Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Faster Than Every Currently Shipping Mac Laptop"

Apple Insider Rumor

New Apple Silicon Macbooks 'Faster Than Every Currently Shipping Mac Laptop"

' Apple Insider is reporting that a Geekbench 5 test of an unannounced 'A14X" processor shows it delivering multi-core performance of 7220, an increase in performance over earlier Apple chips.

It"s also better performance than current Intel-based Mac laptops. For comparison, a 16-inch MacBook Pro with the Intel Core-i9 processor scores 6869 for multi-core tests.'

fun-final-a14x-speculation.png

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/11/06/new-apple-silicon-macbooks-faster-than-every-currently-shipping-mac-laptop/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't mean much if 80% of the programs we use won't work. Also curious about lifespan...iOS devices seem to have somewhat of a limited lifespan (though the computers do too). Hoping my Macbook Pro 16" i9/32GB/8GB will last me for a long time.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I would imagine Apple Pro Apps are ready to go. After all, the plan was in place before they ever said so publicly. Same as Apple already had OSX running side by side on Intel before they went that route commercially. If Logic/MainStage and Final Cut are ready - that"s what I use a Mac for. I haven"t checked on what Adobe has in mind - but they already have Photoshop running on iOS, so they are very familiar. Third party plugins will follow and drivers for hardware still in production will arrive quickly because there"s money to be made. As usual, not a great scenario for companies with a reputation for killing driver support for hardware they no longer sell.

Still running a 2014 MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of RAM and it's doing what I need for now.

I'm thinking I'll get an inexpensive Billy G Box to surf the web and just take this offline for studio work.

If it lasts as long as other Macs have lasted for me, I can think about buying a used 2021 Mac in about 2025 or so - knock on wood.

That move may be a bit painful, so it goes.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I figure I also have a while. 2016 laptop, terrible keyboard but it stays closed anyway, everything's on a 32" monitor which is nirvana :) The fan tends to get loud with more tracks but I mostly use software instruments in any case.

I have enough 3rd party plugins, plus every daw has their own, that I could move fairly easily (for new songs at least) to Windows if I feel the need/don't want to stay in the Apple ecosystem. I've been using various daws and sequencers on Mac, Dos (voyetra!) and Windows for a long time, youtube helps a lot with the learning curve these days!

curious about lifespan...iOS devices seem to have somewhat of a limited lifespan

iOS devices do have more limited functional lifespan due specifically to some terrible Apple policies, like an inability to backup your apps (so if they are no longer on Apple's server, you can no longer restore them); the inability to go back to a previous OS (whether temporarily or permanently) if that could address an issue that arises; the inability to download a version of an app that runs on an older OS even if that version exists (you'll get a message saying you need the newer OS... but miraculously, if you download the app onto another device that has that newer OS, you'll be able to load the older OS version of the app onto your other device, proving that there's no technical issue preventing you from getting the app, it's just Apple's decision to further "obsolete" your older device). For the most part, they have been better in their Mac environment, and I hope that doesn't change.

But at this point, I don't intend to move to a newer computer until/unless my current computer can no longer access the web and/or email, or the motherboard fails.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What a shock, the new tech that Apple has spent millions of dollars developing and tooling up for is going to perform better than their older machines? In other late-breaking news, water is wet and fire is hot. My 2013 MBP does everything I need to do and I expect it to last another few years. I'm also pretty confident saying no music software dev is going to abandon the Intel platform anytime soon. Of course as a bit of a tech-nerd I find the new stuff interesting and I'll likely tune in to see what they come up with.

What a shock, the new tech that Apple has spent millions of dollars developing and tooling up for is going to perform better than their older machines? In other late-breaking news, water is wet and fire is hot. My 2013 MBP does everything I need to do and I expect it to last another few years. I'm also pretty confident saying no music software dev is going to abandon the Intel platform anytime soon. Of course as a bit of a tech-nerd I find the new stuff interesting and I'll likely tune in to see what they come up with.

I"d be impressed if the new silicon goes into the standard Mac Book / Mac Book Air and it out performs a current 8-core MacBook Pro. Audio wise I"ve enough processing power to do anything I imagine doing. Video wise, more is always better.

Yesterday I walked past a great big ad for the new iPhone. It proudly declared "The Ultimate iPhone", and of course it will be for the next 18 months.

Apple silicon will also be The Ultimate, when all the apps eventually run on it. At least, it will be The Ultimate for a while.

"Do things that don't scale." - Paul Graham

I always have G.A.S. for new hardware, but I think pure performance on the Mac is not an issue for the majority of users. Even for the much smaller group of "professional" users, it's more about convenience and G.A.S. than the actual "need for speed".

For me the most interesting reason to upgrade is the inter-changeable apps between MacOS Big Sur and iOS. Not only would that be useful to me today, but I think it creates a fantastic development environment for audio apps and how we use them - that's what I'm looking forward to from the new Apple Silicon.

Yesterday I walked past a great big ad for the new iPhone. It proudly declared "The Ultimate iPhone", and of course it will be for the next 18 months.

Apple silicon will also be The Ultimate, when all the apps eventually run on it. At least, it will be The Ultimate for a while.

"Do things that don't scale." - Paul Graham

Yes, but one huge advantage of Apple moving to its own silicon is that after a year or 18 months, there will be a new machine, with a new chip, and new technologies in it. Intel's chip development has stagnated for more than the past 5 years. Apple's future depends on its chips advancing on a regular schedule; we will all benefit from that.

I'd be more interested in an Apple Silicon Mac Mini in this first go-round. I think it would make an interesting, high speed, efficient and affordable media server. I'm tired of the limited capability, erratic performance and relatively high cost of dedicated NAS appliances, and would be happy to drop a few hundred on a Mac Mini Server for my home.

I just bought a 27" 5K iMac, which I'm sure I can get many quality years out of. Software compatibility over the short term is my main concern for Apple Silicon Macs, as I don't use Logic. Can't handle a break in continuity since I just got my home studio running efficiently after a few upgrades. Also can't trust that third party developers will be universally out of the gate with 100% compatible apps, so I'm fine with not jumping on the bleeding edge ship here.

The new iMac replaces a 2011 iMac 21". It still runs fine for the most part (I think the DVD drive is dead), but the OS is now a few revs back and I like keeping my software up to date. I got many good years out of that computer, so I'm also not concerned about the longevity of the new one.

While I'm not a laptop user (the iPad Pro covers all my mobile needs), I think migrating the MacBooks first are a great idea, since it will payoff in battery efficiency, heat management and performance. Interesting that Apple did not release a 21" Intel based iMac with the 27", but there are rumors about a 24" Apple Silicon iMac to take its place.

We will see in a few days.

People who just want raw CPU power would never be buying a Mac for that purpose.

People who want a maximum power/price ratio should also look elsewhere.

But the key here isn"t whether their ARMs are more powerful thank the Intel wafers...rather, will they pass the savings onto customers who like/need the workflow and user experience of OSX. I don"t begrudge Apple a single penny unless they derive it from defrauding customers. In this case we"ll have to wait to see if they are trying to get larger market share or if they are trying to create another premium tier.

"For instance" is not proof.

People who just want raw CPU power would never be buying a Mac for that purpose.

People who want a maximum power/price ratio should also look elsewhere.

But the key here isn"t whether their ARMs are more powerful thank the Intel wafers...rather, will they pass the savings onto customers who like/need the workflow and user experience of OSX. I don"t begrudge Apple a single penny unless they derive it from defrauding customers. In this case we"ll have to wait to see if they are trying to get larger market share or if they are trying to create another premium tier.

They/we want maximum power/price that will run OSX, Logic/MainStage and Final Cut Pro. In the high end, ProTools HD as well, and/or perhaps some boutique OSX only hardware. Were it not for this, yeah home built or HP Xeon based workstation with other software would do the trick for less. This is also why so many dabble in Hackintosh. Switching to their own silicon will dampen that scene a bit a few years out from now.

More than raw speed, I'm looking forward to a laptop that doesn't run nearly as hot. I spend a lot of time in a tropical climate where the last thing I need is another source of heat, and dramatically less fan noise would be hugely welcome. That said - I'm currently planning to hold out for the second revision of MacBook Pro models based on Apple Silicon. I expect it'll take that long for drivers to emerge for some of the hardware I rely on in any case.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Have a late 2016 15" MBP, the keyboard went bad (really bad!) but thru the replacement program I have for all intents and purposes a new machine. Will watch the updates with great interest, but am hoping to hold off another year before upgrading. FWIW, I did get an Apple Card, so I can pay for it interest free over two years.

2011 MBP still doing me well. Upgraded it to a 500GB SSD, and it's doing everything I need it to do. Still got a lowly 4GB of RAM, but hoping to upgrade that soon.

At what point does power become redundant for the average live user? Never?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

At what point does power become redundant for the average live user? Never?

Interesting question, and I think it's more appropriate to look at what a basic computer (rather than a high spec computer) can do. If you buy an entry level MacBook Air today and pay $30 for MainStage, you can play say a half dozen instruments at a quality that exceeds most keyboards. Sure there are going to be power users who want to run NI Komplete or Spitfire BBCSO ... large sample libraries. But for basic use we ARE pretty much at the point where power is redundant. Convenience and reliability have become at least as important as power if not more so, in my opinion.

IMHO, power begets speed and scale (of possible simultaneous computations). The need for speed and scale is defined by user application and expectation.

For using a single piano VST live, there is an amount of power which becomes sufficient for mission critical usage, and anything more than that is superfluous. For seamless, perceived-latency-less multitrack postproduction, we need more. For analysis of petabytes of user data (if that's your cuppa), different story.

PF Flyers and application evolution suggests we always want to run faster and jump higher. The question is what will the average live user demand in a couple of years.

And a related question - what else besides the silicon might become the next practical bottleneck in computing?

I'm far from an expert, but it seems to me that for "in the box" processing that plugins continue to be more hungry for resources to push the computers. Oversampling, for example (putting aside whether most people can hear the difference or not!). Emulations such as u-he's Repro are way more resource-intensive than older synths I used--though my macbook pro doesn't currently have two much problems unless I go bananas with my track count without freezing tracks. Some people run sessions at 96K or above and that takes more resources, I've never tried that personally. Plugins also are getting fancier with moving and 3d graphics.

Not too different from video games vs video cards. I used to go to lan parties in the late 90s where most people didn't even have a 3d video card to play Unreal Tournament (a first-person shooter game). Granted, the people that did had a huge advantage in visual clarity! Those early video cards were orders of magnitude weaker than today's, yet there are still games that cause issues at highest quality (at higher resolutions to be sure.)