Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Emerson

Wish he was still with us... Let's pause to reflect on the incredible music he created today, his birthday.

Happy Birthday Keith, you are missed.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I got to see Keith perform his "Piano Improvisations" as part of the "Karn Evil 9" tour. I bumped into a few walls like a space cadet for a week afterwards. I'm preaching to the choir to say so here, but yep, it left an astounding mark on me. Hats off, gents.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

The much-awaited release date of The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert Blu-ray has been announced today - which would have been Keith's 76th birthday.

We are pleased to announce the release date of MARCH 11, 2021

....which is the fifth anniversary of the day his soul became free.

Watch the trailer: [video:youtube]

Please stay updated and connected via this FB page Remembering Keith Emerson FB Group, and on his website: Keith Emerson Website

- Press Release -

All-Star Keith Emerson Tribute Concert Release Announced

Los Angeles, CA - In celebration of Keith Emerson's 76th birthday, The Keith Emerson Estate and Cherry Red Records announce the long-awaited release of The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert on March 11, 2021 (the 5th anniversary of Keith's passing). This official 3-disc set brings you the historical 2016 tribute show in Los Angeles featuring a once-in-a-lifetime lineup of musical luminaries performing music from Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Nice, Emerson, Lake & Powell, The Keith Emerson Band and the Three Fates Project.

The 2 1/2 - hour concert film features many stellar performances by over two dozen prominent artists in rock, jazz and classical music as well as artist interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, tribute speeches, and a gallery of personal never-before-seen photos from the Emerson estate. The concert will be released on Blu-Ray along with a bonus 2-CD set which features an exclusive audio recording of the show.

Performers include Brian Auger, Eddie Jobson, Jordan Rudess, Steve Lukather, Steve Porcaro, Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter, Vinnie Colaiuta, Marc Bonilla, Gregg Bissonnette, CJ Vanston, Troy Luccketta, Rachel Flowers, Terje Mikkelsen, Philippe Saisse, Joe Travers, Travis Davis, Ed Roth, Jonathan Sindelman, Mike Wallace, Mick Mahan, Karma Auger, Rick Livingstone, Kae Matsumoto, Aaron Emerson, Dan Lutz, and Michael Fitzpatrick.

This highly-anticipated concert captures the essence of what made Keith Emerson a pioneer of prog rock, a treasure among his many fans and friends, and a legendary keyboardist and composer with the iconic supergroup Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

'It was a great honor to be asked to play in tribute to not only a friend but a musical giant and hero to us all. I hope he smiles from heaven knowing the spirit this was done in. So many unreal musicians and thanks to Marc for putting it all together like that! RIP Keith. You are so missed...' - Steve Lukather, 2020

All proceeds go to the charity The Dystonia Medical Research Foundation, which was close to Keith"s heart. Artists, crew and all involved have donated their skills and time gratis for this worthy cause, which afflicts thousands of musicians annually.

For more information and updates on the Blu-ray release, please visit:

Keith's webpage

I got to see Keith perform his "Piano Improvisations" as part of the "Karn Evil 9" tour. I bumped into a few walls like a space cadet for a week afterwards. I'm preaching to the choir to say so here, but yep, it left an astounding mark on me. Hats off, gents.

I saw them on that tour as well and was left with the same overwhelming impression. KE had it all....amazing technical ability, showmanship, a synth pioneer, and of course a great composer.

I saw the Karn Evil 9 tour, I've always referred to it as the Brain Salad Surgery tour, that was the album they were promoting. Quad sound system.

ELP was a fantastic group, Keith was the only keyboard player I've seen who could make the entire audience sweat just watching him play.

He was fantastic, a great musician and performer. Greg Lake and Carl Palmer totally held their ends up as well, truly one of the best shows I've seen, ever.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I saw ELP on their first American tour in a 1200 seat opera house. Mott the Hoople opened. My band mates and I were in the first row balcony maybe 50 feet from the stage. We had devoured their debut album and were primed and ready. I remember the drum kit had the Tarkus logo on it. We didn't know what it was, because the second album hadn't been released yet.

Before the show I kept craning my neck to spot this mythical Moog modular, but it was nowhere to be seen. Then the stage crew trundled it out on a folding table mere seconds before ELP went on. I later found out that the early instrument was so unstable that they were working on it and bringing it in tune until the show started.

Then, minds were blown.

Moe

---

hELP

I need somebody

hELP

Not just anybody

hELP

You know I need someone

hELP

I never needed anybody's help in any way

But now that Keith is gone...

I gotta see that concert!

Thanks for posting about it!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

This is a fun site to help recall the shows you"ve seen.

ELP tour dates

Mine are:

9/1/71 Gaelic Park NY

11/25/71 MSG NY

4/10 and 11/72 Academy Of Music NY

8/19/72 Convention Hall Asbury Park NJ

11/15/73 Miami FL

8/20/74 Roosevelt Stadium NJ

7/22 and 24/92 Tower Theatre (first met Keith) and then Mann Music Center

11/17/93 Beacon Theatre NY

8/30/96 Jones Beach NY

9/14/97 Westbury NY

8/9/98. Wantagh NY

I was lucky to see so many early shows, when they were in their prime. Changed my life.

His first tour was my first concert by any artist. I was in maybe 10th grade and my Dad drove a friend and I downtown to a small performance hall, and I was in awe. I had just joined my first band and begged my parents to buy me a Yamaha YC 30 combo organ because I naively thought I could play Lucky Man on that portamento strip. Still have that organ put away somewhere. Sentimental.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

ELP was my first favorite band, thanks to poking around my dad's record collection when I was a freshman in high school. Of course, back then I foolishly thought I wanted to sing and play bass / guitar. Now I know keys are where it's at! Hat's off to you, Mr. Emerson.

I saw the Karn Evil 9 tour, I've always referred to it as the Brain Salad Surgery tour, that was the album they were promoting. Quad sound system.

ELP was a fantastic group, Keith was the only keyboard player I've seen who could make the entire audience sweat just watching him play.

He was fantastic, a great musician and performer. Greg Lake and Carl Palmer totally held their ends up as well, truly one of the best shows I've seen, ever.

I've long thought of it as "Karn Evil 9" because the "Brain Salad Surgery" single was a swing-&-a-miss to my ear, like a quick studio warm-up noodle fest. I enjoyed Keith's playing, but it belongs in an ELP B-sides collection. I had a cognitive disconnect when I contrasted it with the rest of the album. "Benny the Bouncer" was the right choice.

Behold this outstanding orchestral "Tarkus." I'm happy to see orchestras take up ELP here and there, since it was essentially classical music to begin with.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

The song "Brain Salad Surgery" was basically a leftover that ended up on Works Vol II, which was sort of a "leftovers" album anyway if you ask me.

Yes, but it was still better than Love Beach!!! :D

Ya....Love Beach... Kind of a 1/2 Greg Lake solo album. I wonder if people would've given Love Beach a wee bit more love if it was called something else and didn't sport that hideous "Bee Gees" cover photo.

Ya....Love Beach... Kind of a 1/2 Greg Lake solo album. I wonder if people would've given Love Beach a wee bit more love if it was called something else and didn't sport that hideous "Bee Gees" cover photo.
Yeah, I should have known better based on the album cover when I bought the LP. The final nail in the coffin of prog rock...

Keith Emerson and Oscar Peterson. I came across this clip purely by accident.

The upright bassist is Roy Babbington of Soft Machine.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Okay friends, time for me to admit something that may shock you: outside of "Lucky Man" and the radio version of "Karn Evil 9," I have listened to very, very little ELP.

Which album would you recommend as a starting place for a newbie?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Okay friends, time for me to admit something that may shock you: outside of "Lucky Man" and the radio version of "Karn Evil 9," I have listened to very, very little ELP.

Which album would you recommend as a starting place for a newbie?

Trilogy is good.

So is Brain Salad Surgery. I saw ELP on that tour.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Get "The Very Best of ELP" and you'll get hits from Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery -- and others too.

I'm not a big fan of the song "Pirates", but oh well . . .

(I'd always wondered if that song wasn't written to try and win the nod for writing the Pirates of Caribbean soundtrack... But it's too literal; while the POC music, as credited to composer Klaus Badelt and producer Hans Zimmer, was great in my opinion.)

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs