Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Death of a Workstation-SSD's and Flash RAM

Bif_

I'm wondering what these two pieces of tech are going to do to the used keyboard market down the road. My Forte uses Flash RAM. I know the Kronos uses an SSD. These things fail after so many read/write cycles, correct? What happens on that fateful day?

My trusty Motif ES has everything baked in. 17 years old and still a workhorse. Thoughts on the downside of SSD's and Flash RAM?

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]My trusty Motif ES has everything baked in. 17 years old and still a workhorse. [...]

User Voice data, Performances, Patterns, Songs, Utility mode (System) settings are all stored in flash memory in your Motif ES. It seems it's been working for 17 years.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Additionally, the SSD in the Kronos can be swapped out easily. No downsides, only upsides.

actually, Kronos 1 , SSD upgrade is 'easier '.

For Kronos 2, its a tighter process as internals are crowded.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The storage management on newer drives is much better at hot spot detection, moving where it write data to keep regions from being used too much. not overwriting deleted files until the space is needed and other techniques. It would be great if board makers using SSD's would put a compartment on the board so a backup drive could be easily inserted and add to system software ability to do a dd (Linux utility for a bit level copy) of the system drive. You'd would have a drive that is a mirror image of the original. The only issue with dd is it is very slow. Then a regular copy for backing up user data.

Additionally, the SSD in the Kronos can be swapped out easily. No downsides, only upsides.

So you can pop a new SSD in the Kronos and turn it on and it will know what to do? Guess I thought the O.S. was on the SSD.

[...]My trusty Motif ES has everything baked in. 17 years old and still a workhorse. [...]

User Voice data, Performances, Patterns, Songs, Utility mode (System) settings are all stored in flash memory in your Motif ES. It seems it's been working for 17 years.

I had no idea that Flash memory was used in that manner on the Motif. Interesting.

So you can pop a new SSD in the Kronos and turn it on and it will know what to do? Guess I thought the O.S. was on the SSD.

OS is on the SSD. Kronos comes with restore DVDs. If you put a new SSD into a Kronos, you can connect a USB DVD drive and restore that way. (Though 10 years from now, a USB DVD drive may not be the easiest thing to find...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

actually, Kronos 1 , SSD upgrade is 'easier '.

For Kronos 2, its a tighter process as internals are crowded.

Not on the K2 73... I"ve done it twice and it is a piece of cake. Hardest part is taking out the screws on the bottom panel.

OS is on the SSD. Kronos comes with restore DVDs. If you put a new SSD into a Kronos, you can connect a USB DVD drive and restore that way. (Though 10 years from now, a USB DVD drive may not be the easiest thing to find...)

It is also quite simple to clone the original SSD (to a much larger SSD even), as long as it is functional. Then the original drive can be stored away should it need to be employed again for cloning due to a drive failure.

It is also quite simple to clone the original SSD (to a much larger SSD even), as long as it is functional. Then the original drive can be stored away should it need to be employed again for cloning due to a drive failure.

Yes, failure will be easier to accomodate if you prepare for it! Also, I was thinking that even if you don't have a USB DVD drive around, you can probably use images via other media, so as long as any USB readable media is around, you should be able to restore.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've used this approach with my Receptor 2. I cloned a drive a few years ago and picked up an SSD last year and cloned and installed that, so now I've actually got two backups. I know it's essentially frozen in time (I have no desire to add any software to it as it does more than I begin to use), but I rely mostly on it to run Ivory.

The ironic part of owning the Receptor and something that others will certainly run into, is that I've got to keep an old laptop that hasn't been upgraded to Win10 as nothing new will interface with it.