Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My New Hammond Chop Pics

Yes. It's over on Reverb now because he wanted me to list it for him. I know techs don't like working on them but there is a market for them.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the ignorance, but are these really that much easier to move around vs. the entire organ? Don't these things still weigh a ton? Guess I never understood the appeal of these but then again I'm a purist.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Sorry for the ignorance, but are these really that much easier to move around vs. the entire organ? Don't these things still weigh a ton? Guess I never understood the appeal of these but then again I'm a purist.

Yes and no. A 200 lb chop can be efficiently handled by a couple guys, while a 325 lb full console requires more bodies, and goes thru doors a lot less easily. Still, a chop requires commitment to gig without roadies.

Moe

---

You bump your legs and knees moving a console cabinet. Not the case with a chop, but they are not much lighter.

My (vintage not new) Porta-B is basically a chopped L-100. It's a lot lighter than a console organ and I figured out how to set it up myself, but I never had (nor do I want) anything heavier.

Yes and no. A 200 lb chop can be efficiently handled by a couple guys, while a 325 lb full console requires more bodies, and goes thru doors a lot less easily. Still, a chop requires commitment to gig without roadies.

It was an idea to help people gig. Everyone I saw years ago. Santana, Neville Brothers, and Robert Cray's keyboard player used one. People think chopping legs off a console make it lighter but that isn't where the weight is, it's the tone generator and manuals. The chops just make it manageable.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The best reason to chop a Hammond is so the organ would fit in the Silver Eagle cargo bays. Never found a Chop particularly easier to handle than an intact organ on ROKs. Like Jason says the weight isn"t in the legs. Its a lot easier to grab and move a B cabinet than stoop over and pick up a chop. ... But you had to get it on the bus somehow. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In the 80's I had a hideously chopped A100, spray painted black, pipe legs attached with wheels. Put a band guy on each corner and it was a breeze to lift in and out of a U Haul. It was my 1st experience with anything Hammond. I didn't have a Leslie, instead used an analogue Leslie FX pedal made by Firstman (would be surprised if anyone else here had heard of that one) . I used to joke about putting a transmission on it so I could just drive it to the gig, what with the motor and all.

Being an idiot and also being a dirt poor college student, when the transformer blew out I traded it for a used 70's Yamaha SK20, which I thought kicked the Korg CX3's butt as a B3 clone, due to a better Leslie effect.

If there was ever a relevant necrothread it would be this one. Yay!

I recently inherited an abandoned M chop project that needed rescue.

Bear in mind that it"s not a '3' so it has a reduced value to begin with.

It might sound a little irreverent but due to space limitations I had to gut the whole thing and dump the guts into a large yard trash can. Even without any of the cabinetry the trash can is too heavy to lift. But I"ve got every single part and just came across a 'free '3' that might need a few parts itself. But no chops happening here.

Me again. And Speaking of chops I did one waay back in the seventies where I separated the generators(yes there were two in this beast) from the console and mounted the 'console' directly to a set of ROKS by way of a couple of 1x1 beams

Much more to tell but it"s getting noisey here.

my c3 chop was originally configured in two pieces with the tone generator in a separate cabinet along with the pedal contacts . was able to fit the whole organ in the back of my

'81 dodge colt ( minus anything else of course ) eventually put the generator back with the keyboards along with a trek2 preamp . i don't move it anymore , it's been parked basically

in the same spot for years . the whole chop concepts' been likened to putting an anvil in a paper bag . i think that about sums it up .

Yes it is a bev. on the leslie. It was empty if that saves me at all(lol). The start switches and the vol. conn.(1/4' in/out) are on the back panel wich is located back right of the machine.

I was hoping to install removable wheels to the back panel but I don`t think that`s gonna work anymore. There`s just no room for them w/ this set-up. I need to come up w/ a solution though just for easy of moving it. I`m open to any ideas if anyone has any.

Looks like fun.

Haven't read the entire thread. Look for a high quality folding dolly, much bigger wheels than you would install on your instruments so smoother ride over bumps.

And, you can use one thing to move everything.

Somehow I left mine at an outdoor gig a few years ago, sucks to be me. I've transitioned to lightweight gear and a small foldable luggage carrier does the trick now.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.