Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm looking for a good powered USB hub

It's gotten to the point that I need to get my setup organized again. I've got about 13 devices or drives using USB with my iMac, using several smaller hubs daisy chained together. Does anyone make a sturdy unit that can accomodate that many devices?

Maybe something like this?

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/hb30a10ame

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a StarTech 7-port hub. For my drives and my webcam it works quite well. My audio interface and my Time Machine drive demand to be plugged in directly to the computer.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I don't have anywhere near that many USB devices hooked up at the same time, so my little Plugable 7-port hub connected to Caldigit dock works just fine. But with as many USB devices as you describe, you may want to consider getting a hub with a MTT chipset.

Essentially, as I understand it USB doesn't really expect to lose packets, unlike ethernet or wifi. So a consideration under heavy multiple loads is how well the hub passes transactions to intended destinations. If your hub chipset loses packets, no big deal with a mouse - maybe a bigger deal with another usage.

Multiple transaction translator (MTT) chipsets support more bandwidth without packet loss. While not typically advertised in the product spec, a little sniffing to identify the chipset (a brand like Plugable notes this in their hub product descriptions) can help ID MTT hubs v STT hubs.

Just a consideration.

I have a bunch of hubs of all different sizes, and the one that gets worked the hardest is my 10-port Anker, which is solid as a tank. I recommend the brand highly and would bet the 14-port model would do everything you need it to. Just be sure you can hook it up to a USB3 port if you possibly can, so you don't choke the bandwidth.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Another Anker fan here.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Based on all the Anker love in this thread, I bought a powered 7 port USB 3.0 Anker hub from Ankerdirect on eBay. Just pulled the trigger, the cheap crappy USB hub I have now is starting to poop itself.
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.