Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil SP6

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Sp6 that so far has met all of my needs

However, last night at rehearsal,

3 octaves of Eb and G, (6 tones total),

made no sound at all.

Naturally, I have a gig tomorrow, (Saturday), night.

Can anyone give me some guidance.direction

On what I can do to repair this ASAP.

Many thanks from Chicago

Definitely hit up Kurzweil support. https://kurzweil.com/operational-support/

Also, if you're really stuck, my buddy Frank Lucas is in Chicago and has an SP6.

Feel free to shoot me an email and I can get you connected. I'm sure he would be happy to help out.

weiserdav@gmail.com

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The church band has just gotten a SP6 and the task is upon me to create all the sounds and setups that we'll be needing. Nothing very fancy but I'll have to build a few pads and multis, also take the reverb off of everything because of the church building acoustics. Any tips in tweaking KB3 sounds or rotary effect to be more realistic?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Join the Mastering VAST forum ($6 Australian for a year) and find the Hammond/Leslie patches from user BillW. After installing the sound, you can separate the Leslie effect (at least on the PC3, not sure how much of the functionality the SP6 has. He did a better job than I was able to even with a lot of time spent on it. I still don't love it, but it is less phasey and better. I typically carry an iPhone or iPad to connect up and use either Galileo or Korg Module for my Hammond/Lesie sounds at church. I could carry the SK1, but like having all gear already there.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Is there a sound example to listen to BillW's Leslie before I "buy" it?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

You really are "buying" a year of access to ALL of the Kurzweil (and other) patches on the board. The fee is used to pay hosting expenses. You don't really buy the Leslie, he made two or three .PC3 files that used the Leslie.

The way Kurzweil works, the program starts with a particular combination of drawbars, vibrato/chorus on or off, that are controlling the KB3 engine. The Leslie is an EFFECT that can be applied (after installing) to ANY of the KB3 patches by selecting the particular effect when editing (on the PC3, I don't know how much capability the SP6 has, it is possible that one might have to produce a KB3 file on a PC3 with just the right settings, save that, and then add it to the SP6)

I added a couple of patches to my PC3 from BillW, and found out in edit mode exactly which (numbered) effect chain is in use for the Leslie. Then I modified the other KB3 patches one at a time (except a few that I wouldn't use at all) to most of the different KB3 patches. So, any patch that I bring up now has that particular Leslie on it. I forgot how many different variations of Leslie are included just in the factory set, but it is a pretty good number (something like 25 to 50 comes to mind, including some "double Leslie" effects. Almost all of them are OK to me on slow rotor, but fast rotor just has way too much warble on it.

There are literally hundreds of parameters that can be changed in the Effects engine, not all of them are labeled in a way that immediately told me what they did, and I spent a lot of hours trying to get one that I really liked.

Bill spent a lot of hours tuning up the one that he developed, and (IMO) he did a better job than myself.

It is still not perfect, on a level with my SP1. I had an Electro 3 for a year or so, liked it better at first, but got tired of not the Leslie but the basic tones pulling out different variations of the draw-buttons.

I was really considering buying a Ventilator, but this combination is passable, and a LOT cheaper. I do love the Leslie effect on the patches in Korg Module, but one can't vary the drawbars. I have the first version of Galileo, that lets me vary the drawbars, but don't like the Leslie that much. As IOS apps, both of those were a lot cheaper than buying hardware.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I've had mine since they first came out. And no issues other than once I turned it on and it failed to load. But I had a full backup on USB and that corrected the issue.

I think the gig I played at had power issues. Because it was the next day after the gig. The problem hasn't returned since.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I liked mine a lot, especially after adding some of Dave Weiser's sounds and adjusting the velocity curve. I sold it just a few months ago to an organization that I also teach for, so I'll still get to use it here and there. Just had a little too much overlap with my Roland FP-4 and my 2020 addition of the NS3. Good board, good value.