Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stale Storlokken live-how to get this Hammond sound?

Was going to post this in the What Are You Listening to Right Now thread, but also had a question. The Hammond sound on Stale Storlokken's solo at 34:30 is one of the tones I've always been after, that crunchy, percussive yet smooth distorted Hammond. So, asking the Hammond experts around here, How do you think he's getting it? Adding some kind of gain/distortion effect before the Leslie? And how would I go about getting a tone like that on an original Crumar Mojo? The built-in distortion is much more subtle, but when it goes into crunch, it's not as smooth as this. I mostly use the intenal Leslie sim, but I do have a Ventilator as well, so if I need to add another pedal before the Leslie, I could.

It's a pretty great concert too, I'm a huge fan of Terje Rypdal, he is one of my favorite guitarists on the planet, along with David Torn, Robert Fripp, and John Abercrombie.

[video:youtube]

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The video in the original post will not play for me. I'm guessing it may be this one.

[video:youtube]

It looks and sounds like he is playing a Hammond A100 (same engine as a B3 or C3) through a Leslie 122, with upper drawbars on 888 0000 000 (percussion on, soft, fast, third), lower drawbars on 868 6000 000, and chorus vibrato on C3. He is mostly playing fairly legato lines on the lower manual, with occasional percussive stabs and doubling on the upper manual.

The tone sounds like the natural tube overdrive of a Hammond preamp + Leslie power amp. The overdrive effect on most clonewheels is not quite as smooth, a bit more fizzy. I run my clonewheels first through a Lounsberry Tall & Fat pedal, which I dial down for a touch of grease on jazz, or dial up for more growl on blues and rock, then through a Ventilator with a little of its own overdrive, which so far is the closest I have got to the classic tonewheel Hammond + tube Leslie sound. The only way to get a bit closer might be to use something like the (no longer available) Speakeasy 122 AMA, utilizing actual overdriven power (not preamp) tubes.

If you want to use an external overdrive effect with an internal Leslie simulator, the overdrive should be inserted before the Leslie (otherwise, the overdrive effect will pulsate in time with the rotary effect). My MAG and Viscount Legend organs both have an effects loop that enables this.

---

You mentioned John Abercrombie: I really like his 1975 album "Timeless", especially the classic title track and Jan Hammer's great Hammond sound and playing on tracks 1, 3 and 4.

https://ecmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/timeless-1

Paul, thanks for the response! Sorry about screwing up the BBCode, glad you found the right concert. And thanks so much for the detailed info on the sound, I"ll look into to Tall & Fat.

And, yeah, Timeless is a stone classic album, one of my faves. Love hearing Hammer play organ, and DeJohnette is one of those players that elevate every record he"s on.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

+1 to everything Paul said. Power tube, not preamp tube overdrive. I can get this tone from my Mojo->AMA->Vent.

Very nice solo BTW.

You might like Storlokken"s band Elephant9, very cool modern psychedelic prog trio, with lots of Hammond.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper