Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Junkie XL's Synths... All for Sale!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say part covid and part being main a media composer now he doesn't need all that gear anymore. Junkie XL was probably only electronic artist I owned an album by. I started following him a couple years ago when I was once again dreaming of doing some media composing even if only for the challenge. I think he said that he has three studios in US and Europe that have same collections of gear. The film industry has shrunk during covid so I can understand him wanting to downsize.

from the article :

"I"ve always been a bit of a gearhead, as many of you know,' Tom says. 'Throughout my career I"ve amassed an amazing collection of instruments that I love and have cherished, but I simply can"t use them all anymore! I"ve made some amazing music with these items, they are instruments that deserve to be played, rather than used a couple of times a year. I want to get this gear in the hands of creators who can use it every day." Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL

:nopity:

from the article :

"I"ve always been a bit of a gearhead, as many of you know,' Tom says. 'Throughout my career I"ve amassed an amazing collection of instruments that I love and have cherished, but I simply can"t use them all anymore! I"ve made some amazing music with these items, they are instruments that deserve to be played, rather than used a couple of times a year. I want to get this gear in the hands of creators who can use it every day." Tom Holkenborg, aka Junkie XL

There is a point at which less is more especially with the newer technology available. Good for him. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah - one keyboard that's not for sale is the controller in front of his monitors. Not surprising - vintage hardware is a very inefficient way of getting things done, and I imagine he's still one busy dude. Proceeds go to charity... good for him. :)

The Waveterm is a near-museum piece now. I lump that in with the Nord Modular (lovely sound) and the Fairlight screen as a trio of Most Maddening GUIs Of All Time, So Far. I'm sure someone would love to play it, or at least try, but it has age against it to a higher degree than usual. I think its fairly safe to assume that a serious buyer will know the pluses and minuses. I appreciate his desire to know that the gear is being played. Good attitude, including donating the sales to charity.

I wanna be the papal nuncio of Las Vegas.
I won't burn long, but I'll burn hot.

He has also said that almost his entire collection of analogs was purchased for low hundreds of dollars each during the late 80s when everyone dumped them. He has also mentioned having a warehouse in Europe with even more. I'm sure that at present rates, and given that his instruments are all maintained and playable, and now have provenance, they will be worth a lot more than he paid for them. He's been sampling them for 20-30 years also. I'm sure he has so many sounds from most of them that he's beyond set if he wants a flavor from one. But given that movies are all about new sounds, it is probably going to result in a load of new things that he's never owned before.

Some portion of that gear will likely go to other media composers. A LOT of them snipe EBAY and Reverb every day. I'm sure some will go to collections. But he's not the only composer wanting or even needing those kind of sounds. There's a good 1,000 people world-wide making significant professional income from composing. Any of them can afford this stuff and would use it.