Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do Any Songs Bring You to Tears?

"Not Like This" by Al Jarreau. Gosh that's a sad song.

I was brought to tears the very first time I heard "Neither One Of Us" by Gladys Knight. They way she sings it just breaks your heart.

"Ruby's Arms" by Tom Waits.

A few Broadway musicals hit me like that as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Frisell â Throughout. The version with Petra Haden was played at a friend's funeral (a drummer who passed away not long after having studied with Bill). The live trio version starts with him saying to a festival audience, "I can't see you, but I can hear you and I can feel you." I recorded an arrangement on my first album but I can't listen to or play this tune without breaking down in tears.

[video:youtube]

Tom Waits â No One Knows I'm Gone

I saw Afro-Brazilian vocalist Luedji Luna live in December, and it wasn't any single particular song that got to me. Her presence and her energy is so powerful, and the fact that I am in the privileged position of having mutual friends with her is beyond anything I could have imagined when I started diving into Brazilian music 15 years ago.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Twenty years ago I went through a bad marriage/divorce and songs like these have more meaning. And I'm not normally an emotional person.

This song is ALWAYS is a tear jerker, but this version left me bawling. Even the chord changes hurt.

The first time I heard this song, I had to pull off the road and stop. It was a hell of a release from my anguish over my divorce. It still jerks a tear.

The soundtrack to "Les Miserables". Even more so when my son sings it (he was Jean Valjean last year in a school production, and really nailed it.) Some of it is the story, and some of it is the music, some of it is pride in him. But it's a strong one for me. (Ok, maybe "Master of the House" only brings me to tears of laughter.)

This song by Fish (not Phish), about dealing with a parent and dementia. Oof. Having dealt with that with my mom, it hits home.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

• 2 months later...

There is a handful of songs that make me break down every time.

This one:

Iris DeMent has a way of just hitting hard with gentle lyrics:

Eric Bogle's "The Green Fields of France" summarizes the madness of Man with heartbreaking lyricism:

As the years go on, this Springsteen tune makes me remember, and cry:

C.

Carpenters - "Goodbye To Love", "Close To You"

ELO - Coda to "Mr. Blue Sky"; intro to "It's Over", intro/outro to "Big Wheels"; intro to "Strange Magic"; intro to "Believe Me Now", (r.i.p. Louis Clark);

Albinoni - "Adagio in Gm" (Neville Marriner/Academy of St. Martin in the Fields version)

Toto- solo section+Lukather's solo on "I Won't Hold You Back Now".

Pink Floyd - "Great Gig in the Sky"

Bach - "Air on a G String" - Royal Philharmonic version

k.d. lang - "Save Me"

Vangelis - "Memories of Green"

Eric Carmen - "All By Myself"

Debussy - "Reverie"

Queen - "Who Wants to Live Forever"

Clannad - "In a Lifetime"

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien