Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

I hardly listen but I remember that I listened to the Notting Hillbillies album in October and may give it another spin fairly soon.

One of Mark Knopfler's early projects after Dire Straits, good stuff.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Two lovely discs arrived over the weekend:

Mark Kelly's Marathon: solo project from Marillion's keyboard player. Wonderfully written, played & produced.

[video:youtube]

The Cyberiam: Forging Nations (Live) I was at this show; they are a tight unit. Great energy.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I am listening to two tracks.

Since I am supposed to come up with an acoustic guitar track for a second annual collaboration Christmas offering, I am learning River by Joni Mitchell. Pretty straightforward, I am working on capo 5 so the C is a cowboy chord G shape.

This makes the iconic "Jingle Bells goes minor" intro easier to finger and puts me well out of the way of the other guitar.

That's one.

I am also listening to the raw tracks of a remix competition on Metapop. Hana is the artist. I think I'll keep the lead vocal and start over on the rest of it. They compressed it and you can hear lots of breath noises and sibilance so it's sort of a disaster but I can always make it worse! The tempo and key information are included, it will be easy to build something completely different.

• 2 weeks later...

the combination of COVID-19 sales and the usual holiday sales have sent a lot of vinyl to my doorstep...

The Police box set... the remastering of these records sounds incredible... I've never heard them sound this good.

Dire Straits studio album box set - ditto.

Roxy Music box set - other than a cassette someone made for me of the first record and "Avalon," I've never owned these though I've heard them and streamed them tons... sounds great to my ears.

The Band box set - again, knowing these records from thrift store vinyl copies or cds this is heaven!

New bands?

Deep Sea Diver... I'd noticed Jessica Dobson over the years playing guitar for Beck and The Shins... don't know how I'd missed her band but a rig rundown prompted me to give them a listen. Great indie pop with some 80s new wave (Pat Benatar, Quarterflash, Missing Persons, Divinyls) undercurrents and great guitar parts and tones. Ordered all the vinyl from them I could find.

• 4 weeks later...

What's in my ears?

Steve Howe's latest solo album Love Is. Reminds me a lot of his early 90's instrumental albums. His voice, which has always kind of annoyed me, actually works on most of these songs! And when Jon Davidson sings harmony, they blend really well.

Mark Kelly's Marathon. For a solo project form a keyboard player (from Marillion), I expected more of a "look at me" keyboard tour de force. But it's a great album of solid songs and excellent BAND work. Plenty of good guitar parts, too.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

For some reason, Cream's Pressed Rat and Warthog has been in my head for days . . .

Sadly they left, telling no one goodbye.

Pressed rat wore red jodhpurs, warthog a striped tie.

Between them, they carried a three-legged sack,

Went straight round the corner and never came back.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New bands?

Deep Sea Diver... I'd noticed Jessica Dobson over the years playing guitar for Beck and The Shins... don't know how I'd missed her band but a rig rundown prompted me to give them a listen. Great indie pop with some 80s new wave (Pat Benatar, Quarterflash, Missing Persons, Divinyls) undercurrents and great guitar parts and tones. Ordered all the vinyl from them I could find.

That"s a great find! I looked up a couple their other videos so far, and I like what I hear.

To my ear, though, they have less in common with those (great) 80s bands, and more with bands who followed them, like Radiohead, Yeah, Teah, Yeahs or Band Of Skulls. Maybe Khruangbin? DSD"s song 'Wide Awake' is REALLY pushing some buttons in my head that remind me of the baseline and drums of another later-era indie song that"s currently escaping me.

Edit: remembered what it was- Death Cab For Cutie"s 'I Will Possess Your Heart'

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Certainly, Danny... just her vocal melodies and performances remind me of the 80s acts I mentioned, filtered through the indie rock sensibilities that came later... but "Impossible Weight" really could've been on one of the 80s records or played at an 80s theme night by a dj and no one would know better.

For some reason, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey popped into my head two days ago, and has been floating around in there ever since. Played through it a bunch on the piano and guitar - still pinging around inside my brain.

What a fun track. So simple...and yet...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Mostly my listening this week is Freak Kitchen. A swedish hard rock three piece with a monster guitar player Mattias Eklundh. If you never heard of them you need to check them out. Notable tunes are teargas jazz, speak when spoken to, freak of the week, murder groupie and an awesome cover of a real old tune Goodie Goodie.

That's when I'm not digging judas priest firepower which totally rips for a band that has been going for 50 years!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I"ve been listening to a little bit of synthwave lately. Synthwave is an 80s-retro genre of (primarily) electronic music that essentially picks up where Jan Hammer, Brad Fiedel, early Satriani, late Ronnie Montrose and others left off.

Here"s a sampler article:

https://edm.com/features/top-10-synthwave-artists-2019

A lot of it is simplistic and disposable, but some of it has some real heft & complexity to it.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was listening to Sarah Lee Guthrie and I came across this by Arlo. Haleiwa is next door and Haleiwa Alii Beach is where I learned to surf.

Beautiful. I love slack key, and though this is really country folk, it has a healthy helping of slack key influence. Arlo is a treasure.

Scott Fraser

What's in my ears is usually whatever project I'm working on for clients at the moment, which lately has meant a lot of tango, as well as some very Darmstadt-School influenced avant-garde piano minimalism. But last night, unwinding after dinner, watching 'The Morning Show', an unsentimental look at the sausage factory that is network television, as two of the characters take a late night drive through Manhattan, what do we hear underscoring it but "Dirty Work", one of my favorite tracks from one of my favorite early 70s albums "Can't Buy a Thrill", & one of the very few Steely Dan tracks not sung by Donald Fagen. Now I'll have to go back & re-watch that part of the episode, because I'm afraid I missed all the dialog while "Dirty Work" was playing.

Scott Fraser

[font:Verdana]Loving this piece here:[/font]

I've seen a few videos by this artist, I love what she is doing. For the life of me, I remember that her first name is Yasmin.

I entered "Yasmin" into the search box for YouTube and Yasmin Williams came up. That is correct.

I love the music, she is focused on melodic sounds rather than virtuosity. For all that, I couldn't play what she plays to save my life.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

Recently Per Wiberg - All Is Well In The Land Of The Living But For The Rest Of Us . . . Lights Out . Once again a small release but very good.

I hope all of you are doing well

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

• 1 month later...

Nothing necessarily ground-breaking or new here, but really, really, good 'n tasteful...

"Les is More", Brad Paisley, from the album Play

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _