Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Just heard through the Eventide Facebook users group that the H9 has reached it's end of development, there will be no more new algorithms developed for it and the lower end H9 Core models will no longer be sold starting in January. I have an H9 on my Rhodes pedalboard, but I am always pulling it off to use it on other stuff like synths, and have also used it in an effects loop on my mixer when mixing albums. So I just ordered a H9 Core, which I can upgrade to a Max automatically. It's one of the coolest pedals I've ever owned, and even if there are no new developments on it, there's decades of exploring to be had with the existing algorithms.

1390315556_1024569.jpg

Also ordered one of these, it alows you to share one expression pedal between 3 devices. I have 4 expression pedals on my Rhodes pedalboard, 1 for the H9 mentioned above, one controlling a Chase Bliss Mood pedal, one controlling a Moog Ring Mod, and one going into a midi controller, it's pretty crowded and confusing, I'm hoping this simplifies it somewhat.

ExpMini-large.jpg

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Modal Electronics Argon8X. It sounds great, reminds me of an updated version of my old Waldorf MWXT. Plus it's got a Fatar TP/9S keybed that's exactly the type of feel I like.

slide-_0000s_0001_argon8x-right-scaled.jpg

Wow, I didn't even know about that board. Looks great, sounds great, and not much money! Thanks for sharing....

Modal Electronics Argon8X. It sounds great, reminds me of an updated version of my old Waldorf MWXT. Plus it's got a Fatar TP/9S keybed that's exactly the type of feel I like.

Cool! I picked up one of their Skulpt Modules on the recent price drop, and have been really digging the sound, it has a liveliness and fatness I didn't expect from a purely digital module, while being unmistakeably and unrepentently digital. Have been thinking about getting one of it's bigger brothers.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Purchased and downloaded Korg iWavestation for iPad plus the expansion card over the weekend. 50% off until 12/30. Gorgeous sounds and it's been fun to sync the percussion sequences with the drum loops on my VR-09b. But then again I'm just a 90's dinosaur.....

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Purchased and downloaded Korg iWavestation for iPad plus the expansion card over the weekend. 50% off until 12/30. Gorgeous sounds and it's been fun to sync the percussion sequences with the drum loops on my VR-09b. But then again I'm just a 90's dinosaur.....

This is one of my favorite apps. Tons of new wavetable apps out there now, but I tend to wax nostalgic and have a blast mixing, matching, and lining up samples with the Korg. Good score on the 50%! Superb time to max that baby out.

Just heard through the Eventide Facebook users group that the H9 has reached it's end of development, there will be no more new algorithms developed for it and the lower end H9 Core models will no longer be sold starting in January. I have an H9 on my Rhodes pedalboard, but I am always pulling it off to use it on other stuff like synths, and have also used it in an effects loop on my mixer when mixing albums. So I just ordered a H9 Core, which I can upgrade to a Max automatically. It's one of the coolest pedals I've ever owned, and even if there are no new developments on it, there's decades of exploring to be had with the existing algorithms.

Oh jeez! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to keep an eye out for sales. Always had GAS for those. The Core to Max update is just software? Is it always free?

1390315556_1024569.jpg

I love my H9 Max.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

use-cases-1.jpg

Just ordered a Zynthian Synth Kit based around Raspberry Pi 4 from the shop at Zynthian Org

I have already installed the open source software, inc. the default libraries, on a Pi 4 fitted with a HiFiBerry DAC + ADC Pro sound "hat" and I'm quite impressed with the results when connected to amp and monitors. Even with the onboard Pi headphone socket, not fed by the HiFiBerry, and not generally rated, it's still, in my opinion, not bad at all. Certainly good enough to use in an environment where headphones are required.

I was using an iPad as the UI display (with VNC Client App) and of course real-time "adjustment" of rotary settings was not really great for playing.

So I bit the bullet ref. spending the money, and have ordered a kit from them.

Main reason for buying was to have a really compact stand-alone synth box that could be easily transported and used with a mini keyboard (in this case a Nektar SE25) that fitted into a laptop bag - the Nektar that is. I sprung for the little carry case for the Zynthian box too.

Assuming it all arrives and works OK, I'll maybe post a bit about it, if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Oh jeez! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to keep an eye out for sales. Always had GAS for those. The Core to Max update is just software? Is it always free?

The Core to Max update is only free if you already own a Max. Because the H9 can only run 1 algorithm at once, there"s good reason to own several, and you could save about $300 if you bought a Core as the 2nd unit. Starting in Jan, they won"t sell the Core or basic H9 anymore, but will still manufacture and sell the Max. They are also apparently closing the online shop for purchasing the algorithms to upgrade the Core, so there won"t be any official path to update the Core any longer.

The Max is still a deal, though, imho. As you may have noticed, I"m something of an echo/delay junky. Since getting the Max, when I see a new delay pedal on the market and start gassing, I can often get close to its functionality in the H9. It kinda pays for itself, in my admittedly twisted logic.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I love my H9 Max.

dB

Did you see that they are making the full suite of VST/AU versions of the H9 algorithms free to all H9 Max owners? That"s an awesome deal! I often use the H9 in an effects loop while mixing, this way, I can keep it all in the DAW.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I love my H9 Max.

dB

Did you see that they are making the full suite of VST/AU versions of the H9 algorithms free to all H9 Max owners? That"s an awesome deal! I often use the H9 in an effects loop while mixing, this way, I can keep it all in the DAW.

Wow! I have the Micro Pitch and Physion plugins and I LOVE the Eventide sound and great layout both plugins have.

No budget for now, would love to have the H9 Max AND the software suite.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I love my H9 Max.

dB

Wow! I have the Micro Pitch and Physion plugins and I LOVE the Eventide sound and great layout both plugins have.

Apparently the deal runs to the end of December.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I love my H9 Max.

dB

Apparently the deal runs to the end of December.

Gonna have to figure something out then... hmmm - rob a bank?...

I love my H9 Max.

dB

Yup.

I'm having a problem in that my Max wasn't a Max originally - they updated it for me - so I'm not showing up as eligible! :facepalm: I already emailed them...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

IK Multimedia Modo Drum. Was $299, crossgrade (I qualify) was 119.99 and I had 34 Jam points so I paid $85.99.

It's a big step up from Native Instruments Studio Drummer, which I bought in 2012 and is still useful.

Lots to learn!

Also ordered one of these, it alows you to share one expression pedal between 3 devices. I have 4 expression pedals on my Rhodes pedalboard, 1 for the H9 mentioned above, one controlling a Chase Bliss Mood pedal, one controlling a Moog Ring Mod, and one going into a midi controller, it's pretty crowded and confusing, I'm hoping this simplifies it somewhat.

ExpMini-large.jpg

This might be a near-future new purchase. I have several effects pedals with expression input but have struggled to figure out how to manage multiple expression pedals.

I just bought the Plugin Alliance/Brainworx SSL 4000 E for $30 instead of $399. Looking forward to comparing it to my Waves SSL which I use(d) quite frequently. The Plugin Alliance stuff has been finding it onto everything lately... the SPL PassEQ is amazing on pianos and the mix bus.

I will probably pick up something from NI's Black Friday sale and maybe more Plugin Alliance stuff. Has anyone tried the Lindell Audio Pultec clone?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Here's some info on the H9 options: https://www.eventideaudio.com/one-h9-rule-them-all

H9 Max owners can use the algorithm-sharing function to share algorithms with up to 3 H9 Core units, if memory serves. So basically for the price of one H9 Max and 3 H9 Cores, you could potentially have 4 H9 Max's. I dunno if I'd buy 3 Cores but I'd like to add at least one Core to share with my H9 Max.

So it's BlackFriday got a little bit of a deal. Been wanting Keyscape for awhile now so it's on its way to me. Now want a 88 key MIDI controller with a good piano like keybed considering the M-Audio Hammer 88 or the NI S88. Any comments on Hammer 88 vs S88?

Alesis Nitro Mesh kit with 2 pairs of nylon-tipped Vic Firth 5a sticks and a PDP throne - for my little brother who's starting out.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I don't usually do much for Black Friday, but people and businesses need money right now badly to keep employees around, there were actually some useful things on sale for once, and I could swing it. I should be set for the foreseeable future for both hardware and software, seeing as the previous purchase was Cubase 10.5 Pro and I'm set on hardware for everything else.

• AKG K275 Closed-back Foldable Studio Headphones - needed some closed-back phones for stage usage.
  • Nektar MIDIFLEX4 USB MIDI Interface - works with iOS, Mac, and PC - the mio2 was discontinued so this just came out and will work for me live with Keystage.
  • JBL LSR305P MkII 5-inch Studio Monitors (pair) - never had monitors, was waiting for a substantial sale.
  • Gator Frameworks GFW-SPK-SM50 Studio Monitor Stands - stands for the monitors as my desk is not set up for that kind of thing. Plus they came with isolation pads as the "Black Friday" promo.
  • PreSonus PM-2 Small-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Matched Pair - stereo micing for piano, accordion, and flute here I come lol.
  • Mutec FMC-07 2GB Flash Board for Yamaha Motif XF - I really should have done this years ago, but $599 for a 2GB flash board was more than I could justify. They've come down a little to $379 these days.
  • GospelMusicians All AcousticsampleS Pianos for Yamaha Motif XF - wanted a variety of other piano options, and particularly the B-Piano upright as many of my gigs have a lot of ragtime played.
  • IK Multimedia iKlip3 iPad holder - stage and filming usage both.
  • IK Multimedia iKlip Xpand Mini phone holder - good to have for filming.

On the software side:

• Native Instruments Kontakt 6 - tired of all kinds of free or cheap libraries that need this to run. Plus I got a Felt Piano freebie from Sonuscore that needed it lol.
  • XLN Addictive Drums 2 Custom (not a fan of the standard AD2 selection kits for my use) - love the realism.
    United Pop, United Heavy, Fairfax Vol. 1
    Brazilian Pandeiro, Mandinka Djembe, DW Collector's Bass Drum,
    Heavy Beats & Songs, Percussion Beats, Modern Jazz Grooves
  • Exponential Audio PhoenixVerb
  • 8DIO 1985 Passionate Piano - I needed a VI piano of some kind and this one sounded nice and was cheapish ($66.60 thanks to a sale).
  • Embertone Blakus Cello - looks good for live use too possibly.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

H9 Max owners can use the algorithm-sharing function to share algorithms with up to 3 H9 Core units, if memory serves. So basically for the price of one H9 Max and 3 H9 Cores, you could potentially have 4 H9 Max's. I dunno if I'd buy 3 Cores but I'd like to add at least one Core to share with my H9 Max.
I ordered a Core to add to my current H9 Core, and will do a 2:1 Max Out. Though most of the algorithms are single effects, there are now several multi-effect algorithms. Add in the free software package and it is a great deal.