Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Toto and Roseanna

JohnH

I just read on another forum these iconic keyboard solos are now given to the sax player Warren Ham. I"m all for seeing the new lineup do well, but I can"t see Luke turning his Hold The Line solo into a keyboard or sax solo. Ridiculous. ( This was a review of Saturday"s streaming show. )And Paich is the musical director... yet he allowed this.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by Paich being musical director? Haven't seen than info myself.

I've also seen the stream, but I think they can do whatever they want with their own music at this point.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I think it's cool they are changing things up if I want to hear the original I'll put the album on. Time moves on things need to change to stay fresh. Ever talk to guys in big name bands with early hits the get so sick of play their old stuff and playing it the same. Plus if you listen to off the board mixes from concerts of those people doing the old songs they sound lifeless. So Toto change whatever you want to keep the tunes interesting and full of life.

What do you mean by Paich being musical director? Haven't seen than info myself.

I've also seen the stream, but I think they can do whatever they want with their own music at this point.

+1

If I was still playing something I recorded 38 years ago, I'd probably throw the sax player a bone too.

Didn't Steve Porcaro's solo sort of trade off with the horn section anyway? Seems like the solo would sound pretty good if entirely played by a horn.

Were any of Luke's solo's actually replaced by a horn or keyboard, or was this just speculation? I doubt the guitar player who leads the band is going to give up any of his solos to another instrument.

I just read on another forum these iconic keyboard solos are now given to the sax player Warren Ham. I"m all for seeing the new lineup do well, but I can"t see Luke turning his Hold The Line solo into a keyboard or sax solo. Ridiculous. ( This was a review of Saturday"s streaming show. )And Paich is the musical director... yet he allowed this.

Are you talking about violations that deviate from previous tour baselines or just arbitrary deviations that need to be corrected?

I do know that Tom Scott, James Pankow, and Jerry Hey were credited for horn performance and arrangements on the recording.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

And Warren Ham also sings the verses solo in Home of the Brave, and kills it IMO.

Life is subtractive.

Some clarification: he didn't play the solo, but an improv solo over that part.

Life is subtractive.

Reminds me of seeing Steely Dan a few years ago and Fagan played the synth solo to Home at Last on a Melodica. It was fugly. But hey - totally his prerogative. Ive heard them cover it with a trumpet on the other hand, and that totally worked.