Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thrift store score?

wraub

It really is a nice neck. :) However, the guitar has about a kajillion scratches, dents, wear marks and all over "relic-ing" and the scratch by the output is just one among many. It's really apparent in other pics, they're everywhere. I plan to leave them as is, partly because it's all honest wear I actually like the looks of, and partly because it's easier. ;) The top is rather thin, and the square plastic plate around the output jack is a previous repair that's been there a while. I think it'll stay.

Simple does appeal to me, although this quitar will mostly be for writing and recording, so looking for quality and some variety of sounds.

I'm also looking at coil taps and combined pots that do volume and tone (push/pull) and other possibilities... According to Duncan, a coil split Invader sounds a bit like a P90. I am intrigued.

I'll probably only do this once (hopefully) and the guitar was very inexpensive :D so, while I'm on a budget, I do have a little spending room. Pots and switches are relatively inexpensive. Also, I am not in a rush, willing to investigate options.

Research continues...

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like beat up guitars, you don't have to worry about them.

Crazy friend wants to try it out - here ya go!

Oops, it fell? Hope it didn't scratch the floor... :laugh:

The main thing I want for recording is the lowest possible self noise from the guitar. In proximity with a computer and audio gear, single coils will have hum problems. Sometimes you can find a "safe zone" by slowly turning in circles with headphones on and listening carefully, sometimes there is no safe zone. As great as they sound plugged in and even though the pickups are fully shielded, I can't use my Danelectro guitars for studio tracks, at all.

If you read up on Daniel Lanois and his search for clean, quiet power for studio work, he went to extremes to find it. Battery powered studios out in the middle of nowhere - as far off the grid as possible. We are surrounded by EMI.

Add some gain and ugh...

I didn't learn to abandon single coils entirely until I started trying to record with them. Shielding can help but I think it's overrated - hum is hum and quiet is paramount since noise is usually one of the worst problems a home studio recordist has - I am still working on making it go away. Not all mics are created equal either.

Just my 2 cents, it's your call. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Yeah, I hear ya re:single coil noise, but I record often with my Jazz bass with no issues, if needed I just swivel my chair until it clears up any noise. Again, though, it's rarely an issue for me atm.

Also, I kinda want to use what I can from the existing parts and spend as little as possible. I kinda want to see what I can squeeze out of this guitar, and the budget issue keeps butting in... plus, I take an odd pride in having a great instrument that didn't cost me a lot. All of my gear is good stuff I got for great prices, sometimes because work was needed. Never stopped me before.:D

Pots, a switch, maybe knobs, maybe a plug. If I can get creative, great, but I keep coming back to simple, at least for now. Knowing how I'll likely use the guitar, I think simple is going to work best for me and such uses.

edit- it also occurs to me that, if implemented right, the coil tapped humbucker could work in conjunction with the single coil to reject hum, if desired.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Well, you gotta do you, The Hi-A stuff was of a different quality than Leo Fenders crude but effective early designs. It may very well be pretty quiet.

And yes, even the humbucker itself may provide some hum cancelling if the hum is out of phase. It's more a matter of the signal being out of phase too.

Bear in mind that flipping the magnet on the Invader will also reverse polarity and might be a way of having out of phase pickups that sound in phase.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.