Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help - Yamaha MX88 key noise

Hi folks,

Out of nowhere, my Yamaha MX 88 has developed a problem of a loud clicking noise when I hit A4 and especially B4. There was no trauma, and the keybed was fine about two or three days earlier, with no interval events, spills, moving, etc.

I am not generally a handy person, so opening the whole thing up to check contacts, etc. is likely a no go. I am fairly certain this isn"t something that a can of compressed air can fix either, though.

Any suggestions for what I should do?

[video:youtube]

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like something is stuck under those two keys, like a dime or something. Someone dropped loose change on the Clavinova I grew up with, and it really messed it up.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I wonder...

Either my kids did something and no one fessed up, or maybe the original owner dropped something (I bought it used about two years ago) which has slowly migrated...?

I tried that about two hours back. I am tall enough with a large enough arm span to do it myself. There is perhaps less clacking from the A4, but the B4 noise persists even after a good vigourous shaking :cry:.

Have you tried having a friend help you lift it up & turn it upside down? I think Max is on the money, there's a coin or some other object that got stuck in there. Turning the keyboard over and shaking it a bit might be all you need to do.

I tried that about two hours back. I am tall enough with a large enough arm span to do it myself. There is perhaps less clacking from the A4, but the B4 noise persists even after a good vigourous shaking :cry:.

UPDATE:

After seeing your posts, I decided to enlist some help and had my wife try shaking with me. The first few shakes succeeded in displacing the noisy keys from A4 and B4 to B4 and C5, all the more motivation to turn it over and give it much harder and prolonged shake. Lo and behold, the noise is gone!

Thanks Reezekeys and everyone else!

[video:youtube]

Good news. Nothing came out though, right? If it is a coin or something, it will kind of migrate around and, at least on the Clavinova I spoke of, make keys randomly trigger maximum velocity when playing.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Have you tried having a friend help you lift it up & turn it upside down? I think Max is on the money, there's a coin or some other object that got stuck in there. Turning the keyboard over and shaking it a bit might be all you need to do.

UPDATE:

After seeing your posts, I decided to enlist some help and had my wife try shaking with me. The first few shakes succeeded in displacing the noisy keys from A4 and B4 to B4 and C5, all the more motivation to turn it over and give it much harder and prolonged shake. Lo and behold, the noise is gone!

Thanks Reezekeys and everyone else!

]

You are now a honorary roadie.

When venue is in a city you never heard of in a state you'd never thought you be in you do whatever you can to get something to work.