Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2020-2021 Thread

With the pandemic still in full bloom, it's a strange time for sports. The recent NBA season finally ended last month (with a Lakers championship, thank you basketball gods), and a new one is already slated to begin next month.

Let's kick off the new thread with some news:

Sources: Phoenix Suns agree in principle to acquire Chris Paul from Oklahoma City Thunder

Sources: Brooklyn Nets top James Harden's list of trade destinations

Sources: Los Angeles Lakers star Anthony Davis, eyeing bigger deal, declines option

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been weird here. The stories are that Westbrook AND Harden want out. It's weird because the stories that Silas and the GM were hired with Harden's consult. :idk: Meanwhile, the Rockets have picked up a TON of interesting players and the talk is now, "are they good enough that Harden will want to stay? Will he be happy enough if he does end up staying? And what about Russell?"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 6 months later...

Wow, we let the whole season go by without a single post! It's been a half-year since Joe's post above. I'm bumping this thread for the playoffs.

The Suns' most recent playoff game may have been in 2010, but they still managed to beat the defending champion Lakers 99-90 today in Game 1 of their first-round series:

Phoenix Suns' Chris Paul plays through shoulder contusion in win over Los Angeles Lakers

Of course, the Lakers are trying to repeat after having a greatly reduced window (due to the pandemic) to rest between the finish of the 2020 season and the start of the current season, and both LeBron James and Anthony Davis are coming back from injuries; so that helps the Suns. Nonetheless, Los Angeles was heavily favored coming in; so I'm especially happy to see my favorite team off to a 1-0 head start, even if it has to be at the expense of my second favorite team.

Best,

Geoff

I haven't watched much NBA for a few years now, so I'm out of touch on many of the young stars.

Devin Booker, wow...same with Ja Morant and the center for the Grizzlies, he's impressive and quite old-school :) I did already know Doncic was incredible after watching a couple games last year, the few games I actually did watch were Dallas games. And Trae Young...wish the Magic could have somehow gotten him but he went before their pick.

I get a bit annoyed with all the 3-ball shooting--and not blaming the teams for doing it, it's the most efficient way to score--but thinking back it beats the phase where someone isolated on every posession (either with a dribbler or a post-up) and everyone else just went to the other side of the floor...followed by a hard foul every single time in the playoffs. Boring. At least with the 3s the teams have to move the ball.

Teams now perhaps can't shoot mid-range like they used to but holy crap are there a lot of good long-range shooters now.

Marc Stein got a little embarrassed calling this season the first meaningful basketball in Phoenix in a long time... Mercury fans were not amused.

Anyway, I know this isn't the hot topic here, but I will say again: the Canadian Olympic team (after they finish off their qualification this summer) will be one of the strongest ever assembled, even without its probable best player in Jamal Murray. Lookout.

I do not watch NBA games regularly but I do root for my home teams in all sports. The Wizards are in the playoffs. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Lakers evened up the series 1-1 in an exciting back and forth game (albeit one in which the Lakers usually led):

Davis, Lakers bounce back to beat Suns 109-102 in Game 2

both LeBron James and Anthony Davis are coming back from injuries; so that helps the Suns.

Tonight, it was Chris Paul's turn to struggle with any meaningful play due to injuries. No excuses though. LeBron and AD are still banged up too. That's the playoffs.

Go Lakers!!!

Yes!!! :cool:

And

http://www.geoffgrace.com/Pictures/Suns.jpg

GO SUNS!!! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Marc Stein got a little embarrassed calling this season the first meaningful basketball in Phoenix in a long time... Mercury fans were not amused.

No doubt! That was a pretty big blunder.

Anyway, I know this isn't the hot topic here, but I will say again: the Canadian Olympic team (after they finish off their qualification this summer) will be one of the strongest ever assembled, even without its probable best player in Jamal Murray. Lookout.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up, Eric. ;)

I do not watch NBA games regularly but I do root for my home teams in all sports. The Wizards are in the playoffs. :D:cool:

Yeah, they are! Best of luck, ProfD.

Best,

Geoff

Now that Anthony Davis is out again with injuries, and the series is tied at 2-2, it seems this contest is more about which team is the more banged up rather than which team is the best.

If both teams were at full strength, I'd expect the Lakers to win; but right now, it's anybody's guess.

Best,

Geoff

I was more happy than sad to see my favorite team eliminate my second favorite team tonight:

Devin Booker drops 47 points as Phoenix Suns end Los Angeles Lakers' reign in first round

Nonetheless, it does seem to me at this point that last year's Finals teams (LA and Miami) were at an unfair disadvantage this year because of the quick turnaround between seasons. As a result, the Suns' victory was bittersweet.

Otherwise, I'm overjoyed to see that Phoenix is a contender again. Eleven years was a long time to wait. I hope they can go deep into the playoffs.

Best,

Geoff

I think I may have underestimated the Suns. They beat Denver by 17 points on Monday and again by 25 tonight. It still seems like too much to hope that Phoenix will win it allâI think this is Brooklyn's yearâbut I wouldn't be surprised at any other level of success for the Suns.

No matter what lies ahead, I'm really happy with my favorite team's performance this season!

Best,

Geoff

I'll miss the day The NBA on TNT ends (or Ernie Johnson retires, he's 65 though he doesn't look it). That show is literally my favorite on television, amongst a sea of crap. I'll skip most of the games just to watch it (it's on youtube in any case).

Shaq is low-key dry humor hysterical. At first I thought it was a mistake to bring him on but he's perfect.

Wow! The Suns swept the Nuggets and advance to the Western Conference Finals. What a way to end a drought! :cool:

Denver was a tough opponent in this elimination game. They kept Phoenix from running away with the lead. Well played.

I've waited since childhood for the Suns to finally win an NBA Championship. Could this be the year?

Best,

Geoff

Congrats Geoff! It's going to be interesting to see if the Jazz can eliminate the Clippers. If so, that should be a great series between your Suns and the Jazz. I'm a big fan of Devin Booker and nice to see CP3 going towards the finals.

On a separate note, I'm glad Lebron and AD are gone and hoping the Nets falter now that Kyrie got hurt again.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Congrats Geoff! It's going to be interesting to see if the Jazz can eliminate the Clippers. If so, that should be a great series between your Suns and the Jazz. I'm a big fan of Devin Booker and nice to see CP3 going towards the finals.

Thanks, MrVegas. I agree.

Either way, I expect a tough Western Conference Finals series for the Suns. It should be a good one.

Best,

Geoff

What a game KD had: 49 points, 17 rebounds, and 10 assists!

He became the first player in NBA history to have at least 45 points, 15 rebounds, and 10 assists in a playoff game.

Durant's sensational performance sends Nets to 3-2 lead

Best,

Geoff

COVID strikes again:

Phoenix Suns' Chris Paul out indefinitely, placed in NBA health and safety protocols

Paul is reportedly vaccinated, FWIW; but he's still out until he produces two negative test results. As for the rest of the players, it will take time to discover whether or not they were infected.

Luckily, thanks to the short series they just played, the Suns have a little time for this to sort itself out. Hoping for the best: first, for the health of all concerned, and secondly for success in the next round.

Best,

Geoff

I think this is Brooklyn's year

...or not.

What a spectacular overtime Game 7 in the Nets vs. Bucks series!

Milwaukee Bucks survive instant classic to make Eastern Conference finals

KD set an NBA record for points in a Game 7 with 48 in the Nets' loss!

Best,

Geoff

In the meantime...

Phoenix Suns' Chris Paul ruled out for Game 1 vs. LA Clippers

"Anyone who has returned a confirmed positive test, or has been identified as having been in close contact to an infected person, is isolated or quarantined until they are cleared under the rules established by the NBA and the Players Association in accordance with CDC guidance," according to the league's news release.

*Sigh*

Best,

Geoff

That's true, Dave. Booker scored 70 points in a game last year, albeit in a losing effort. I think Paul is a difference maker with his strategic passing as much as with his shooting, though.

Of course if Kawhi is out, handicapping the Clippers too, then I agree that the Suns stand a fighting chance. I guess we'll find out soon...

Best,

Geoff

Yes!!!

Booker gets first triple-double, Suns beat Clippers 120-114

IIRC, Phoenix's biggest lead was 11 points; but it was a close game almost the whole way with the lead changing hands multiple times. Paul George and the rest of the Clippers did a great job without Kawhi, keeping me on the edge of my seat for most of the game.

Best,

Geoff