Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slick Basses

So Earl Slick (ex-David Bowie among others) created a line of guitars that are really amazing for the price. Actually, they are pretty amazing, period. Brass hardware, slightly relic'ed, feels and sounds worn in. In video reviews, YouTube influencers only mildly complain about the plastic nut, although all agree that it's not an issue.

They have basses as well. Has anyone played one? I may buy one just to see.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-Bass-Guitars-_c_608.html

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks for all the world like a bunch of P-Basses.

Nothing wrong with that, both of my basses are more or less also P-Basses.

If those are your thing, here's a tip - something I've done for a few customers (I'm a guitar tech).

Start with a Squier because they are fully compatible with Fender dimensions and you can often find used ones in great condition for under $100.

As time and money allow, replace the neck with a premium aftermarket brand like Warmoth or USAG.

Over time, replace the electronics, the hardware, and eventually the body. Pay as you go, buy each piece individually and focus on getting exactly what you want.

When you've replaced everything, you can put the Squier back together and either keep it for a backup or sell it.

It is a great way to get what you want without using credit, waiting until you have enough money or doing without.

Not sure if there is a way to find out if the Slick brand is adhering to exact Fender dimensions but if they are then you could do it that way too.

On the other hand, if it plays great as-is, the pickups are certainly standard P-Bass sized so maybe just replacing the electronics is all you would want.

Nobody should ever gig with an import instrument without at least replacing the cheap crappy output jack with a Switchcraft.

The jacks that Slick and Squier use will fail, not a matter of if, a matter of when. Since a gig is the most inconvenient time, guess what!!??? :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks for the advice. It"s great for the use case you are describing.

So has anyone played one? I"m curious about the weight.

Wood varies so the weight probably does too. Maybe contact the seller and ask if they know?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think they look interesting, and the prices aren't bad, but the marketing copy can be a little... hyperbolic.

Here's a few reviews-

One for bass-

[video:youtube]

and a few for guitar-

(no affiliation with any of the above)

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I"m curious about the weight.

No worries. If it's too heavy just borrow a router and a drill press and go to town.

Gumby supplied to give a sense of scale and depth.

124716722_10223670024320191_8126007296824285198_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=StDPL4vtUNAAX8ViPf1&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=7be270f38a675ada8f0e97b4672e005b&oe=5FD117E6

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Keeping the mood light, a few comments on the thumbnails of the videos Wraub was kind enough to post:

Thumbnail 1: Dude, you're inside. Take off the hat.

Thumbnail 2: Does the neck-bow cost extra?

Thumbnail 3: Elvis is always watching.

Thumbnail 4: When slap/pop becomes a thing on guitar, he's ready.

I can't listen to the actual videos now (working) - I just felt the need for some levity.

Thank you. I'm here all week.

Play. Just play.