Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A belated happy birthday to me

Sharkman

I just started dipping the screw threads in wood glue and they never backed out on me after that (using Dunlop Strap locks on my Strats and Teles). Before I started using a little glue, the screws would back out now and then on the front lock and I had to carry a Phillips head screw driver with me to the gigs, just in case they loosened up on me... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I've had the opposite experience- that is, I greatly prefer the Dunlop StrapLoks to the Schaller Strap Locks. Besides being lower-profile (I hate the obtrusive jutting "toggles" of the Schallers, visually and ergonomically), I've had the strap-born components of those Schallers fall apart- there's very little, shallow threading between the fastening hardware- dropping the guitar, in spite of the Schaller's stirrup-like 'cups'.

LOCTITE BLUE OR EVEN RED THREAD-LOCKER IS VERY, VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR THE STRAP-MOUNTING FASTENERS OF THE SCHALLER STRAP-LOCKS!!!

I really like the Dunlop StrapLoks on my Les Paul; my only recommendation with them is, apply a dab of Teflon-gel lubricant to the bearing-surfaces with the coupling, to eliminate squeaks and squeals from ringing out audibly through your guitars body and even pickups, amp and speakers. (Whale noises! :D ) The same goes for the stirrup-cups on the Schaller Strap-Locks, though be careful NOT to get any on the threaded nut and body that mounts them to the strap- that's where you definitely want some Loctite thread-locker, or your guitar WILL inevitably, eventually take a dive.

I have never had the problem you mention. I've always secured the lock gently in a vise with plastic jaw blocks (Zyliss) and tightend the nut the supplied washer using a proper socket wrench. Strap ends are crushed down a bit, which is fine with me.

Long ago, Dunlop paid full pop for 2 repairs I did to broken Les Paul headstocks because the attachment system is weak.

Most of the time I just use a large washer with a small hole and screw the strap permanently to the guitar. The strap on my Gibson ES 335 Studio has been screwed onto the guitar since 1989 and it's not going anywhere.

Not only the best, by far the cheapest!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I just started dipping the screw threads in wood glue and they never backed out on me after that (using Dunlop Strap locks on my Strats and Teles). Before I started using a little glue, the screws would back out now and then on the front lock and I had to carry a Phillips head screw driver with me to the gigs, just in case they loosened up on me... :cool:

When I install my strap locks, I take a flat toothpick, dip the narrow end in some wood glue, and slip that into the screw hole, then I let it set for 15-20 minutes, before I install the screws. It adds mass back to the screw hole, and creates a nice tight new thread fitted to the screw. Works on furniture, what-have-you, anything wooden.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

+1 Winston, Before selling them, I have used the toothpick trick on two of my Teles. They got to the point that the screw wouldn't tighten anymore, so I just added a little new wood and glue in the hole using the toothpick method and wah-lah! I got tired of carrying the screw driver to gigs and jams on a couple of my Strats so I just added the glue sans toothpick while the holes were still new and that did the trick. When I got two more Strats, I installed the strap locks just using the glue on the threads and they have never backed out again (knock on wood). Now days, I just use the stock strap holders on my other guitars and seldom use a strap anymore (as I mostly play sitting down). :thu:

ps. I still have 3 straps set up with strap locks, just in case I decide to start playing those 3 remaining Strats in the closet LOL!

Take care, Larryz