Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Swing

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh FFS. Save $20 and trade in Arturia build quality for Behringer build quality? Oh yeah, sign me up. Hurr durr.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Oh FFS. Save $20 and trade in Arturia build quality for Behringer build quality? Oh yeah, sign me up. Hurr durr.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some companies are allowed to redeem themselves, Peavey comes to mind.

Some will never be forgiven for continuous fail - Hello Behringer.

Last time I bought something made by Behringer was the last time.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

When did Peavey redeem themselves?

Peavey's worst period was early on, they had problems with reliability that almost put them out of business. It still affects resale value, a poor reputation lingers long after the cause is mended.

Hartley survived that and became obsessed with making sure his products were reliable.

I know they are not particularly focused on keyboards and their keyboard amps are stupid heavy but I've played lots of gigs with Peavey gear and the keyboardist for the Motown tribute band I was in used Peavey keyboard amps, they sounded fine. Not amazing but not priced amazing either - as always we get what we pay for.

At a gig, not working is a major deal breaker.

To add to that, as a guitarist I hugely appreciate the all analog TransTube circuit that Peavey has been refining since the mid-90's. If you understand how to dial it in you can get as close to tube tones as any guitarist would ever need.

Resale value is low, I paid $80 for a Red Stripe Studio Pro 112 and a guitar and sold the guitar for $65. I gigged the hell out of that $15 amp and sold it for $80. I got compliments on my tone, including from a friend who is quite a guitarist himself.

Gotta love gear that leaves you a solid margin for making money, never needs new tubes and sounds good enough to be fun to play!!!

I'd add that due to poor builds & early discarding of dead units, Uli has a much larger carbon footprint than most. Fail.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I thought this thread was going to be about the Behringer Swing. :idk:

It is.

All I said was that some companies blow it forever - Behringer - and some recover and move forward - Peavey for one.

I'm perfectly happy to leave it at that but find it difficult to ignore some comments.

I agree with David Emm, the carbon footprint of building cheaply made copies of other's designs is not environmentally sound and beside that it sucks.

I'm on a budget, have managed to slowly put a home recording studio together. There is no Behringer gear here, I like stuff that doesn't break and isn't noisy.

Arturia says. 'Seriously?'

"Hello everyone,

We have been informed on Sunday November the 22nd of the upcoming release of a new product called Swing, by Behringer.

This product is in no way the result of a partnership between Arturia and Behringer.

We have worked hard to create the _Step range. We have invested time and money to imagine, specify, develop, test and market the KeyStep. Along our distributors we have been evangelizing this product, placing it in stores, explaining it, servicing it.

Of course we accept competition, and would absolutely understand that Berhinger give their own interpretation of a small and smart controller that would also be a sequencer. Others do, we have no problem with that and see good for the customer, as well as for the industry, in fair competition.

But this is not fair competition here.

Coco Chanel once said: 'If you want to be original, be ready to be copied'. So we could in a way consider the Swing as a compliment.

We could.

In any case, thank you, everyone who came out and supported us these past 36 hours! It's been very helpful, very much appreciated.

Frédéric Brun

Co-founder and CEO, Arturia"

1573.thumb.jpg.c01608c1a6bb4896cdd3743140a2b441.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 6 months later...

Assuming that Behringer's product rollout goes the way the Model D and 2600 rollouts have gone, I don't think anyone will need to get excited--either pro or con--for another year or two...or three...or four...

After all, Behringer released photos showing 2600s on pallets, supposedly ready to ship, well over a year ago. It's still not available for purchase, as far as I know; not even a trickle. At least Sweetwater didn't have any the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the boxes were empty and the photos were staged in order to drum up interest.

It's easy to blame Covid. After all, everybody else is doing so, right? But there's also the fact that Behringer touts their highly automated assembly process, so unless their robots missed getting vaccinated, there's some other hitch in the getalong. Given their propensity for pre-announcing products before they're even off the drawing board, it's probably safe to say that it'll be a while before everyone can trot out their cliched arguments about the man, the company, and the product in question.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

After all, Behringer released photos showing 2600s on pallets, supposedly ready to ship, well over a year ago. It's still not available for purchase, as far as I know; not even a trickle. At least Sweetwater didn't have any the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the boxes were empty and the photos were staged in order to drum up interest.

Grey

But there are no problems getting them in Europe - been available for months. Is there a supply issue in the US?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-2600-analog-synth

I have been buying Behringer stuff for some years but I can't condone the Swing. At least most of the analogue synths they make have been out of production for years. As for reliability I have never had a problem with my Behringer synths (2-3 years old now) or the UMC 1820. Which is more than I can say for my Prophet 8 (faulty main board), Moog Sub 37 (faulty waveform selector switch and several buttons - not to mention the awful keybed that they will replace if I give them £150!), Prophet 6 (faulty main board), Hammond XK1 (dry joints), Roland VR09B (faulty drawbar 1'), Korg SV-1 keybed (I had to replace the contact strips) - I'll leave it there...

Supply issue? Um, yeah...there are none to be had. I had seen where people had gotten theirs in Europe, but for whatever reason they're not available here.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Supply issue? Um, yeah...there are none to be had. I had seen where people had gotten theirs in Europe, but for whatever reason they're not available here.

They may technically not be "available here", but they're not hard to get from "there." I'm in New York State. For $68 I can have one shipped to me in four days, from Thomann:

b2600.jpg

You might have to pay import duty and/or tax on it... or maybe not? Still, if you're in the USA and you really want one now, you can get one now.

It's not necessarily all that surprising that the 2600 is suffering from unequal distribution--after all, the D's distribution was pretty uneven for a while--but this has been going on for, what, a year or more? You'd think they'd have the supply chain worked out by now.

I had considered ordering one from Europe back sometime last year when I first discovered that they were available there. The problem was that I wasn't able to convince myself it was worth an extra 20-30% to order a 2600 from overseas, what with shipping and taxes and fees and whatnot. Silly me, I thought they'd be available here in the States in a reasonable period of time. That supposition was proven wrong, obviously. At the moment I'm having trouble finding sufficient time to play the stuff I've got, so I'm not desperate to get a 2600 that will just sit, waiting, for me to get to it. Hopefully they'll show up over here at some point and I won't have to pay extra for the privilege of owing one. What's the point of buying a cheap piece of gear if you have to add on a bunch of surcharges to get the thing?

Grey