Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Copyright Stricken for posting Bach

Recently I was blocked/muted/demonetized on three different social platforms for posting a video of me playing some Bach. I thought it was rather odd considering how long his work has been in the public domain. But maybe I misjudged? Did I do something illegal? If not, has this happened to anyone?

:idk:

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Nice way to grab some views!

Sony using AI to hunt down Glenn Gould uploaders is a bit ridiculous. Particularly when the AI can"t tell the difference between their recording sessions and anyone else who plays those works.

Really nice job here. I spent an evening last week chopping away at my old French Suites book. JS Bach is immortal through his music. Simply tremendous.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Really nice job here. I spent an evening last week chopping away at my old French Suites book. JS Bach is immortal through his music. Simply tremendous.

Thanks, I haven't tried those yet.

Check the link below:

Sony claims they own Bach

so weird. I disputed it naturally. I wonder what will happen.

When it comes to public-domain songs, the issues generally center around specific recordings/performances of them, which are copyrighted. I've gotten copyright claims on YouTube and been blocked three times on Facebook for using an *old* Bulgarian folk tune from the late 19th century that I arranged and performed with a few other musicians myself! A dispute that gets a human to look at it usually works.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Check the link below:

Sony claims they own Bach

No one owns Bach compositions, they are public domain and cannot be copyrighted.

However, compilations and "arranged" versions of Bach compositions can be copyrighted. So can recordings of Bach music. Sony only lays claim to recording copyrights. The article reveals that Sony has dispatched bots to "sniff" audio recordings on the internet for copyright infringement. While the OP's example is a false positive, in today's world of rampant sampling of copyrighted recordings appearing in commercial releases without clearance the major labels have been aggressive is seeking out infringement. Sony is hardly alone.

I have a few videos on YouTube of me playing Bach, including an entire album of Bach music played half with piano, half with synthesizers. No one has bothered me about copyright. Also, that whole album was uploaded to YouTube by someone else, probably one of those infernal AI/automatic mechanisms.

Hmm... I guess it threw me off since I have uploaded four other Bach pieces with no problems. Now that I think it through, two of them were recorded with the room sound of an iPhone so it probably did not trigger the algorithm. The other two were processed with some EQ and reverb thus altering the sound, possibly enough to slip by the algorithm unawares. This time I decided to "go dry". Big mistake.

I have a few videos on YouTube of me playing Bach, including an entire album of Bach music played half with piano, half with synthesizers. No one has bothered me about copyright. Also, that whole album was uploaded to YouTube by someone else, probably one of those infernal AI/automatic mechanisms.

Cool, lucky you! And I'd be interested to see/hear this project.

Recently I was blocked/muted/demonetized on three different social platforms for posting a video of me playing some Bach. I thought it was rather odd considering how long his work has been in the public domain. But maybe I misjudged? Did I do something illegal? If not, has this happened to anyone?

:idk:

Good work!

I get copyright claims even for original music on regular basis. I always dispute the claim. Some of them go away after 30 days automatically, and some get viewed and cleared by someone. My last video received a copyright claim from TuneCore Japan. The composition itself is public domain so the claim was for the actual audio recording. Attached is a screenshot of the claim and copyright release e-mails that I received from them.

I've never actually received a copyright STRIKE but a ton of copyright claims that I've successfully disputed so far.

1563.jpg.08959febe45acd67d7ae8f8dacf10a10.jpg

1564.thumb.jpg.302e89262c3c3ba01e7111e364d0e43b.jpg

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Hmm... I guess it threw me off since I have uploaded four other Bach pieces with no problems. Now that I think it through, two of them were recorded with the room sound of an iPhone so it probably did not trigger the algorithm. The other two were processed with some EQ and reverb thus altering the sound, possibly enough to slip by the algorithm unawares. This time I decided to "go dry". Big mistake.

is the YouTube playlist. It's a 20-year old work, but perhaps still worth a listen.

Note that the nice Google (or whatever) algorithms attributed it to my "Jazz Trio"....

It wasn't me, but I did let Paolo di Nicolantiono AKA "Paolo Synthmania" borrow the copy of the Bach music CD you gave me for a few weeks this past summer. I know him well enough that it wasn't him, but I'll ask him anyway. :)

:nopity:

These copyright claims most are not from people, but copyright robots record companies and similar type have scanning the internet. They scan for melodic lines for song copyright and timbres of from big selling artists for mechanical copyright. People have discovered way to trick the bots but they just keep making the bot smarter.

These copyright claims most are not from people, but copyright robots record companies and similar type have scanning the internet. They scan for melodic lines for song copyright and timbres of from big selling artists for mechanical copyright. People have discovered way to trick the bots but they just keep making the bot smarter.

Yes, the copyright claim thing is a fully automated process, but handling disputes isn't. At least now YouTube has a more reasonable way to handle the revenue from disputes:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7000961?hl=en

is the YouTube playlist. It's a 20-year old work, but perhaps still worth a listen.

Note that the nice Google (or whatever) algorithms attributed it to my "Jazz Trio"....

Thank you, I'm enjoying these recordings a lot!

Good work!

I get copyright claims even for original music on regular basis. I always dispute the claim. Some of them go away after 30 days automatically, and some get viewed and cleared by someone. My last video received a copyright claim from TuneCore Japan. The composition itself is public domain so the claim was for the actual audio recording. Attached is a screenshot of the claim and copyright release e-mails that I received from them.

I've never actually received a copyright STRIKE but a ton of copyright claims that I've successfully disputed so far.

thanks. I wonder how long it takes to process a dispute.

Good work!

thanks. I wonder how long it takes to process a dispute.

30 days (on YouTube).

Once you file a dispute, the claimant has UP to 30 days to respond. Possible scenarios:

1) They don't take an action at all and 30 days later the claim gets dropped automatically.

2) They agree with the dispute and manually drop the claim....any time within that 30 days period.

3) They disagree and then you receive a strike. At that point, even if you were completely in the right (and you are as you're playing 300 years old pieces!), you can't really get much help from YouTube anymore. It's up to you if you want to lawyer up and file a DMCA.

That's my my understanding, but I could be wrong. I've received over 50 claims for 'In The Mix' channel. Sometimes multiple copyright claims for the same video. Only a few disputes (such as the one for The Lark/Glinka) were reviewed by the claimant. The rest went through that 30 days period and expired on their own.

I'm not suprised that digital distribution of content has opened up a whole new can of litigation. I had a feeling this would happen as the sale of physical media declined. It's still a d8mn shame.

The saddest part is that these entities are not filing claims and lawsuits on behalf of the artist and/or their estate. As mentioned, Bach's music has been public domain for several centuries.

These are clearly publishing company money grabs for works to which they might have a copyright but no real artistic or monetary investment.

Chasing down copyright infringement on recordings of Classical music seems like a major exercise in futility. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Once you file a dispute, the claimant has UP to 30 days to respond. Possible scenarios:

1) They don't take an action at all and 30 days later the claim gets dropped automatically.

2) They agree with the dispute and manually drop the claim....any time within that 30 days period.

3) They disagree and then you receive a strike. At that point, even if you were completely in the right (and you are as you're playing 300 years old pieces!), you can't really get much help from YouTube anymore. It's up to you if you want to lawyer up and file a DMCA.

That's my my understanding, but I could be wrong. I've received over 50 claims for 'In The Mix' channel. Sometimes multiple copyright claims for the same video. Only a few disputes (such as the one for The Lark/Glinka) were reviewed by the claimant. The rest went through that 30 days period and expired on their own.

Super helpful, thanks. Now I kind of know what to expect. Ha, couldn't imagine getting a lawyer for something like this. But also, the companies doing this are counting on that, them being in a position of financial power over most independent musicians. It's pretty discouraging.

I'm not suprised that digital distribution of content has opened up a whole new can of litigation. I had a feeling this would happen as the sale of physical media declined. It's still a d8mn shame.

The saddest part is that these entities are not filing claims and lawsuits on behalf of the artist and/or their estate. As mentioned, Bach's music has been public domain for several centuries.

These are clearly publishing company money grabs for works to which they might have a copyright but no real artistic or monetary investment.

Chasing down copyright infringement on recordings of Classical music seems like a major exercise in futility. :laugh::cool:

what a racket!

A simple consideration: On YouTube, there's a Glenn Gould official channel, which I guess is controlled by Sony. But also, there are literally hundreds of videos from other channels, where those *same* CBS recordings are posted; mainly Bach, but lots of other stuff too. These should be easy from their "intelligent" algorithm to recognize. I wonder if Sony intend to shut down all of them....

It's interesting you mention that, because I was watching one of the famous GG docs on Youtube recently and at least on two occasions, it went silent for a minute or so. I'm assuming now that there were some algorithm shenanigans going down with the music being copyrighted. (probably valid in this scenario since professional recordings, even classical music ones, need permission to be redistributed)

Suggestion: Every posted performance should contain a clinker 'absolutely not dedicated to those ********* at Sony.'

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Would the tech used to flag the alleged violations be essentially the same tech such as Shazam that helpfully lets us identify tunes? So that's good and bad. I wonder if you played your tune for Shazam would it tell you it thinks it's a copyrighted recording.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI