Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA series vs. JV1080

I sense my JV is about to die.... many glitches and subtle power loss made me started looking for a hardware substitute (already have the VST version but want a hardware to gig).

I"ve found the same waveforms in FA online manual so I think it would work fine.

Am I missing something?

Tks!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The FA inclues the XV-5080 waves, which I think means it also includes the 1080 waves, so you should be able to get basically the same soundd (plus the SuperNATURAL acoustic and synth tones of the FA).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Be aware that the keybed of the FA-07 (76 keys) has been said to be much better than that of the FA-61 (61 keys). It is not just that they FA-07 has more keys. Many have reported that they hate the black keys on the FA-06, and that the FA-07 is significantly better.

Both the FA-06 and FA-07 have what Roland calls a "synth" keyboard action. The FA-08 has a weighted keyboard action, and thus its mechanism is a totally different animal.

If you prefer a sound module, the Roland Integra-7 also has all the same sounds as the FA-06/07/08. Comparing the two options (Integra-7 vs. FA), they both support Roland's "SuperNatural" sounds. The Integra-7 allows you to load many of the additional "EXP" sound banks and use sounds from any them, while the FA only allows you to load two of these additional "EXP" banks at a time. But the Integra-7 only allows you to define 64 "Studio Sets", while the FA allows you to define up to 512 "Studio Sets".

I didn't know there was a JV1080 plugin - looks like you have to do the Roland subscription thing though - and does it give you the expansion board sounds?

OP could do what I did when I transitioned from my XP50 to a laptop: I picked up a used JV1010 to carry around in case of computer failure. That has to be a lot less cake than the Intregra, as long as it can give you the sounds you need (and you don't mind editing on a computer). I got mine for about $150 US in 2006 and they've appreciated in value since then. It has the Session expansion board built in plus a slot for one more board.

I agree with the above, having had an XP-50, XP-30, Integra-7 and the new Fantom. An FA or the Integra-7 do have the 1080 patches in the same order, but there are cheaper options if that"s all you want. Other compatible modules, beside the JV-1010 include the JV-2080, XV-5080(best), XV-3080, XV-2020, and XV-5050(newest). The XR module contains other patches from the Fantom X series. If you use any SR-JV80 expansion boards, the XV-5050 and XV-2020 fo not use those, only SRX. The Integra-7 is completely worth having though, as it contains all of the SRX expansion boards, loadable into 4 software slots at a time. It"s limited 64 multi locations won"t be a problem if you are used to only 32 multis in the JV-1080. It has an ipad patch assigning app, and a full 64bit VST editor. The JV-1080 sounds are also found in every Roland Zencore device(Fantoms, Jupiter X/Xm, RD-88, MC-707, MC101 and AX-Edge. The ZenBeats app also has the ZC1 ZenCore engine, so you can have JV-1080 sounds on an iPhone.

The JV-1080 VST does not have any expansions with it. Roland does not offer any SR-JV80 expansions for it, only SRX as separate plugins, and those are regurgitated in different lumps of content. The JV-1080 plugin was always kind of a hybrid since it came out, containing all the 1083 waveforms from the later XV series, and and more of the later effects than the original 40 in the JV-1080. Zenology VST also features these sounds and the SRX expansions as options, but there are no master Reverb/Chorus, and the patch structures are differen. The JV-1080 and XV-5080 plugins are most like the originals in that regard.

If you prefer a sound module, the Roland Integra-7 also has all the same sounds as the FA-06/07/08. Comparing the two options (Integra-7 vs. FA), they both support Roland's "SuperNatural" sounds.

except the Integra has FAR more SuperNatural Acoustic tones than the FA does.

There"s the off chance that a successor is launched at NAMM.

Even if NAMM happens this year, I don't think Roland has typically timed their product introductions around NAMM, at least in recent history.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some or maybe all those patches are in the juno DS.

While the DS does not include the actual xx80 sound set, yes, it might have some of those patches but definitely not all... but a facsimile of the full set can be downloaded into it (though I'm not sure whether all the banks can be loaded simultaneously). More detail...

xp50player did a great summing up of all the places Roland has used the xx80 sound set. But the Juno DS comes mostly from the Fantom S/X (and maybe some G?) lineage, which did not include the xx80 sound set, though, yes, it's possible that some sounds made it over. Interestingly, there was enough demand for the "old" sounds that Roland came out with a download option that brought the XV-5080 sounds to the Fantom S/X (IIRC), though the release notes included a caveat that, since the Fantoms did not include all the original waves, they had to do some substitutions, so some patches would not sound quite the same. Coming back to modern day, Axial has the XV-5080 banks as downloads you can bring into the Juno DS. Since the DS has a Fantom-based rather than XV-based waveset, I'm guessing that these are the identical patches that they made for the Fantom, with the same limitation.

You can"t go wrong with either FA or Integra. I really like the studio set architecture and the way interface is presented on the FA. I gig on the 06. The action on the FA-06 is ass. But it is a great slave. The built in SP404 is a great live tool.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I know.. whiners are wieners and this is not my personal therapy space :-) but here I go.

Yesterday I visited my local music store, had the chance to play with both FA06 and FA07.

Both Mr. Harmonizer and Mr. CEB are completely right. Keybeds are different from FA07 to FA06, being FA07 closer to the 'standard' key size, better feeling, and FA06 with the short length keys, much more plastic feels, almost like a toy.

Now my OCD kicked in⦠and this is related to one of my previous posts on Roland A800 Pro joystick: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3046391/1

Both boards had this hideous initial leg in the pitchstick (almost exactly as the A800 Pro), making it almost impossible to use with the bend-vibrato technique that relies almost 100% on the initial bend response.

What intrigues me is that I"ve seen many videos of players using those boards pitchstick with a very good response where I see minimal physical bender leg.

Logic saysâ¦

1. I"m wrong on my perception.

2. There are different components/configurations/assemblies for Roland boards (much more applicable to the non flagship synths/controllers). Videos on my previous thread shows a clear difference between Fantom and the other boards.

3. There are different components/configurations/assemblies even for the same model.

As all of the above made me feel very frustrated I"ve decided to not proceed with my purchase.

Bad day for GAS + OCDâ¦

I have had several Roland devices - JV1080, Roland XP30 (still have it) , XV (still have it), FA76 (still have it) and XV88.

There are a number of XP30s kicking around and fetching good prices on EBay - I'd recommend one of those, fantastic synth for sounds and playability

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

completey out of my mind idea (brainstorming): purchasing an used FA06, stripping out the keybed and pitch bend, work with wood and have a "tabletop" version to be controlled by USB/MIDI... who is with me? :-)

Here's what someone did to their Korg Krome when they wanted to use it as a module... I guess you could do it with an FA...

krome-chop.jpg

Just get an Integra 7. Don"t let the 64 Studio Set limit stop you. You can easily swap your sets via USB flash memory. Thumb drives are cheap.

The way I use the FA I don"t use many Studio Sets anyway. It"s a MIDI slave to my controller. Each studio set I treat as a virtual 16 space rack and the voices are external Combi zones.

I have no problems with the paddle. Eventually the spring will probably need replaced. Had to replace them on my SH101 and D-50. That is the nature of those Roland paddles. I use the FA for occasional leads. It works. The keys are fast. The action sucks if playing in chordal structures wher the thumb is on a black key. I"m crammed deep too close to the 'fall board". But it works and I have pretty big hands.

The Integra 7 gives you more sonic capability and you don't have to butcher it to make it a module... but the FA does give you a nice control surface, and it would be cheaper...

The best part about the FA live is the built in SP404 sampler. I use it a lot. Mine is loaded with risers, drops, sound effects, stupid stuff like Looney Tunes samples. Set intros I created in Cubase, etc... it"s a big part of the Pop band show. The sampler is why it stays in the Pop rig and I can"t cost justify a Fantom 7 just because I need the sampler..... and I hate extraneous small doo-dads like an actual SP404

To my ears, Roland has been selling the same "sounds" for a few decades now. :idk::laugh:

Finding the *right* Roland KB to store those sounds and from which to play them is the main hurdle especially with the newer KBs.

I just sold a Roland FA-07. It was great if one digs the Roland sound dating back to the JVs. As CEB mentioned, the onboard SP404 is a blast.

Providing the OP can get beyond paddle issue, the FA-07 would be an excellent replacement for the JV. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

What keyboard were you using to play your JV1080? Keep using that and buy another used JV1080 that works, or a JV1010 like I did. I can't help noticing that every similar post here winds up with KC forumites doing what they do best â spending someone else's money!

[EDIT - yea, "spending someone else's money" is what I'm doing too, just a lot less of it! :)

Good luck, whatever you decide!]

Yeah, for 30 years, but they are nice sounds. Roland is getting maximum mileage out of Eric Persing"s sound designs.

That is why I got the D-05. I can take my whole D-50 library out with cleaner audio output in a very small module that sets on top the Kronos. My D-50 pads kill the Kronos.

What keyboard were you using to play your JV1080? Keep using that and buy another used JV1080 that works, or a JV1010 like I did. I can't help noticing that every similar post here winds up with KC forumites doing what they do best â spending someone else's money!

[EDIT - yea, "spending someone else's money" is what I'm doing too, just a lot less of it! :)

Good luck, whatever you decide!]

Any experience on how to edit the JV1080 or JV1010 nowadays? Any PC friendly software?

Any experience on how to edit the JV1080 or JV1010 nowadays? Any PC friendly software?

I don"t know of anything for PC, but this works with the iPad and Macs

https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base/editor/roland/jv-1080

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I had the Patch Base iPad app for a minute but the subscription thing was a deal-breaker since I hardly ever use my JV1010 â it's an emergency backup.

Just saw this on u-tube, might be worth checking out if you use a PC -

(had to mute the soundtrack!)

If you look a little harder you might find a free download of the old "SoundDiver JV/XP" software. The Mac version won't run on anything modern but the PC version might (if the latest Windows runs Windows XP software, I guess) â I remember using it in the last year or two running on my Mac using WINE â it worked! I can't find it on my hard drive anymore, I must have deleted it but I don't remember when or how.

[EDIT - I'm losing brain cells fast. I got SoundDiver (the "general" version not the JV/XP specific one) going from info in a thread here!: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3024230/sound-diver-works-again-mac-and-pc ]

I had the Patch Base iPad app for a minute but the subscription thing was a deal-breaker since I hardly ever use my JV1010 â it's an emergency backup.

I believe there are options for a one-time purchase of a single editor for $29.99 or all editors for $99.99 in addition to a subscription options for all editors for $5.99 monthly or $59.99 annually.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I believe there are options for a one-time purchase of a single editor for $29.99 or all editors for $99.99 in addition to a subscription options for all editors for $5.99 monthly or $59.99 annually.

I'm sure you're right and I forgot that. I really needed to do one edit on my JV1010 - make an EG's time 0 instead of 1! Other than that I have no need to touch it. It lives in my accessory case, where I take it out from every few years to make sure the one "emergency" combi patch I have is still in memory. The last time I did this I spent time scrolling around & enjoying the JV sounds I hadn't heard in so long. What struck me is that I liked the analog-synth type pad sounds more than the typical rompler fare. There's some nice stuff in there. IMO the JV1010 is great bang-for-the-buck if you want that flavor in a hardware piece that's small enough to slip into a backpack or accessory bag â as long as you're OK with patch & combi editing on a computer. It's pretty cool that in 2020 I can do that running a Windows XP 90s-era patch editor on my Mac!

I can't hear the 1080 beat the 1010 in terms of sound, but I do see the 1010 beat everything in terms of size and price.

However for practical control you need something that can deal with roland's sysex. The software solutions are pretty fiddly, but the A-pro controllers and/or the BCR2000 will do the job. What I would really like to control it:

50676429391_388e2e2a39.jpg

JD800 by unoh7, on Flickr

The JD800 is the only thing that has the full layout for the JV1010 patch editing. They are not cheap or small unfortunately.

I have an A-Pro and BCR2000 now, but I need 40 hours to get them talking realtime to the 1010 in a usuable way, LOL I tried sounddiver and several of the newer software methods. I could get them to work, but impractical for realtime IMHO. Knobs. I want knobs or sliders. And perferably no laptop or phone needed.

The 1010 and 1080 really hit a sweetspot in terms of clean sound to my ears, and of course they are 16 channel multi-timbral. There are huge editing options, just very hard to reach.

If Roland had any sense of their fanbase mindset, they would release a controller with the gamut of the JD800 ready to control 1010s et al out of the box. Yes, in 2020. Imagine the hype and free coverage. But they would worry it might cut into more modern sales.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.