Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jim A goes deep on the new Prophet 5!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"d love a P10, but they"re $7000 here in Australia. That"s a huge investment for a full time player, even though that"s cheap in historical terms.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Is there a way to be notified about new (keyboard) threads in the GearLab forum? I check in regularly here in the Keyboard Corner but often forget to monitor the GearLab. I appreciate these cross-posts to alert me to keyboard content in the GearLab. At the risk of sounding lazy, I'm wondering if I'm overlooking some sort of automation to alert me about new GearLab content. Thanks.

I"d love a P10, but they"re $7000 here in Australia. That"s a huge investment for a full time player, even though that"s cheap in historical terms.

And the P5 is $6000 so ill never be able to afford revisiting another one. It is very difficult in Australia as prices are actually beyond just the exchange rate. To be honest now its gone i dont feel much of a need to relive it so gas is low on a new one. For me usually once one of my collection is gone I can say no looking back but having said that i am so glad to see this new update its a very wonderful reincarnation. This is how i hoped it come as a revision so its actually a carryon line. I do look forward also to dave continually releasing modern synths that are not meaning to be retro.

But Dazz is right its a hard one in Aussie affordability of any high end gear is difficult.

Coincidently I sold off my version 3 (which had a rich Aussie rock back history). I let it go very reasonably priced to a great guy earlier this year with some other analogues because we had to live off the money) this was before any word of a replacement in the air. Otherwise i was going to service/restore it as a retirement project In fact he put a deposit on it last year and I let him pay it off over 6 months thats how much i wanted him to get it as hes ending up with a lot of my collection so like to make it easier for him. i like my collections to stay in one persons hands if possible ..its a new custodian thing rather than a give me money thing with the rare synths. The history of my stuff mattered to him not its rock history but its custodian history. And thats also important to pass on. He is the next custodian.

Talking of new custodians any Aussies with an original P5 version 3 whos chasing a rare P5 remote sling- on keyboard (keytar) in lovely condition i have my original one from my P5 id let go to someone who respects its history. Very rare in aussie too. Im not selling but as a swap to right person. Often overlooked because its not flashy but to be honest with all the wood its very classy and i respect Dave designing it the way it is as it matches a P5 perfectly like a slender P5 without knobs. Its my favourite of sling ons as its an individual amoung keytars but of course i cant use it without a P5 as its not midi but uses the P5 sequencer input. Im presently keeping it as part of my Keytar collection but if a P5 lover wanted it locally id swap something to see it go to a collector / lover / custodian. The new owner of my P5 was honest saying it doesnt fit his thoughts as hes a synth collector not a sling on collector and he believes it should go to the right person too. This is not an advert just want right person to respect this bit of history so hence swapping. To admin if this is considered an advert that I shouldnt have here then i will remove this so just tell me. Im looking for a custodian for swap rather than offloading it. Not into posting overseas especially as this should stay here as part of australias synth related history as we dont have heaps to choose from.

Nice review, as I suspected. A friend of mine recently brought home the P12 limited run in arctic white. It"s quite impressive in sound and appearance. I"ll pick up a DS/Sequential at some point. I liked the P6. The Rev2 - I"m not sure I like as well. The OB6 has a unique sound to it too.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Is there a way to be notified about new (keyboard) threads in the GearLab forum?

Yeah I concur what morrissey is saying. I just signed up to get notifications on that thread.

I know we should be diligent in checking but habit is to come to this forum although i must admit that in these covid times i have been looking on more of the forums as im too up to date quickly on this forum. So im looking for more to read

Anyway if some link is possible without you dave having to baby us that be great??????

Is there a way to be notified about new (keyboard) threads in the GearLab forum? I check in regularly here in the Keyboard Corner but often forget to monitor the GearLab. I appreciate these cross-posts to alert me to keyboard content in the GearLab. At the risk of sounding lazy, I'm wondering if I'm overlooking some sort of automation to alert me about new GearLab content. Thanks.

If you click on the hyperlink above the banner at the top on the page entitled "forums", you will then see everything that MPN has to offer.

:nopity:

Yep agree totally...even the new Dexibel pianos are up over $5k!!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Yep agree totally...even the new Dexibel pianos are up over $5k!!

Yep everything is over the top here in Aussie due to importers taking big wedges out And manufacturers slugging us because we are simply noise and small bananas. In theory anything coming from asia should be on equal price to US prices then taking into account international money conversion as the deliver distance is closer so shipping should not be any of the reason to be expensive.

Id presently would like a yamaha YC61 as i could use in the band and justify some use out of it for my money but it so expensive here that the local store that has one has it up on the wall where you cant even touch it like a dinosaur skeleton hanging in a natural history museum. I dont dare ask to try it as i cant buy one presently and i dont like to create a precedence or anticipation after they pull it down and plug it in. I only know i want it from whats on the internet. I think its good But i value it as around $1000.AUD less thats how much i think its above its value. And that brings to US prices. Thats the value i see.

We really are the arse end of the commercial world (like many other countries who are not in europe or the US. Asia is our closest neighbor so shipping costs should be less or not be the problem but still hi end asian made products are more expensive than when selling in Europe or US taking into account exchange rates. This is to do with a small market and we are just annoying mosquitos to the big companies i guess...make us pay for the trouble i guess.

This is to do with a small market and we are just annoying mosquitos to the big companies i guess...make us pay for the trouble i guess.

Nowhere is this more frustratingly evident than when purchasing software. It's delivered via download therefore zero extra distribution costs but we still manage to get gouged somehow. My assumption is it's simply a case of "the market will bear it" so we get slugged.

Between that and having to avoid shark/spider/snake/jellyfish/crocodile/drop bear attack every day it's enough to make you fair dinkum spew!

Yeah the price gouge is a real problem. I was seriously interested in the P5 but it was 3K above the Summit I ended up getting instead. Great review Jim :thu:

This is to do with a small market and we are just annoying mosquitos to the big companies i guess...make us pay for the trouble i guess.

Nowhere is this more frustratingly evident than when purchasing software. It's delivered via download therefore zero extra distribution costs but we still manage to get gouged somehow. My assumption is it's simply a case of "the market will bear it" so we get slugged.

Between that and having to avoid shark/spider/snake/jellyfish/crocodile/drop bear attack every day it's enough to make you fair dinkum spew!

.hee hee bloody oath

I didn't know about software costs as i never buy any but thats just downright wrong.

Exactly its what the market will bare and to be honest i cant bare it so i would rather await second hand gear if i can find it. Its the importers and local brand headquaters of the big ones who are keeping costs up because we continue to pay them.

To hell with them I say.

Yep everything is over the top here in Aussie due to importers taking big wedges out

Not quite.

I'm the Australian distributor/dealer for Viscount Legend organs, so I can see both sides of it.

Once I battle with exchange rates, shipping costs, import duties, customs duties GST etc, the local price for Legend organ does look like I'm price gouging. But I'm definitely not.

I also have to factor in the potential costs of two years parts and labour warranty support - these are my financial responsibility.

I try to make a modest profit but certain european websites can undercut me every time - they have economies of scale esp with shipping rates.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Yep everything is over the top here in Aussie due to importers taking big wedges out

Not quite.

I'm the Australian distributor/dealer for Viscount Legend organs, so I can see both sides of it.

Once I battle with exchange rates, shipping costs, import duties, customs duties GST etc, the local price for Legend organ does look like I'm price gouging. But I'm definitely not.

I also have to factor in the potential costs of two years parts and labour warranty support - these are my financial responsibility.

I try to make a modest profit but certain european websites can undercut me every time - they have economies of scale esp with shipping rates.

Well call me a wombat and my face is as red as a dead dingos donger (just playing up to my name for the yanks hee hee) but thanks for disclosing and giving us insight. Its good to hear from industry types on here to set us straight.

Well that then means the manufacturers are not being fair to their direct customers the importers and suppliers because if they can give the big commercial buyers in europe huge discounts but cut out the little commercial buyers in Australia like yourself then they are slitting their own throats in these lessor markets but I guess they don't care as we are just noise to them. Noise I tell you.

As a young muso i was buying new keyboards and gear constantly as well as used. But we didnt know back then what they sold for overseas we just accepted that price. Ignorance is bliss. It wasnt till i finally got on the internet when i realised we are so expensive here that I stopped buying a lot of new stuff. I basically got the shites towards the instrument companies not treating us on an equal playing field. I probably am not the only one too.

I feel disturbed for the small importers as yourself then but what about the korg Australia, the roland Australia, the casio Australia, the Yamaha Australia they also then keep the prices high yet they do have the economies globally on their side. They can if they wanted give fairer prices as most of their stuff is shipped from asia so theres no high importing costs. Anyway my days of buying new too often are over anyway i guess.

Its not just the price discrepency thats shitty its the whole treating all the little countries so differently to Europe and US ...its ..m.its well its its....the vibe

Yeah thats it its the vibe........

Oh ps i dragged out my Viscount Oberheim MC2000ex for my wife to use a few weeks ago ...so go Viscount

Not quite.

Great point Darren - my point on gouging is as much about the exchange rate etc, which to some extent is unavoidable and definitely can't blame people needing to hedge against that.

Dazz and you are copping it too when you want to buy yourself. You are finding it hard to justify buying it and you have insider knowledge on how the industry works so are not blind to the overheads like us plebs. But you hesitate on hitting the trigger.

The P10 is from US so admitedly shipping is an issue of extra cost here same as your viscount product so at least both products do have that excuse along with money conversion. Also i figure its a small importer so they are hamstrung like yourself. But most Japanese companies in theory would have cheaper shipping costs from asia direct to here. But they arent passing on savings as i see it. The aussie will pay it so be it.

I accept to pay a reasonable price for something not a lowball price but lets face it we are paying Pavlova price but they are holding back with the fruit and cream.

Just be fair big instrument guys in japan. Charge us the same price you charge overseas but just add on the international money difference. Dont tell us you have extra overheads like a big office for Roland Australia or a warehouse for Yamaha Australia because lets face it those costs still exist in US or europe and are part of doing business keep them smaller with no hanger ons. Its the cost of doing business worldwide.

Struth i honestly didnt know i was so passionate about this...well i wasnt till this thread got me going.

Picking his nose...but maybe Im not?????.

She'll be right mate.