Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lachy throwin down some Hendrix

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very good, it makes me happy to see a keyboard player go nuts and push the parameters.

It doesn't capture Hendrix, truly.

It's very difficult for some to go beyond the 12 designated notes. Portamento and vibrato isn't quite the same thing. It is probably conditioning, training, and the limitations of the first instrument - typically for keyboardists the piano.

Hendrix knew the notes the Universe has provided, he felt them and he played them.

I am not Hendrix, not even close. But I do hear them and play them too. Somehow they seem to belong more to the guitar than the keyboard even though they are both laid out to provide the tempered scale.

Those who were here prior to the Invasion also heard the notes the Universe provided. Fretless banjos are among the earliest widely played instruments in European dominated America.

Many learned music on the Diddley Bow. Some used a slide on the guitar, partly because the action was painfully high with thick, stiff strings but mainly because a slide is a moveable fret and can play those notes.

Americans may call them "blue notes" but the origin is the Middle East and they come to us via Africa. Europeans brought the slaves from Africa and the slaves brought the notes that the Universe provides.

Listen carefully to the original Voodoo Chile Revisited on Electric Ladyland and then this version. You will hear those notes. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

"It doesn't capture Hendrix, truly".........wouldn't it be a bit of a drag if it DID? There's only ONE Hendrix, just like there's only ONE Bird, only ONE Jarrett, etc. Everyone else is just paying their tribute when they do this kind of thing. For it to sound like THIS with nary a guitar in sight, it's DAMN good though......

"It doesn't capture Hendrix, truly".........wouldn't it be a bit of a drag if it DID? There's only ONE Hendrix, just like there's only ONE Bird, only ONE Jarrett, etc. Everyone else is just paying their tribute when they do this kind of thing. For it to sound like THIS with nary a guitar in sight, it's DAMN good though......

I do agree that it is an amazing effort. At the same time, he is absolutely capable of the subtle but important expressions that are conveyed by playing outside of the tempered scale.

Often it is subtle but it does create tension. I wasn't feeling that when I listened and responded.

I don't do "note for note" either. Give the above version another spin immediately after playing Jimi's version and see if you get what I am trying to say here.

It isn't bad at all but it simply does not speak with an authentic voice.

I figured this would probably ruffle some feathers, not my intention but so it goes. Cheers, Kuru

I do agree that it is an amazing effort. At the same time, he is absolutely capable of the subtle but important expressions that are conveyed by playing outside of the tempered scale.

Often it is subtle but it does create tension. I wasn't feeling that when I listened and responded.

I don't do "note for note" either. Give the above version another spin immediately after playing Jimi's version and see if you get what I am trying to say here.

It isn't bad at all but it simply does not speak with an authentic voice.

I figured this would probably ruffle some feathers, not my intention but so it goes. Cheers, Kuru

Nothing ruffled over here.....

I do not fault anyone for appreciating Doley and his prodigious skill. But I just can't find my way onto the bandwagon. I don't know why. I can't find my way in.

You sir, are going to Hell! :D;)

Let me take this opportunity to slag the SRV cover that so many people love. Technically clean, played with skill, but it leaves me cold. OTOH, when Jimi does the dive bomb leading out of the intro, I get goose bumps every time.

Me too!

I"m a Lachy fan, but attempts to 'sound like' Hendrix always fall flat for me. Hendrix found his own unique voice, and the lesson from that should be to find your own.

Also, though I dig the sound of the wammy clav, visually it"s like watching someone ironing on meth. Don"t ask me how I know.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64