Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Friday Deals, Anyone?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now in my email the Reason 11 upgrade is discounted 30%, I don't know if I'll be able to resist that although I'm ashamed at how long it's been since I've done any recording work. I can blame some (maybe even a lot) of it on the big storm that did so much damage to our house. All the outboard recording gear I have along with the MBP computer and interface/mixer dedicated to home recording got packed up and stored away, it won't see the light of day until next summer after we move away.

It's not a complete wash out however, I still have our live setup I can use that simply amounts to my other MBP with a lot of my best software and my MOTU 828x interface. Heck that might even be for the best as a streamlined approach if I would appropriate some time to it.

Couple of GoPro deals for Youtube video makers and the like

Sweetwater has $50 off on GoPro Hero 8 Black with free shipping:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hero8Bk--gopro-hero8-4k60-waterproof-action-camera

GoPro has their own Black Friday deal on Hero 9 Black - $349 for this bundle:

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html

Get The Clap Today!

What will Boz Digital think of next? El Clapo is a hand clap generator with an introductory price of $14.95, and a free download demo to play with while you're cogitating over whether you'll ever use hand claps. Save your hands for your guitars and make your clap track with a plug-in. Boz also has a few other deals on some of their unique tools.

The full El Clapo scoop here

A free beer and applause from me at the next NAMM show to the first one who comes up with crowd applause. Seems like if it could do that, they'd show it in the on-line demo. Maybe full "Slop" (that's one of its controls) will do it.

Y'know, there are lots of plug-ins in the $15-$30 range, with or without Black Friday. Then there are the $250 plug-ins that are often 25% off, which is still pretty expensive for a piece of software with no manufacturing or distribution cost once it's cast in code. I wonder why some are so pricey, some are so inexpensive, and there's a big gap in the middle

Get The Clap Today!

What will Boz Digital think of next? El Clapo is a hand clap generator with an introductory price of $14.95, and a free download demo to play with while you're cogitating over whether you'll ever use hand claps. Save your hands for your guitars and make your clap track with a plug-in. Boz also has a few other deals on some of their unique tools.

The full El Clapo scoop here

A free beer and applause from me at the next NAMM show to the first one who comes up with crowd applause. Seems like if it could do that, they'd show it in the on-line demo. Maybe full "Slop" (that's one of its controls) will do it.

Y'know, there are lots of plug-ins in the $15-$30 range, with or without Black Friday. Then there are the $250 plug-ins that are often 25% off, which is still pretty expensive for a piece of software with no manufacturing or distribution cost once it's cast in code. I wonder why some are so pricey, some are so inexpensive, and there's a big gap in the middle

Depends on where you look. IK Multimedia is offering TRackS 5 Max ($499.99) for $149.99 until Dec 1st, crossgrade ($299.99) is $89.99.

I can crossgrade into the full version of SampleTank4 for $79.99

They've got Black Friday deals up to 70% off on fairly spendy packages. I got MODO Drum so I'm done for now.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=blackfridaysw2020&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=blackfridaysw2020

Like all software/plugin vendors - there is good and bad in their products, their customer service and their sales practices. Forums are a great way to learn what is good and bad about various companies.

For some, it is the endless barrage of sales spam - Waves comes to mind. For others, it is that they suggest you keep copies of all of your installers - IK Multimedia does this. Bearing in mind that SampleTank Max is a bit over 250 gigs download and that is quite the burden they place on all of their customers instead of keeping copies on servers or in the cloud.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Depends on where you look. IK Multimedia is offering TRackS 5 Max ($499.99) for $149.99 until Dec 1st, crossgrade ($299.99) is $89.99.

Those are indeed pretty hefty discounts, but they're off pretty hefty prices. I guess they're worth it to some people who want to have a lot of choices, but honestly, I think audio production, particularly the stuff pitched to people like us, should be simpler and less expensive. If Capitol Studios wants to spend $500 for the big TRackS bundle, well, they probably have a client who will be impressed by it.

Those are indeed pretty hefty discounts, but they're off pretty hefty prices. I guess they're worth it to some people who want to have a lot of choices, but honestly, I think audio production, particularly the stuff pitched to people like us, should be simpler and less expensive. If Capitol Studios wants to spend $500 for the big TRackS bundle, well, they probably have a client who will be impressed by it.

Point (if there is one) is that the discounted price falls into that "middle ground" you said seemed to be missing.

I agree with the principal that things should be fairly simple. Sometimes having many choices is not a good thing. I have more than enough T-RackS plugins now so I won't be buying this time around.

The ones I've gotten around to using I have liked. CSR Hall and there is a Compressor/LImiter whose name I've forgotten. "One" is pretty good, supposed to be all you need for a mastering plugin but that doesn't stop them from offering umpty bajillion others variations that sort of look like vintage gear.

Except for drum plugins, I don't use them for tracking. If I get a good sound without them then I may try a couple afterward but I don't always keep them. My current goal is to proclaim some plugins as not worthy of disk space and deleting them. I'd like a simpler overall setup with just the stuff that sounds good to me. I won't mess with SampleTank though, it's super easy to navigate and a huge library of sounds is a different matter.

Oh that's some very dangerous news, Gov.

I just bought the Plugin Alliance/Brainworx SSL 4000 E for $30 instead of $399. Looking forward to comparing it to my Waves SSL which I use(d) quite frequently. The Plugin Alliance stuff has been finding it onto everything lately... the SPL PassEQ is amazing on pianos and the mix bus.

I will probably pick up something from NI's Black Friday sale and maybe more Plugin Alliance stuff. Has anyone tried the Lindell Audio Pultec clone?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Oh, damn. I really didn't want to see that, Gov.

I hear ya, LOL!

I wasn't interested at first. Then I realized it comes with compressors, EQs, DB25 breakout ports to facilitate summing, etc.

It's an amazing small mixer. I want a couple of them!!!! Not gonna happen any time soon, dang it!

All Smithsonian Folkways recordings ordered through their On-Line Webstore - CDs, Downloads, and even Vinyl - are 20% off through Sunday November 29 with the checkout code BLACKFRIDAY20. Be sure to peruse the whole catalog, or at least the artists or genres you want to peruse. They have thousands of recordings in their catalog, a couple of them even recorded by me!

I like the imagery of clipping even better.

I think of it as running out of headroom :)

At which point my tendency is to accept the "happy accident" and commit. There were too many hairs on too many gnat's asses that needed splitting, a LONG time ago!!!!!

XLN Audio has a big sale, with Addictive Drums 2 being down to $89 (or $79 at AudioDeluxe). AD2 is my go-to virtual drum plugin for realism so I was happy I could pick up the full version finally.

8DIO has a 55% off sale off of everything but their new Studio Solo Strings, Fire Trombone, and the Prophet X/XL (lol!). That means their $198 libraries are now $66, which is awesome. Not a VST guy but I picked up their 1985 Passionate Piano instrument because I don't have any software pianos that are nice and that was a good price (and I ended up picking up Kontakt earlier anyways).

GospelMusicians has up to 50% off of everything as well.

Plugin Boutique has some Exponential Audio/iZotope stuff on sale too - like PhoenixVerb for $9.99.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I went ahead and got Izotope Breaktweaker Expanded and Iris 2.

The libraries are pretty big, lots of sounds. I was wondering how they were asking $249 for Breaktweaker and $149 for Iris but these are interesting sound collections (I watched the names flash by on install).

I may try to use only those two plugins on a Metapop remix, haven't done one in a while and there's one I sort of like open right now. It can be a fun way to learn a bit about a plugin.

Drums and synth covers a pretty large range.

XLN Audio has a big sale, with Addictive Drums 2 being down to $89 (or $79 at AudioDeluxe). AD2 is my go-to virtual drum plugin for realism so I was happy I could pick up the full version finally.

I'm with you on Addictive Drums 2...really good stuff.

Of course, NOW Eventide pops up with sale pricing.

https://store.eventideaudio.com/pages/cyber-monday-holiday-sale?mc_cid=409ee4dc76&mc_eid=e29f1cfa9a

Fortunately, it runs until Jan 4th. I have Micro-Pitch and Physion and they are both excellent. Omnipressor was reviewed in Tape Op and got very high ratings.

In any case, they've provided a sufficient window to download and test a trial before buying. My limited experience with their plugins has been very good.

The interface makes it easy to use and both Micro-Pitch and Physion have "bonus" features that make them versatile.

I think it's safe for me to say that if I had started out using Eventide plugins, I probably would not own nearly as many plugins as I do now.