Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best mixer for around $200?

I'm getting a new synth this Christmas, and it would make sense to get a mixer to add to my modest keyboard rig. I'm looking for affordable options in the $200 range that have a minimum of 8 channels, some mic preamps are a plus for flexibility. What are the preferred brands and models you guys use? I don't know a whole lot about mixers.

So far my top two choices are:

Yamaha MG10 10-channel analog mixer

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG10c--yamaha-mg10-10-channel-mixer

Mackie 802VLZ4 8-channel analog mixer

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/802VLZ4--mackie-802vlz4-8-channel-mixer

Are there any major pros or cons to either of them that I should know?

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of observations:

Mixers can color your sound.

They're not supposed to - they're all supposed to be transparent and it's just a question of channel count, right? Not so true in the real world. Many inexpensive mixers have a "sound". The more spendy purchases sound better than a lot of cheaper ones. An exception - my lowly old Yamaha MG10/2, many decades old, is very clean and not-so-colored. There are a few mixers (my AH Zed10fx, for example) that you would not guess how colored it sounds - until you have the spare time and take the time to A/B them. The same is true with direct boxes, by the way (another topic, I've mentioned that many times on the forum over the years), which you just don't know until you a/b in a controlled environment. If I had the time, money and didn't mind doing the return shipping thing, I'd buy both the Yammie and the Mackie, try each in your environment, and pick the one that sounds best.

Features matter

"Not today, not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life." Okay, maybe not like Casablanca. But over the years I've ended up having all sorts of odd occasions where I need to have some weird routing in a one-off gig. So many times, I've found the feature I didn't think I'd ever use, someday I'll end up using it, if it's there. The Yammie has more mic pres. The Mackie has a couple of routing features the Yammie doesn't. Things to consider.

Cons are the external power supply on each.

It may not matter to you, but I hate them for many reasons, the least of which is that you should really have a back up one if you go with one of these and you're gigging. I've stepped on mine when I had them a few times, and broke one once at a gig. It's the trade-off for mixers in this price range. I decided many years ago to eliminate them in my rig, but again, YMMV. You do have to step up price-wise if you want to avoid though....

Alto Live 802. Sits right at $200; feature rich, fairly quiet. Would recommend.

8 channel

5 mic inputs

"gain" on all channels, including non mic

internal power supply

XLR and 1/4" TS/TRS outputs

Alesis effects

Mono/Stereo monitor out

3 band channel EQ

8 band global EQ (separate from channel EQ)

link

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yamaha MG10 is my vote, as I use one with my keyboard setup. I actually use the XU version with FX and USB.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Both the Yamaha and Mackie models are fine (I own both).

If I was in the market for another such device, the new Behringer would be interesting (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3069517/behringer-flow8-digital-mixer#Post3069517) as it does full DAW recording of each channel.

For a bit more $$$ and without mic preamps, the Radial Key Largo is a great bit of kit for a keyboard rig. Lots of flexibility, and noticeably cleaner sound than the other choices.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Wow, I was hoping for maybe a couple replies, but you guys have all given me a bunch of great info and feedback. Thanks for sharing all the insights and ownership experiences!

Yamaha MG10 is my vote, as I use one with my keyboard setup. I actually use the XU version with FX and USB.

Do you find the effects and usb are worth the extra $40? Some reviews said that the usb falls short of being a useful recording interface.

I do have a basic USB interface, and I intend to upgrade it eventually. So neither USB connection or effects are a must-have, but if those are really well executed features on the MG10XU, then I would certainly consider it over the MG10.

Do you find the effects and usb are worth the extra $40? Some reviews said that the usb falls short of being a useful recording interface.

Since I also play solo accordion gigs, the reverb is nice to have. It's nice if you aren't using reverb already for something. The USB interface can go up to 192kHz interestingly enough. It is useful, but it is two-channel, so it's basically a stereo mix. That said it's the only interface I have that works with iOS, Mac, and PC that also works on Catalina and higher on the Mac side (due to 32-bit incompatibility). So it's the only interface I can use for now, even though I have a nicer audio interface. I will say that its USB level is on the low side, and it's non-adjustable. But it's very hard to clip the output that way (you can clip inputs or the entire mixer [by turning up the effects return to max]). If any of that sounds useful to you, it's worth the $40. If I'm recording I'll just use it one track at a time like a 2-channel audio interface. It's fine.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Oh, oh, I forgot to mention the nicest thing about the USB interface! It has a return, and its drivers have practically zero latency on MacOS/iOS to my ears (it's actually closer to 6-7 ms). If things ever get back to normal, I actually might take it to a band gig with my laptop and try running a Mainstage setup with it as the audio interface. It's super good about latency on MacOS and iOS. Windows is a mixed bag with a lot of other variables involved in my experience.

I have a Yamaha MG12/4fx, some guy on craiglist was giving it away because he lost the power supply and the Yamaha one was $50.

The Chinese copy sold on eBay cost me $14 delivered and works perfectly.

It's a nice, small, cheap mixer. We've used it for gigs many times and it has always been easy to set up and sounds fine.

I will point out that mixers with built in power supplies need substantial shielding and high quality components or you will have more noise and fewer options if and when the power supply overheats.

Yes, you do get what you pay for.

For the money, either of those will do a good job and should more than earn their keep.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Samson SM10 - unsurpassed features for a rackmount IMHO

Much easier to carry and operate a rack mount mixer and no chance of standing on it.

Advantage of this one is dedicated audio channels for vocal.

The SM10 features ten channels with 1/4" stereo line inputs and a balance control for each channel.

Two channels include XLR mic inputs. This allows you to blend the relative levels of stereo inputs to your liking. In addition, each channel includes a switch for +4 dBu or -10 dBV line level input.

For output, the SM10 provides electronically balanced main stereo XLR and 1/4" line outputs.

The SM10 provides versatile signal routing via Main Mix, Mix B, Monitor and EFX bus outputs, as well as low noise and discrete microphone pre-amplifiers with 48-volt phantom power.

Two auxiliary sends can also be used to route signals to external effects, or create a separate mix for on-stage monitors.

The SM10 features front panel headphone and monitor outputs with dedicated level controls. The mix may be audited with the SM10's 6-segment LED meter and a flexible meter/headphone source control.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/mixers/sm-series/sm10/

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Samson SM10 -

Two auxiliary sends can also be used to route signals to external effects, or create a separate mix for on-stage monitors.

Yes,- 1 AUX send POST fader for FX,- the other PRE fader for monitor purposes.

Unfortunately, when in need for 2 post fader aux sends, I don´t see any option to switch pre/post for the MON send.

A.C.

Samson SM10 - unsurpassed features for a rackmount IMHO

Much easier to carry and operate a rack mount mixer and no chance of standing on it.

Advantage of this one is dedicated audio channels for vocal.

The SM10 features ten channels with 1/4" stereo line inputs and a balance control for each channel.

Two channels include XLR mic inputs. This allows you to blend the relative levels of stereo inputs to your liking. In addition, each channel includes a switch for +4 dBu or -10 dBV line level input.

For output, the SM10 provides electronically balanced main stereo XLR and 1/4" line outputs.

The SM10 provides versatile signal routing via Main Mix, Mix B, Monitor and EFX bus outputs, as well as low noise and discrete microphone pre-amplifiers with 48-volt phantom power.

The SM10 features front panel headphone and monitor outputs with dedicated level controls. The mix may be audited with the SM10's 6-segment LED meter and a flexible meter/headphone source control.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/mixers/sm-series/sm10/

I adore mine. When my multichannel interface died and I still needed to be able to livestream my concerts, I put it into service as the main mixer for my keyboard rig, and the sound quality was remarkably good. A hidden gem, to be sure.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music