Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI din keyboard to MIDI USB keyboard

This has to be simple, right? Perhaps just the right cable to connect my Kawai ES110 MIDI din out to my Casio CT-X5000 (which has USB MIDI). I'm using the es-110 as the weighted controller for sounds on the ct-x5000. The ct-x5000 has both a USB A (it says flash drive port), and B, the mostly squarish port.

I looked a number of times on the web and they were all about connecting MIDI din and MIDI USB to a computer. I don't want the extra step of inserting a computer between the 2 keyboards. I simply want to go directly from one keyboard to another with the minimal amount of setup and expense required.

Thanks!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Kenton piece is the right kind of device. A simple cable won't do. Unlike standard MIDI, USB is a host-slave system rather than peer-to-peer. Since the Casio cannot act as a host, you need something that can, like a computer, iOS device, or one of these stand-alone hosts like the Kenton, or these

https://www.amazon.com/CAMOLA-MIDI-Host-Interface-Converter/dp/B08MZY59B7/ (cheapest, I don't know anything about it, but note it does not come with power supply, and it's got no reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/Midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-midiplus/dp/B074NGTGHN (this one comes with power supply, and seems like a known quantity)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[...]I simply want to go directly from one keyboard to another with the minimal amount of setup and expense required.

Thanks!

Since the CT-X5000 is USB-MIDI class compliant, see this for some choices:

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/15884-computerless-usb-midi-solutions-for-the-modern-casio-user-connecting-usb-midi-devices-without-a-computer/

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Nice! I saw iConnectivity mio4 on the list. I've never looked into iConnectivity products beyond what I've briefly seen at NAMM, but I always thought their stuff requires computer connection at all times.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Just as a "by the by" I found this among my travels the other day, an expression pedal with DIN MIDI out! exxy, but for all those PX-5S folks it would eb useful I'd reckon! https://beatbars.com/en/midi-expression-pedal.html

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Just as a "by the by" I found this among my travels the other day, an expression pedal with DIN MIDI out!

Digitech used to make a great pedal, the MC2, which was not only expression over MIDI, but had front panel controls to select from numerous alternate functions, without having to do any programming.

lttsxu3x0ggtdzj5x88d.jpg

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just as a "by the by" I found this among my travels the other day, an expression pedal with DIN MIDI out!

Digitech used to make a great pedal, the MC2, which was not only expression over MIDI, but had front panel controls to select from numerous alternate functions, without having to do any programming.

lttsxu3x0ggtdzj5x88d.jpg

Nice! Shame they don't still make it, in one form or another.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Thanks everyone! The key is the difference btw host-slave and peer to peer. I looked at 10 or so websites that offered cables to connect usb midi and midi din to computers, and didn't see a mention of that, but I mostly scanned.

That Digitech pedal is sweet!

Something I forgot to mention is that overall my setup involves an ES110 weighted controller (only has MIDI din in/out), the Korg PlugKey (requires MIDI din), and one of my arrangers (Casio CT-X5000, USB MIDI only, OR Korg Pa1000, MIDI din in/out and MIDI USB).

Instead of ordering that unit for $61 off of Amazon as AS suggested, I swapped out the CT-X5000 for my Korg Pa1000, which has MIDI din plugs. I do plan on ordering that box at some point, esp since the Pa1000 doesn't have a MIDI THRU, which I need to feed the Plugkey for the iPad and the Pa1000.

OT:

In conjunction with my Kawai ES110 as the weighted controller, I've been putting off using my Korg Pa1000 instead of the Casio CT-X5000. The Korg is a quantum leap beyond the Casio for sound quality (best I've heard overall in a keyboard), built-in speakers (again, best I've heard), and Styles (again, best of, sounds like you're playing with dialed in studio cats).

I realized last night that my reluctance to call the Pa1000 into play is because of the 'uncanny valley' that the Korg creates. Similar to robots that come very close to imitating a human, but there's something a little off that leaves you feeling a little weird. I've never taken arrangers seriously before the Korg, and now I use it to at least to have an interesting beat to play off of, and sometimes to learn the various expertly played parts, from bass to accompaniment to rhythym. I've tried many times to actually play songs using the 4 variations on the Style and the many other ways to change the song up; but still, I have rarely played a song successfully with it. Having played for the last many years in the park with mostly afro-cuban drummers, I find it really challenging to play with a canned beat, no matter how good it is. I don't really understand this!

Don't get me wrong, the CT-X5000 is an outstanding board for $450, best in class as far as I know. The speakers are great, the sounds are decent to good, and the keybed is surprisingly not bad (actually, it's about as good as the Pa1000 without the AT). A big part of its appeal is that it's 1/4 the price of the Pa1000, so packing it up to jams and family gatherings is a no-brainer. And while it, like any arranger, has a lot to understand, it's several orders of complexity simpler than the Pa1000, so more approachable.

Just thinking out loud! Thanks for all the help, and now that you know I've got a Korg Plugkey in the mix (the ES110 and the PlugKey/iPad are constants, the Casio and Korg are interchangeable), that might modify your suggestions.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB