Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I�ve been laid off yet again!

So, I have been laid off for a third time this year, because of this stupid pandemic. Haven"t been able to receive any unemployment. Because of a messed up website, and not being able to get a hold of a live person. At the unemployment office. :mad:

I am so done with 2020.I am ready for 2021!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back I started a job of not having a job, this year I was offered a job and accepted.

Getting ready to go to work now.

I liked my "not having a job job" hopefully I can go back to it. I wasn't fired or anything, no staff, no sub-human resources, just me not doing stuff.

This too shall pass, cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Everybody be safe and be cautious!!!

The upcoming holidays will be fraught with peril, protect yourselves and your loved ones and hide. There will be more holidays, live to enjoy them!!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Unfortunately, the 2020 download contained a virus. We're all having to re-format our hard drives, and hope that we have backups of everything important.

I've lost several long-term writing gigs this year: Sound on Sound (writing for them since the 80s), Guitar Player (since the 70s), and Pro Sound News (since the 90s). And of course, I lost the Gibson gig when they imploded in 2017. But I've found other opportunities, like the Studio One books, web content for various companies, my product line, Musicplayer.com, etc.

The bottom line is that life is always in flux, and surprises - both good and bad - crop up when you least expect them. Paul, look around you, stay open to possibilities, and realize your future direction may be a whole lot better than the last one.

There have been times in my life when something fell apart, and only later did I realize it was the best thing that could ever have happened. Here's hoping the same happens with you!!!

Sorry, Paul. Good luck with what's next.

Some thoughts â calendar years are arbitrary designations, and we're pattern-seeking machines. So, we humans can easily see bad things happening "together" even though they're realistically unrelated and may have happened anyway (obviously the economic crash is tied directly to the pandemic and the protests would probably have turned out different if people were working). Yes, a lot of bad stuff happened in 2020, but I can talk about some great stuff that happened to me this year, too. Bringing on 2021 may or may not end the problems we're seeing. All I can tell you is that (and this is my other big thought) nothing is permanent. Not me, not you, not the planet, not my job, not yours, this forum, nothing. Will it be better? Will it be worse? It will be different, so I try to make the most of it whatever it is. It's not always easy, and lots of times I fall flat on my face. But we keep going. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Bringing on 2021 may or may not end the problems we're seeing.

I'd go so far as to say it won't end a lot of the problems we're seeing, which have roots that go back decades. However, being perhaps idiotically optimistic, I believe that most broken things can be repaired if the will is there.

Sorry to hear that Paul.

My last gig was March 17, and I don't see a gig coming in the future. Florida unemployment is designed to fail and the guy who paid to have it designed that way got elected twice since then. Oh well.

So we have to depend on our own creativity to survive. Good luck, I hope you find something.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

With winter approaching, gigging friends of mine getting COVID and one dying, sometimes I feel lucky to be unemployed.

Back in 1985 we targeted the retirement market here in Florida, and until COVID it was steady, paid decent (for a musician), had good hours, and an appreciative audience. Now my audience is in the so-called vulnerable group, they cancelled their gigs, I returned their deposits, and they will not reschedule until they feel safe.

So I'm working harder at my safety net, writing style e-disks and fake e-disks for Band-in-a-Box. Writing software is like writing a book (I'm sure Craig understands this) it takes months and months of creation and revision to end up with something you are satisfied with and you thin provides good value for the price you will charge.

I figure by late-winter I might have enough to release enough to the public. The problem is I sell these products to musicians and many of them are also unemployed -- but then others have day jobs and play music for fun.

Wish me luck ;)

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<