Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ticketmaster's Covid Plan

According to an article in Billboard, the basics are you buy a ticket, and you get access to it only if you'd tested negative in the last 24 to 72 hours, or had the vaccine (which means you'd have to authorize vaccine providers to send the results to a company like CLEAR). Apparently the goal is to avoid on-site testing. However, Ticketmaster has not stated a refund policy yet on what happens if you buy a ticket, and then catch the coronavirus so you're denied access...I guess there are still details that need to be worked out. It will be interesting to see how this ends up.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will scalpers have to include counterfeit certificates with the tickets?

It will be a LONG time before I intentionally find myself in a large crowd of people, masks or not.

The next few months look to be brutal, be safe everyone!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My understanding is that a lot of people paid for tickets for various events scheduled for March or April, but they don't get a refund unless the concert is cancelled. If it's postponed, they get to hold on your money (and have it gain interest, of course), even though you didn't get to go to the concert you paid for.

It's kind of neither here nor there, unless someone has been tested 12 hours prior - and even then it may not be close enough - the test won't be perfect. And the test(s) have an error rate.

A better thing would be if they invested (or someone.....) in a clearinghouse company that mediates *antibody testing*.

It would be profitable. Because not only is it going to be necessary, another thing people aren't thinking about is

..... if I take the vaccine I'll never know if I had it previously or not, unless I get an antibody test.

Which some are only of a 60% accuracy.

A company that offered antibody testing with an online security ticket will be useful by mid 2021. Not just for businesses like Ticketmaster, Regal Cinemas, but also for the plethora of millions that will want to know both before they get vaccinated if they're positive for the antibodies but then also AFTER, in order to know if they've seroconverted.

There is so much... armchair science around vaccines and convid it's.. frightening, another harbinger of how uneducated we've become. It's going to be such a mess. Ticvketmaster, the movie theaters, clubs - they've got to be controlled to keep the virus from continuing through the 10% the vaccines won't cover, and the anti-science abstainers.

There will be people that say "I'm vaccinated so I'm perfectly safe!" - 1 in 10 won't be. And then the people that refuse to get vaccinated, or *know" they have the antibodies will keep it in circulation.

THIS MUST NOT HAPPEN!!!

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I had gigs booked over a year ago for a number of dates this season. They are all cancelled, and I returned their deposits. It's not their fault they had to cancel so I couldn't in good faith punish them for cancelling the gigs.

I had an e-mail a while back asking me if we were available on a particular date. I said "Yes." I politely asked what precautions they were making for the band and guests (social distancing, masks, etc.) and I haven't heard from them since.

The place I played all season for 12 years in a row is hiring single guitar player/singers for $20 and a meal this season. With business down so much they can hardly afford that, and the guitar player/singers are so desperate they are willing to chance on death to play.

I'm not in a hurry to buy a ticket to see anyone play.

Our industry is suffering, and it's not just the big national acts.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

So, you haven't gone to a large concert in 31 years?

For me, it's probably been about 50 years. And back then, a "large" concert, with few exceptions, was an audience of about 2500-3000.

Of course it only takes the person with a cold sitting next to you to give you the sniffles.

I generally go to symphony concerts, and buy tickets from the venue.

A problem with gigging for a living is that all the big acts come to town on the weekends when I'm gigging (I'd rather be gigging). And if I'm not gigging, I can't afford the ticket price.

The big symphony orchestras usually come on Tuesdays and/or Sundays. (I'd still rather be gigging but those are slow days.)

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

No I haven't patronized TicketBastard.

Back then there was a small arena where I saw my concerts. That venue was owned by the county. About 1995 touring groups stopped booking there because the high fees from the county and from TicketbBastard were cutting into their profits.

The next biggest arena is 90 miles away. Also owned by the county. The sound in that arena is TERRIBLE, I haven't gone to a concert there since 1985. Touring groups stopped booking there for the same reasons.

I live in a rural area, there are no large concert venues near me. Today none of the arenas within driving distance have concerts. I have never been to a concert larger than ~5000 people. I am not one of those people who drives over two hours to see a band, nor will I pay the extortionate ticket prices (and parking fees and concession stand prices) they are demanding these days. I am not a fool.

There are a couple of small venues near me with decent stages where the "has been" touring acts do play. I heard some touring groups at the state fair too. I get to see Styx, Foreigner, quite a few groups who never played arenas near me back then they always booked the large places in their prime. I prefer the small venues - better sound, better visibility, and no TicketBastard markup and fees.

The last "big" concert I attended was BB King with Jeff Beck opening. It was in an outdoor stadium in Fresno, sometime in the early 2000s. Probably 9,000 people in a 16,000 seat stadium.

I'm glad I got to see them, both performers were excellent.

I saw Ray Charles, Tower of Power, Bob Dylan around then too and Jethro Tull with Cheap Trick opening but none of those were what I would consider a "big" concert.

Since I moved up here I've been to some great music events but nothing large. The cost, logistics, excessive volume, crowded chaos - none of that appeals to me in the slightest.

My options pre-Covid were Seattle (a logistical nightmare) and Vancouver (also potentially a source of torment). Now there are zero options, no shows, nada. Border to BC is closed and all I really want there is some genuine Chinese food.

I am in the "Way too loud and Doesn't really sound good" camp. Add in "Good seats are stupid money and bad seats are bad" and I doubt I'll be going to another big concert, ever.

Saw LOTS of great stuff decades ago, suffered through the annoyances and enjoyed lots of great performances. It was enough.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.