Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinway trying to find their way in 2020

The Lenny Kravitz Steinway

The wood grain patterns I think are quite beautiful. The legs, eh. I"d have gone a different way there... but it"s interesting either way. I dig Lenny"s rock records - is he a Steinway Artist? I guess so.

https://www.steinway.com/pianos/steinway/limited-edition/kravitz-grand/

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard pass from me. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to grand pianos.

Oh, shit. Of course, at this price point one has to be entirely confident in their love of everything about it. If the style isn't your cup of tea, it's a definite no. Even with a Korg-esque $500 off. ;)

If I really, really, really try to be understanding and all, I can kinda-sorta deal with the body of the piano, in a drug-trip sorta way...but those legs are hideous. No other word for it. I'm stuck between seeing them as telephone poles that have been hacked or crude, unfinished totem poles that will eventually be carved into faces. Neither option works for me.

On the other hand, if Steinway's sales are down and they need to resort to bespoke or endorser instruments to survive, then go for it. The company is too important to let fail. If this sort of creative thinking will keep them afloat until things improve, then I say go for it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

That thing is butt ugly and as ugly as some of the other special Steinways I've seen in a video tour of their special customers only room in NYC. Gibson guitar does like a total art piece of the guitar every year and they are ugly as hell too. What is it with companies making art work instrument the artwork looks like it came from the 99 cent store. The only "special" Steinway I've seen I buy it I won the lottery is the John Lennon all white piano, that looks cool, but they'd need to add a cup holder for me.

The body is kind of neat, but the legs...not in a piano, yikes!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

If I really, really, really try to be understanding and all, I can kinda-sorta deal with the body of the piano, in a drug-trip sorta way...but those legs are hideous. No other word for it. I'm stuck between seeing them as telephone poles that have been hacked or crude, unfinished totem poles that will eventually be carved into faces. Neither option works for me.

On the other hand, if Steinway's sales are down and they need to resort to bespoke or endorser instruments to survive, then go for it. The company is too important to let fail. If this sort of creative thinking will keep them afloat until things improve, then I say go for it.

Grey

What if they were conga or djembe shaped instead? And decoratively painted?

The legs could have looked like this!

conga.jpg

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Love Lenny Kravitz. Was fortunate enough to get a ticket from his keyboard player's keyboard tech when they played a sold out show with tickets never going on sale at the 930 Club in DC late 1990's, when his band was playing stadiums.

"Fly Away" was a global hit at the time.

This piano, NFW.

:nopity:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Love Lenny Kravitz. Was fortunate enough to get a ticket from his keyboard player's keyboard tech when they played a sold out show with tickets never going on sale at the 930 Club in DC late 1990's, when his band was playing stadiums.

This piano, NFW.

:roll:

I'm sure he knew reactions would be strong. Someone is going to go for this. Most will run away.

Love Lenny too (not as much as my wife does), but those legs remind me of an enlarged version of something from my "Lincoln Logs" kit when I was a kid. I wonder how many they will actually sell?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

At this price - time and labor hours invested... how many do we think they may have to sell? 3? 5?

I'm thinking there may only be Lenny's and the show model - build to order?

And maybe they get some other artists thinking they'd like to do similar.

Taking notes from the Gibson/Fender playbook.

It reminds me of those photos of pimped out cars left on blocks with their wheels stolen.

Not just butt ugly, as mentioned above - butt ugly to a mud fence.

A profound disregard for the design aesthetic that made classic Steinway designs of the past timeless and beautiful.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.