. They have to be applied with a light hand, lest ye begin to come across like Spike Jones. That doesn't mean I might not see a cartoon anvil being dropped as the perfect sting between two fussy sections.

It may be telling that "Ray Stevens Greatest Hits" is one of my all-time favorite records. Some of us never grow up (and you can't make me!!!!!) :laugh:

It's been close to 2 years already but I did a series of 20 remix competitions on Metapop.com and using it as a platform for me to learn more about what I can do in a DAW, I found myself mangling relatively mundane sounds beyond all recognition. I didn't win any competitions but it was a great experience and I learned many fine things (and quite a few terrible ones!!!).

A friend came by to see what I was up to and learn more, he uses the same DAW (Waveform) but more of less as a cassette tape recorder. I took a kick drum sound and made it into a shaker. I don't think he learned anything useful from that but I did and he isn't paying me so meh...