Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Bruce Swedien

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be missed, and not just because of the music he helped bring into the world. I met Bruce in Mexico City, where we were both doing seminars. I just assumed he would be an "I'm Bruce Swedien, don't bother me" person but he was the exact opposite. He spent a lot of time with the people, was totally accessible, signed a lot of autographs, and used his big personality to project his love of music and engineering. I kept in touch sporadically over the years and found that wasn't just a one-off...it's who he was, always willing to mentor and share what he knew.

I recall Bruce being interviewed for Keyboard's Michael Jackson cover article, after his passing. He spoke of Michael's superior preparedness, one-take abilities, open-mindedness when offered suggestions and appreciation of others. "That stuff you read in the papers? Yeah, I never met that guy."

That kind of response is a good indicator of the man's class. :thu:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I was lucky enough to work with Bruce during the '90s. He was a consummate professional and a good guy.

I have a fond memory of eating lunch with him when I went to New York to work on 'Stranger in Moscow.' He told me stories about when he first started out during the big band era.

RIP, Bruce. You'll be greatly missed.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Cross posting from KB corner:

What a colossal loss. Didn't know he was that old, but I guess it makes sense. Philingaines said of him on a recent podcast that Bruce made the music sound 'three dimensional'. What an apt description.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

As an aside I just went back to read some of those 2004 posts and I'm shocked at the different tone the forum had back then. Certainly grateful for the evolution and diligent moderation for setting a more civil tone.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native