Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mark VII Rhodes From Neo-Soul

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big yes from me - Neo Soul (for me) have come closest to my 73 Stage Flat-top with Dyno I had back in the day. And I have tried pretty much all of the available PC and iOS EP sims...of course ymmv and the next comment will probably bag it hahaha!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I've just downloaded the Mark 7 and played around. I think it's the best yet. Improved dynamics and smoother response all over the keyboard. So far, the preset I've tweaked to my liking is "Herb's Rhodes." Remove the effects and season to taste.

There is a faint hiss. I've been able to temper that by modifying vol/gain/filters/fx, but generally, noise seems to be inherent in a lot of NeoSoulKeys 2 core sounds. The hiss is mostly heard through headphones â I doubt this would be a huge problem through amplification in a live setting.

EDIT â the compressor is the main culprit behind the hiss. Dial that down ;)

Here for the gear.

I've just downloaded the Mark 7 and played around. I think it's the best yet. Improved dynamics and smoother response all over the keyboard. So far, the preset I've tweaked to my liking is "Herb's Rhodes." Remove the effects and season to taste.

There is a faint hiss. I've been able to temper that by modifying vol/gain/filters/fx, but generally, noise seems to be inherent in a lot of NeoSoulKeys 2 core sounds. The hiss is mostly heard through headphones â I doubt this would be a huge problem through amplification in a live setting.

EDIT â the compressor is the main culprit behind the hiss. Dial that down ;)

Yes, I'm in agreement with you. The Herbie patch is the one I've been tinkering with the most. I've just basically turned off all the effects & then tried each one by itself to see how it contributes or if it's just as well leaving it off entirely. I did change the delay type to type 1 since that's closest to the old Echoplex sound.

I like the basic tone of the Mark VII the best of all of them so far too. Some of the others were just a little too throaty.

• 3 weeks later...

For all the wonders of MidiLicious I still find their overall interface designs about as clear & clunky as mud. It"s been awhile now, but IIRC once you open the app, tap the preset bar and see the MK VII option on the menu.

Just noticed both NeoSoul Keys Studio & Studio 2 for iOS have dropped in price.

Here for the gear.

Thanks, drawback, I don't think I ever would have found it!

Yes, the app and its add-ons have dropped for Black Friday sales.

As it happens, though, I listened to the MK VII soundcloud demo, and it doesn't appeal to me at all. But different strokes...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As it happens, though, I listened to the MK VII soundcloud demo, and it doesn't appeal to me at all. But different strokes...

Understandable, but in the playing I find it has more dynamics and tonal range than the others. I'm only assuming the MK VII piano itself, being much later in development, may have had those characteristics. The engine is infinitely tweakable too. Careful editing in the Control pane is key.

With Black Friday approaching, do you prefere NeoSoul or Canterbury for Rhodes with a lot of character? I was thinking about upgrading in ep department for some time :-)

I have both of these, but my version of Neo Soul is for iOS, while Canterbury is for MacOS. Canterbury is more sophisticated and beautiful IMO but hopefully someone with NKSS2 for MacOS has an opinion. I must say that I had tuning difficulties with Canterbury but then I realized it was because it was set to Stretch (perhaps as a default, I don't recall). It really feels wonderful to play.

Here for the gear.

Okay, got Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 for a tenner.

Instead of $25.

Universal now.

Includes 22GB of sounds (compressed to 9GB) which you can load into your iPhone or iPad or put on an SSD. Also includes Overloud"s VKFX (iFX)

I bought the first version, then the Studio version, then the full iFX, and now Studio 2.

It"s that good. Really.

The MkVII is an add on, right? Based on the last Rhodes they tried to get going? Is the actual instrument still available for sale? I remember a bunch of hoopla that the demo they were showing at NAMM was a vintage Rhodes in the new body before they had done a production run.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

In the IOS version go to settings then Download and scroll to the bottom of the page. You"ll see the option to select info or buy. Not sure if it is the same with Mac OS.

Yeah, my mistake. I never got Studio 2, that 's the problem.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.