Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 note keys under desk bracket query

Hi all,

I"m thinking of installing a slide out base for my Casio pxs3000 keyboard under my studio desk. I don"t want the keyboard coming out very far...really only as far as the back of the keys as I plan on doing any midi related stuff though another interface on the desk so If I slide the keys further out I"ll end up stretching for stuff on the desk. So would any of you know of sliding brackets that give you a number of locking positions rather than just having a set that slide all the way out and lock? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dockeys.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently build a desk and did a fairly comprehensive survey of locking sliders with the hopes that I'd find something like this. No such luck. If you find something that does do the trick I would be curious. I did, however, discover that the 16" heavy-duty Vadania sliders I selected can be tricked into locking in a manner that stops the drawer from closing past the 8" mark - though they'll freely slide out the rest of the way. It's a little bit fiddly, but it works surprisingly well in those instances where I don't want full extension.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

• 3 weeks later...
What I saw someone do making a budget setup, but might serve your needs. Instead of a drawer with sliders they got a Z-style keyboard stand with wheels. So keyboard can be pulled out and then pushed back under desktop. Here's the type of keyboard stand he used.

Keyboard stand with wheels

That's what I used as a solution, except I goofed up and got the one without wheels, but it's ok b/c it slides on the carpet real well.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I currently have a tabletop stand under the keyboard that slides in and out but it's lowest height setting makes the desk very high to works off which is why I'm looking at a slide out shelf. Pigmeat that's exactly what's I'm looking at doing so thanks for posting those photos. Ill try and get something made up over the holidays and once it's done I'll post some pics. Thanks again to all the responses.

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to getting my under desk shelf for my 88 note keyboard. Rather than put this in a new thread I've put it here and another one that's related. So I've been looking at trying to get one of these made up for about 6 months. I've tried putting the keyboard on a stand and wheeling it in and out with mixed success. Sometimes the stand keeps hitting off my legs and most of the stands I used are fine at the minimum height for playing but force the desk up too high for typing/editing.

So first off I hacked together a sit/stand desk from an Ikea Skarsta frame and a kitchen countertop. The widest Skarsta desk was still very tight to squeeze an 88 note keyboard under it but if you drill a few extra holes in the metal frame you can lengthen it by 8-10 cms which gives much more wiggle room. The top of the desk is an Ikea kitchen countertop that's a little to shallow but again you can drill a few extra holes in the frame to accommodate and there's no issue with balance or the thing tipping over as it's solid as a rock.

I've been using the Casio PXs3000 as my midi contoller for a couple of years and it works well in most cases though I would love a dedicated mod wheel so will have to connect a stand-alone one on the desk down the line. But the Casio is really slim and not very high so I was able to install it almost right up to the underside of the desk enabling me to have a few cms extra leg room.

Then last week I attached two end cheeks to the underside of the desk. I cut out a longer section for the keyboard with a piece cut out in the centre for more legroom. I had to get a local woodworker to use a router to smooth it out for me so it would't dig into my legs.

I used some Accuride drawer sliders to push the whole thing in and out and they have a max load of 45kg. Tracking this down was the hardest as the frame for the desk runs through the middle so I was very limited by how much I could push the keyboard back but finally I found a good set of sliders. They do lock in when closed but not when fully extended so I added some metal brackets that I twist down to lock out when in use and raise up to push back in.

So here it is pushed back under the desk:

1.jpg

And pulled out fully:

2.jpg

It locked back into position when closed but not when opened so I installed some metal brackets that I pull down behind the desk and it locks when out now.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here's a side profile of the end cheeks and slider. Ignore the multiple holes in the underside of the desk as it's had several uses over the years!

5.jpg

And here it is opened and at standing height if I need to stand and play...which is rare but it's nice to have the option:

6.jpg

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Lady Gaia and Pigmeat for their posts about their respective setups which helped me a lot. Not to mention all the others who have chimed in over the last few months. If anyone wants the details or my very rough sketch pm me or I can upload them here for you. Thanks again to everyone.

Dockeys

most of the stands I used are fine at the minimum height for playing but force the desk up too high for typing/editing
I plan on doing something similar to this, but use a tray that attaches to the desk for the QWERTY keyboard and trackpad. I can remove it when using the 88-note keyboard.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI