Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EVH Tribute Shows Why GP is Still Important

Hi all...

I posted the below text on the Guardians of Guitar FB page yesterday. As many of you know, I was a victim of the diminishing fortunes of the print-mag industry and was laid off from my 20+ year gig as Editor in Chief of GP in 2018. I'm also aware that current owner Future UK has been careful regarding investment in the brand, and the current staff continues to be challenged to varying degrees with resources â especially during the zombie apocalypse we are all dealing with. But I was overjoyed that, despite all of the challenges â including a major content shift and a brutally shortened deadline to ensure the EVH story made it to the press in time â the staff pulled off a truly transcendent celebration of Eddie. Sometimes, the "old pros" are precisely the right team to do something of this magnitude. I was so proud that GP delivered such a wonderful issue. I hope all of the groovy Guitar Forum peeps feel the same...

"Disruptions in the mediasphere have not been kind to many "veteran" publications, and certainly Guitar Player Magazine has been compromised â perhaps even embattled â by the travails of an often struggling industry and a culture that appears to devalue print media and deep journalism. BUT THIS IS WHY GUITAR PLAYER IS SO IMPORTANT to the community of guitarists, music lovers, and gear makers. GP's EVH special tribute issue is a comprehensive, scrupulously researched, well written, and adoring celebration of an artist who meant so much to so many, and IT COULD ONLY HAVE BEEN DONE BY GP. No disrespect to any of the other fine guitar publications around the world â and, truth be told, I am a tad biased as a former Editor in Chief â but this issue IS the bible of all things about the guitarist Eddie Van Halen. It is the pinnacle of guitar journalism on the subject of Eddie. And it is a loving tribute penned by players who were in the trenches themselves, intimately know how to approach the subject at hand, and who are truly aware of Eddie's impact on guitar. Bravo to Matt Blackett, Jude Gold, Art Thompson, Jimmy Leslie, Christopher Scapelliti, and everyone else who contributed their heart, words, and insights to this tribute." â MM (via Guardians of Guitar).

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic