Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg opsix

Would have been nice to have such easy access to the operator parameters when I had a DX7. Well done, Korg. I like it. Very promising. (Where are the rest of the keys for those of us that want to...you know...play with BOTH hands?)

The most frustrating thing I had programming my DX7 was that the envelopes (all important in FM) wouldn't update in real time when editing them. I'm not sure that's solved here, but I don't think it is. When he's adjusting the envelopes, he has to keep hitting the keys to hear what he's doing.

On the positive side, this goes far beyond traditional DX style FM - with analog waveshapes and filters available along with effects. Many of the patches sound more VA than FM. If I were a younger man I'd be all over this - and I'm sure there are others who will be.

The most frustrating thing I had programming my DX7 was that the envelopes (all important in FM) wouldn't update in real time when editing them. I'm not sure that's solved here, but I don't think it is. When he's adjusting the envelopes, he has to keep hitting the keys to hear what he's doing.

Interesting. I don"t recall that ever being an issue for me and now Im wondering how FM-8 handles this.

Yeah and it was complicated by the fact that DX7 envelopes were rate based, not time based. Rate envelopes are not instinctive if you are used to analog ADSRs, and it took a lot of patience on my part to do anything at all. I was kind of a geeky young'un back then :laugh: so just rolled with it. I don't know how many custom patches I came up with from scratch... over 100.

Envelopes on this new board are ADSRs, so they'll be time based by definition.

Yep, no AT means I have zero interest, just as with the WaveState, which I saw the other night but didn't even ask the clerk to enable it for testing as I knew it has no AT.

A synth without AT is as soulless and expressionless to me as a sample set of a Moog.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

(Where are the rest of the keys for those of us that want to...you know...play with BOTH hands?)

This guy is using both hands. :keys2: His technique is interesting but his video does a nice job demonstrating the instrument and his songs are pleasant as well.

[video:youtube]

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I'm getting errors on both videos; did they get pulled?

UPDATE: The entire YouTube website is giving me errors with direct video links, and won't even load a basic page when going directly to their site.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It sounds like a pretty good take on 6-op FM, almost (to my ears) a bit more like a Casio, but that's not a bad thing as I preferred the CZ to the DX anyway in terms of it having a more rounded sound.

Still, it begs for some expression (i.e. aftertouch). I'm not a fan of mod wheels or expression pedals; too coarse and non-tactile in their feedback. Nothing holds a candle to aftertouch.

From what I've seen in the specs and all the videos, Korg has done a number of cool things with Opsix.

First & foremost for many will be the lighted six knob/slider interface layout, will make quick work of getting around the key FM parameters. Second is distilling some of MOD7's deeper capabilities into their Operator modes to give simple access to timbres that only long time FM nerds know how to build in FM. Third is an very good effects section -- never underestimate the power of effects on the final result.

Those three things should strongly appeal to those intimidated by programming FM but want a new/different timbral space to play in the manner of twiddling a few knobs and have neat things pop out.

That said, for me truly not a fan of the no AT & keyboard format, and on the fence re: price point. After seeing the mock up at NAMM I was hoping for something more along the lines of a full spec, knobby interfaced MOD7 performance synth.

... will need to figure out how to get some time with Opsix to dissect it guts to what else may be hiding in it that expands on or is different/unique

Yes, no AT. Sigh. BUT...USER CREATABLE ALGORITHMS!!! Finally! Now if synth makers would also allow user creatable waveforms for the operators, the door would be fully open. I believe that was the case with Synclavier 2 FM.

BTW, Yamaha had user programmable algorithms in the SY77/99. Oddly, not as useful as you'd think in the SY's as the normal AFM operator 'patch bay' allowed you to do 99%+ of the things you'd use the user algorithm for anyway. But cool Korg have it in Opsix as there's otherwise no operator patchability.

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

Yes, no AT. Sigh. BUT...USER CREATABLE ALGORITHMS!!! Finally! Now if synth makers would also allow user creatable waveforms for the operators, the door would be fully open. I believe that was the case with Synclavier 2 FM.

BTW, Yamaha had user programmable algorithms in the SY77/99. Oddly, not as useful as you'd think in the SY's as the normal AFM operator 'patch bay' allowed you to do 99%+ of the things you'd use the user algorithm for anyway. But cool Korg have it in Opsix as there's otherwise no operator patchability.

Manny

Back in the day, when I had my DX-7, I remember playing around with programming on it many times. More than once, I wanted to have a slightly different algorithm to accomplish what I wanted to do. But it wasn't available in the list of 32.

Back in the day, when I had my DX-7, I remember playing around with programming on it many times. More than once, I wanted to have a slightly different algorithm to accomplish what I wanted to do. But it wasn't available in the list of 32.

Wow. Someone who knows how the operators would have to be arranged in order to get the sound you want. Impressive. :-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The biggest thing that pissed me off about the DX7 algorithms was the way they utilized feedback loops - which were always where you didn't want them or where you wanted more than one. I remember so many times when I'd get a great sound with an operator stack that had a feedback loop, but couldn't duplicate it in another part of the algorithm for a unison or chorusing effect.

That will not be a problem with the Opsix, because it has complex waveforms that go far beyond the sine waves of the DX7. But it sure was back in 1984.

I know it's fairly tiny already, but this thing screams for a desktop version, just like the Wavestate also screams for one. Korg seems to be hell-bent on reusing the same case and [subjective opinion here] shabby keybed for its latest synths. I know that makes sense from a design/cost perspective, but these 37-key formats with no AT are absolutely killing my desire to spend as much money as possible on hardware that I don't need. LOL. I'm just gonna have to start my own synth company. Who's with me? ;)

I know it's fairly tiny already, but this thing screams for a desktop version, just like the Wavestate also screams for one. Korg seems to be hell-bent on reusing the same case and [subjective opinion here] shabby keybed for its latest synths. I know that makes sense from a design/cost perspective, but these 37-key formats with no AT are absolutely killing my desire to spend as much money as possible on hardware that I don't need. LOL. I'm just gonna have to start my own synth company. Who's with me? ;)

Well, you're only safe until Korg decides to issue a module version of this, just like they did the Minilogue XD.

In this price range, there's also the Twisted Electrons MegaFM and Elektron Digitone in module form - granted both are 4-op rather than 6-op, and each with its individual pros/cons.

While Korg is doomed to be criticized for its choice, there is a logic to it. A slim-key 3 octave keyboard takes up only a little more space than a desktop version. If I was Korg, I'd say it's not a shrunk keyboard, it's a desktop with an attached keybed good enough for sound sculpting and for playing many synth-type parts. For maximizing chops, connect to a controller just as you would with a desktop.

Thinking of the Opsix as a distant relative of the DX7, I would have voted for 4 slim key octaves for two-handed epiano playing. But that would be getting farther away from the desktop+ concept.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

A slim-key 3 octave keyboard takes up only a little more space than a desktop version. If I was Korg, I'd say it's not a shrunk keyboard, it's a desktop with an attached keybed good enough for sound sculpting and for playing many synth-type parts. For maximizing chops, connect to a controller just as you would with a desktop.

Bingo. :thu:

That's exactly what I see in these smaller KBs especially in the absence of rackmount tone generators and desktops. I believe the manufacturers are telling us "This Is It.". :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A slim-key 3 octave keyboard takes up only a little more space than a desktop version. If I was Korg, I'd say it's not a shrunk keyboard, it's a desktop with an attached keybed good enough for sound sculpting and for playing many synth-type parts. For maximizing chops, connect to a controller just as you would with a desktop.

Bingo. :thu:

That's exactly what I see in these smaller KBs especially in the absence of rackmount tone generators and desktops. I believe the manufacturers are telling us "This Is It.". :laugh::cool:

This is it, unless you are willing to pay up for a Kodamo Essence FM rackmount module. ;)

Granted you get like 300 voice poly and 16-part multimbral for the extra $$$

[Well, you're only safe until Korg decides to issue a module version of this, just like they did the Minilogue XD.

In this price range, there's also the Twisted Electrons MegaFM and Elektron Digitone in module form - granted both are 4-op rather than 6-op, and each with its individual pros/cons.

I've considered the Elektron desktops, both the Digitone and Digitakt. I quite like them, actually, and they also import samples, which you can then mangle to death if you like. They've been on my Xmas wishlist for a while. If I were going to get an FM synth with a proper keyboard, I would favor a Yahama SY77 or SY99. Yeah, they are 30 years old and the newer FM synths do a lot more, but I always wanted one of those and could never afford them back in the 90s. Btw, the link in my previous comment is to a post I made about the Wavestate, and how it is unlikely to get a module or desktop version according to Dan P of Korg. It's possible that the Opsix would fall under the same reasoning.

While Korg is doomed to be criticized for its choice, there is a logic to it. A slim-key 3 octave keyboard takes up only a little more space than a desktop version. If I was Korg, I'd say it's not a shrunk keyboard, it's a desktop with an attached keybed good enough for sound sculpting and for playing many synth-type parts. For maximizing chops, connect to a controller just as you would with a desktop.

Thinking of the Opsix as a distant relative of the DX7, I would have voted for 4 slim key octaves for two-handed epiano playing. But that would be getting farther away from the desktop+ concept.

Well, you're right of course. There is logic to Korg's decisions. It's just not *my* logic. LOL. It occurred to me after I made my post, that I could get both the Opsix and a Wavestate and have them placed together side by side on a typical stand. This doesn't solve the AT problem, but I do have several controllers to choose from.

[Well, you're only safe until Korg decides to issue a module version of this, just like they did the Minilogue XD.

I've considered the Elektron desktops, both the Digitone and Digitakt. I quite like them, actually, and they also import samples, which you can then mangle to death if you like. They've been on my Xmas wishlist for a while. If I were going to get an FM synth with a proper keyboard, I would favor a Yahama SY77 or SY99.

Kodamo just announced the VFM keyboard FM synths - 37 and 61 key versions. They say the VFMs will have a different synth engine than the EssenceFM, but no details have been provided, other than they will be FM synths.

Of course nothing wrong with picking up a Yamaha SY if a great deal can be found.

> Aquilarift: It occurred to me after I made my post, that I could get both the Opsix and a Wavestate and have them placed together side by side on a typical stand.

This, in the end. In a sense, they're both like effects units as much as synths. They're clearly aimed, in part, at creating a giant whirl of sound with relative ease. As with any other instrument, GIGO. You won't fully grasp either one in a weekend, but with a little dedication, a month seems about right for 90% of it.

Some people behave as if every new variation is an offense to the gods, but don't you notice yourself leaning more towards X than Y? Sit at a piano, EP or organ and just drink it in, solo? Suddenly realize that you just spent more on Eurorack stuff in the past 5 years than you did on actual hardware keys? I thought so! I can't say much, as I'm tweedling the PG-1000 programmer that comes with the soft-D-50, with small but solid gratification. You pick your poison, but also your honey.

In addition, these two are banking on nostalgia as much as their other pluses. Younger people will want a piece of the old glory; some of "Us" will like having Korg's take on wave sequencing or FM in tidier packages. I'd like to see the 2-year curve on Wavestate sales, but several 3rd party authors are releasing patch banks for it. That's a small added sign of longevity.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"